Fuel Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Injection

Thought that some of you might be interested in these projects. They are done on a CB900F and a CB1100F I believe.

Here is the post on GSXR throttle conversions http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=13119

And here is the general post about fuel injection http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9270

The GSXR post is about 8 pages long, the home made FI is at 26 pages.

Kewl and interesting, been tempted to try injecting my Katana.
    It has been discussed here previously,and concerns were raised about accurate temperature definition, to allow correct adjustment of mixture at cold start and in particular during the warm-up phase.

Dink

Comment

Dink I've been thinking about it too, and I know I've seen at least one project where the builder put a toggle switch on his handlebar and marked it cold/warm. The cold position coaxed more fuel out of the computer for cold starts. When the bike was running good it was flipped to warm. This seems kind of like a "choke" to me.

I also think that the newest megasquirts are more adaptable in this regard. There should be a way to put a cylinder head temp sender on it to trigger the cold/warm map.

Comment

The first few generations of Bike EFI had a "cold start" lever. ;-) AKA.. choke. Go figure eh? Megasquirt is easily adaptable to bikes. The only real problems is power use. Most EFI pumps take 6-10amps.

There are several ways to check engine temprature. The best method I can think of is a temprature sender under a head bolt. There's also the option of checking oil temprature. Old cars used to use a "timer" aka.. electric choke. No reason you couldn't do the same.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Megasquirt works great, a problem is that you need several hours on the dyno to get the fuel tables proper. I tune 2 cars and a Ducati running with this controller and once you get it all proper it will run smother than any carb.
          I had one on my 88 Mustang for a little while then changed to an AEM that I think would also be adaptable but it is rather expensive for an engine control unit($1600).
          I use a VW squareback air cooled fi head temp sensor threaded into an upper cylinder head boss that we welded on, then you can set a warm-up profile in the software.

Glenn

Comment

What I'd like to do is 555 timer based EFI ;-) I think it could be done. I also think it could be fairly drivable.

Comment

Yeah the electrical power issue would seem to be a conern. You're already dealing with a somewhat fragile charging system. Throwing the load of a fuel pump into the mix might just bring down that house of cards. Perhaps grafting a modern charging system to the bike is a prerequisite?

Comment

I"d hardly call it fragile. :-) It just means carefull choice of efi components will need to be made. no huge deal. Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Yep, the charging system isn't huge problem but you have to keep it in mind. The biggest current consumers in EFI systems are the pump and optional heated oxygen sensor. Currrently I'm using a Mallory pump which takes about 4A and I have also a heated wideband oxygen sensor. The charging system is capable to feed everything but now there is very little margin left.

Engine temperature sensing isn't a problem at all. I have located a temperature sensor on block next to cam chain tensioner, works fine. Megasquirt have a cold enrichment table where you can fill in enrichment values for different temperatures.
                  Arttu
                  GS1100E EFI turbo
                  Project thread

Comment

Working...
                  X