1981 GS650GT Larger Gas Tank Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650GT Larger Gas Tank Mod

Does anyone make a larger gas tank for the GS650GT? I'm thinking 5.8 gallons or greater would be nice. The bike I have doesn't have much range.

Even tuned up, she goes dead at 104 miles.

Can the tank off the Katana be used or is there an Acerbis plastic tank for it?

I haven't found anything.

Originally posted by ravendon
    Does anyone make a larger gas tank for the GS650GT? I'm thinking 5.8 gallons or greater would be nice. The bike I have doesn't have much range.

Even tuned up, she goes dead at 104 miles.

Can the tank off the Katana be used or is there an Acerbis plastic tank for it?

I haven't found anything.
    What is your mpg? That doesnt seem right. My 650 gets 59 mpg with a vetter fairing. Do you have mods on it like 4into1 or pods?

Comment

It has a vetter fairing also. I bought it used and rode it from Illinois to Wisconsin. The gas went empty after 104 miles. I had the tripmeter on from the start of the trip.

It keeps dying when idle though, so I'm dropped it off at the mechanics a few days ago. Should be getting it back later today.

So how many miles do you go before having to top up? I think we have a 4 gallon gas tank on the 1981 model, which would mean a gas mileage of 26 miles/gallon on my trip.

Originally posted by tconroy
      What is your mpg? That doesnt seem right. My 650 gets 59 mpg with a vetter fairing. Do you have mods on it like 4into1 or pods?

Comment

It has a vetter fairing also. I bought it used and rode it from Illinois to Wisconsin. The gas went empty after 104 miles. I had the tripmeter on from the start of the trip.

It keeps dying when idle though, so I'm dropped it off at the mechanics a few days ago. Should be getting it back later today.

So how many miles do you go before having to top up? I think we have a 4 gallon gas tank on the 1981 model, which would mean a gas mileage of 26 miles/gallon on my trip.
        That is not good gas milage at all. Did you change the plugs,oil and air filter? That will help big time.I have a 3.2 gal tank on my L model and I can get 120 or more to reserve and 180 plus to empty! There is not a motorcycle place in missouri that will work on these older bikes, as far as a dealer companies go. They flat tell you they wont work on them except for changing tires.You can save alot of money by getting a manual and working on it yourself.

Comment

Yikes. The repairs cost $480! There was an air leak in the manifold. An o-ring was put in with sealant and they said it should have been put in dry. There was one torn gasket and one bent. The stator had to be replaced. Bad oil, premium, was flushed and regular put in. The battery needed to be replaced.
          The kickstand was replaced.

Now it runs well. Hopefully my gas mileage should improve dramatically. I'm still not used to the heavy buzz. Not sure what to do except wear thicker gloves. I get buzzing through the seat and the handlebars.

Btw, I saw pics of you bike. We have the same fairing, a Windjammer. I also have the same speakers and antenna as you, but no radio and it hasn't been put in yet. Not sure how to actually. I'm not mechanically inclined.

I did order the manual though. And I have the original owner's manual.
          So I'll go through those and learn a bit more about the bike. I'm hoping to be able to change the oil one day and maybe a filter.

Originally posted by tconroy
          That is not good gas milage at all. Did you change the plugs,oil and air filter? That will help big time.I have a 3.2 gal tank on my L model and I can get 120 or more to reserve and 180 plus to empty! There is not a motorcycle place in missouri that will work on these older bikes, as far as a dealer companies go. They flat tell you they wont work on them except for changing tires.You can save alot of money by getting a manual and working on it yourself.

Comment

Yikes. The repairs cost $480! There was an air leak in the manifold. An o-ring was put in with sealant and they said it should have been put in dry. There was one torn gasket and one bent. The stator had to be replaced. Bad oil, premium, was flushed and regular put in. The battery needed to be replaced.
            The kickstand was replaced.

Now it runs well. Hopefully my gas mileage should improve dramatically. I'm still not used to the heavy buzz. Not sure what to do except wear thicker gloves. I get buzzing through the seat and the handlebars.

Btw, I saw pics of you bike. We have the same fairing, a Windjammer. I also have the same speakers and antenna as you, but no radio and it hasn't been put in yet. Not sure how to actually. I'm not mechanically inclined.

I did order the manual though. And I have the original owner's manual.
            So I'll go through those and learn a bit more about the bike. I'm hoping to be able to change the oil one day and maybe a filter.
            Everything is pretty easy to do when you have the manual.If you can turn a ratchet,you can change your own plugs and oil filter. What gaskets where replaced?The book wont tell you anything about the fairing. Do a google search for vetter fairings and you can find a schematic on how the thing comes apart.Im going to put in a new stereo this fall. Mine works fine but it has a cassette player and I would like a cd player. Good luck and enjoy your bike.Any problems that come up can be answered on this sight thats for sure.There is more knowledge here than you will find in any manual!!

Comment

Working...
            X