1150 EF updating project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blower View Post
    Holy smoking tires Batman!!!! I forgot how cool this build was. That bike is a true monster, and it looks awesome. Any plans for a side cover of sorts visually connect the tank to the tail?

You do very excellent work. Kudos and keep going!!!

Comment

I have had a lot of problems to get the engine running smoothly between 2000 - 3000 rpm and #3 spark plug has been fouled several times (itīs been covered with black soot).
      Few days ago I found the reason for the problems. It was the yoshi st1 cams!
      I measured every valve and find some strange things. Cylinder #1 and #2 valves opens and closes 11 degrees earlier than #3 and #4. Cyl. #3 exhaust stays 50 degrees more open than others (only 0.016", but anyway).
      Iīve got the valve lash set as it was in yoshi specs.
      I change to the stock cams and now it runs a lot better, no valve noise and exhaust temperatures between the cylinders are equal. With yoshi cams there was nearly 300 F difference in the exhaust temperatures between #3 and #4.

Comment

I was looking my fuel tank in the painters shop today.

This or flat black...

Comment

I was looking my fuel tank in the painters shop today.

This or flat black...

that, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a flat black street fighter.

Comment

I have had a lot of problems to get the engine running smoothly between 2000 - 3000 rpm and #3 spark plug has been fouled several times (itīs been covered with black soot).
            Few days ago I found the reason for the problems. It was the yoshi st1 cams!
            I measured every valve and find some strange things. Cylinder #1 and #2 valves opens and closes 11 degrees earlier than #3 and #4. Cyl. #3 exhaust stays 50 degrees more open than others (only 0.016", but anyway).
            Iīve got the valve lash set as it was in yoshi specs.
            I change to the stock cams and now it runs a lot better, no valve noise and exhaust temperatures between the cylinders are equal. With yoshi cams there was nearly 300 F difference in the exhaust temperatures between #3 and #4.
            Good to hear that you've got it fairly sorted. Strange goings on with those Yoshi cams.

I still think that you'll need to reduce that overlap. Perhaps a set of custom ground cams are now in order!
            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              Good to hear that you've got it fairly sorted. Strange goings on with those Yoshi cams.

I still think that you'll need to reduce that overlap. Perhaps a set of custom ground cams are now in order!
              I degree the both cams lobe center lines in 110.
              Is it possible to use intake cam in exhaust side (intake cam in both sides)?

Comment

This thread is a pretty good resume for a job as a bike designer. What do you work with anyway Blower?

Comment

Originally posted by Walle View Post
                  This thread is a pretty good resume for a job as a bike designer. What do you work with anyway Blower?
                  My "day work" is the first engineer in the passenger ferry and motorcycles are my hobby.

Comment

I degree the both cams lobe center lines in 110.
                    Is it possible to use intake cam in exhaust side (intake cam in both sides)?
                    When running 2 inlet cams, you'll be increasing the exhaust lift, duration,and the overlap too. The only way to avoid excessive overlap would be by extending the slots on the sprockets. However, when you time it to reduce the overlap, you will be potentially robbing something from the power stroke.

The stock inlet cams have 8 degs extra duration than the exhausts have. So you'd be starting the exhaust cycle 8 degs earlier up the power stroke which will further increase as you dial in less overlap.

One positive though, being a supercharged setup, you should still have plenty of valve clearance to cope with the minimal increase in lift.

I'd give it a try, so you can do a comparison and make a more measured judgement about your future cam options.
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Get the fuel tank from the painter and installed.
                      I pinstripe some stripes and text to the tank. Itīs are my first pinstripes, so the quality
                      is not so good...
                      I need to continue the striping, when the paint is dryed.

Comment

and finished tank striping...

Comment

Gorgeous.

Thank you so much for not painting that beauty.

Comment

Blower, how did you get on trialling 2 inlet cams?

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                              Blower, how did you get on trialling 2 inlet cams?
                              Have not done it. I just wondering if anyone had tested it.
                              I dont have any good inlet cam to make that test.

There have been some good results using two inlet cams in hayabusas.

I have made few test/tuning rides and now itīs better than ewer with supercharger.
                              I need to take datalogging and then made fine tuning to fuel map.
                              That smoking problem i wrote earlier is almost gone!

Comment

Double inlets?

Okay, a note here. The double inlets work very well. Only, on engines with buckets. The rocker types, as the GS is is having different profiles for the opening and closing ramps. Why? As the geometry of the rocker changes as the position of the lobe changes. A better alternative is just a lreger set of aftermarket cams with more duration. Just because it is supercharged doesn't mean it needs smaller cams. Actually the GS cams were so small even compared to the first generation of the GSXR 750 that they respond nicely to the first or second stage of drop-in cams. More work is required to with more lift that these provide as the retainers hit the valve stem seal.
                                Hope it helps.
                                G
                                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Working...
                                X