4 into 1 pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 1 pipes

Are 4 to 1 pipes available for the old GS bikes? Have any of you tried these pipes, and if so, how do they work for you? Any special tuning problems?
    Any advise appreciated

yes there are a few options available.
    4>1 and 4>2
    I run a Vance and Hines 4>1 on my 1000.
    I did jet it for the pipe.
    Meaning the carbs were correctly setup with different then the factory jets.
    Depending on the brand and type of pipe you decide to use, you may or may not need to adjust or change the jets in the carbs.

Depending on what type of performance you want.
    If you want more top end, then a 4>1 pipe.
    If you want more mid range then a 4>2, which most of our bikes
    came with from the factory.
    They were/are jetted a little on the lean side to meet emissions.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by sebring38
      Are 4 to 1 pipes available for the old GS bikes? Have any of you tried these pipes, and if so, how do they work for you? Any special tuning problems?
      Any advise appreciated
      I run a Vance N Hines chrome 4 into 1 on my 850 with no jetting changes as I still have stock airbox setup, runs great, actually a little on the rich side with a slight back popping on decel, I run a Jardine 4 into 1 black with chrome canister on my 1978 GS1000E, Have not had it on long enough to make any jetting determinations yet, this bike also has the stock airbox setup, The V&H pipe has a nice sound a little loud but definately NOT obnoxious, and the Jardine has a deeper sound and not as loud as the the V&H pipe. The only bad part about the Jardine, as it meant to fit about 4 or 5 GS's, the advertizement says center stand still usuable,ONLY if you unbolt it at the canister or you will bend something.The Jardine will also require a custom made bracket to mount up at the canister, but the oval chrome canister looks good on the ol bike.

Comment

Vance and Hines make a 4 into1 street megaphone system for it...Mac makes both a 4 into 1 and a 4 into 2 system. I currently have a one-off system for mine that consists of a Mac header, and a custom midpipe, and a Holeshot Vortex 17" street core can. Gonna get it mounted up tomorrow/tuesday, hopefully. Dropped LOTS of weight, too...new set up is better than 20 lbs lighter than the stock 4 into 2!!!\\/ \\/

Put in a DJ stage one jet kit, at the baseline settings: 2.5 turns out n the air screws, DJ114 mains, stock pilots, and a stock style K&N air filter. Raised the needles up a notch, too. I do hope this is close, cause pulling off the carbs is such a pain with the stock airbox still in place.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrp
          I run a Vance N Hines chrome 4 into 1 on my 850 with no jetting changes as I still have stock airbox setup, runs great, actually a little on the rich side with a slight back popping on decel, I run a Jardine 4 into 1 black with chrome canister on my 1978 GS1000E, Have not had it on long enough to make any jetting determinations yet, this bike also has the stock airbox setup, The V&H pipe has a nice sound a little loud but definately NOT obnoxious, and the Jardine has a deeper sound and not as loud as the the V&H pipe. The only bad part about the Jardine, as it meant to fit about 4 or 5 GS's, the advertizement says center stand still usuable,ONLY if you unbolt it at the canister or you will bend something.The Jardine will also require a custom made bracket to mount up at the canister, but the oval chrome canister looks good on the ol bike.
          Jackrp, What do you notice about performance as compared to original Suzuki 4 to 2 pipes, at low end, mid range and high end?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086
            Vance and Hines make a 4 into1 street megaphone system for it...Mac makes both a 4 into 1 and a 4 into 2 system. I currently have a one-off system for mine that consists of a Mac header, and a custom midpipe, and a Holeshot Vortex 17" street core can. Gonna get it mounted up tomorrow/tuesday, hopefully. Dropped LOTS of weight, too...new set up is better than 20 lbs lighter than the stock 4 into 2!!!\\/ \\/

Put in a DJ stage one jet kit, at the baseline settings: 2.5 turns out n the air screws, DJ114 mains, stock pilots, and a stock style K&N air filter. Raised the needles up a notch, too. I do hope this is close, cause pulling off the carbs is such a pain with the stock airbox still in place.
            Man, it sure is a pain pulling those parts. I have often thought about going to pods for simplicity, but have gotten advice on this BB against it due to jetting issues. Hey, Cassius, let me know how your new set up works out. Am especially interested in performance at all speed ranges. Would like to pick up some more low end power without sacrificing the high end performance. (who wouldn't I guess).

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
              yes there are a few options available.
              4>1 and 4>2
              I run a Vance and Hines 4>1 on my 1000.
              I did jet it for the pipe.
              Meaning the carbs were correctly setup with different then the factory jets.
              Depending on the brand and type of pipe you decide to use, you may or may not need to adjust or change the jets in the carbs.

Depending on what type of performance you want.
              If you want more top end, then a 4>1 pipe.
              If you want more mid range then a 4>2, which most of our bikes
              came with from the factory.
              They were/are jetted a little on the lean side to meet emissions.
              Keith, do you know if the newer model systems for the Suzuki 4's are going to fit the older: for example, would the GSXR750 4 to 1 pipes/mufflers fit my 82 GS850?

Comment

Keith, do you know if the newer model systems for the Suzuki 4's are going to fit the older: for example, would the GSXR750 4 to 1 pipes/mufflers fit my 82 GS850?
                You'd need to meqasure center to center.
                Meaning center of exhaust port or center of exhaust system .
                The bore for the header, or exhaust manifold may be a different
                diameter. I can't say for sure either way.

Billy Ricks, I think adapted A gsxr exhaust, or was thinking/trying it on his GS700 hybrid.

My GS1000S with the V&H 4>1 and jetting runs very well, very clean thru
                the rev range. Takes some time and patience, but when it's done.......
                it's worth it.

Just curious, what type of performance are you looking to get? More tiop end? or mid range?
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                  You'd need to meqasure center to center.
                  Meaning center of exhaust port or center of exhaust system .
                  The bore for the header, or exhaust manifold may be a different
                  diameter. I can't say for sure either way.

Billy Ricks, I think adapted A gsxr exhaust, or was thinking/trying it on his GS700 hybrid.

My GS1000S with the V&H 4>1 and jetting runs very well, very clean thru
                  the rev range. Takes some time and patience, but when it's done.......
                  it's worth it.

Just curious, what type of performance are you looking to get? More tiop end? or mid range?
                  Would like more low and midrange, hopefully without sacrificing any top end. Also would like a better sound, more Gixxer like. Not asking too much, am I...
                  thanks!

Comment

Jackrp, What do you notice about performance as compared to original Suzuki 4 to 2 pipes, at low end, mid range and high end?
                    I never did have a problem with stock pipes, but when they rust out they were way too expensive to replace plus the weight loss with 4into1 sure is nice, now to your question, I think performance is a little better, although it might just be the added sound makes it feel faster, Both the V&H and Jardine and my Kerker(no longer available)and Bassoni (also no longer available,(I'm a GS junkie)) all Idle great(no blipping to keep them running)Low,Mid and High are fine with no flat spots.The Bassani was the only one I made jetting changes to as I opened up breathing by removing the airbox lid on my GS550MZ and dropped from 55MPG to 42MPG.The Bassani equipped bike is definately quicker.

Comment

42 MPG? I'd be very happy with that. My 850 gets about 35 at best.
                      As for the systems, I know that Jardine's are available for close to $300. Any thoughts of those systems?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrp
                        I never did have a problem with stock pipes, but when they rust out they were way too expensive to replace plus the weight loss with 4into1 sure is nice, now to your question, I think performance is a little better, although it might just be the added sound makes it feel faster, Both the V&H and Jardine and my Kerker(no longer available)and Bassoni (also no longer available,(I'm a GS junkie)) all Idle great(no blipping to keep them running)Low,Mid and High are fine with no flat spots.The Bassani was the only one I made jetting changes to as I opened up breathing by removing the airbox lid on my GS550MZ and dropped from 55MPG to 42MPG.The Bassani equipped bike is definately quicker.
                        42 MPG would be great to me. My 850 only gets about 35 at best.
                        I see that Jardine's are available, any thoughts of their system?

Comment

Man, it sure is a pain pulling those parts. I have often thought about going to pods for simplicity, but have gotten advice on this BB against it due to jetting issues. Hey, Cassius, let me know how your new set up works out. Am especially interested in performance at all speed ranges. Would like to pick up some more low end power without sacrificing the high end performance. (who wouldn't I guess).
                          Will do, sir! The carbs went back on last night with NO hassle. Took all of about 15 minutes to get them in and have all the boots secured and everything. Airbox even went in without a fuss. I was utterly amazed. Getting the throttle cable hooked up too a few, but got it in place. On a bad note, I did seem to lose the little nut that tightens and holds the choke cable in its bracket on top of the carbs...home depot and lowes do not have a matching nut. Right size (m6), but thread pitch is too coarse for what I have...

Note...also learned that the the jet my friend gave me did have have the DJ adjustable needles...it had the stock adjustable needles that came out of the 83 Katana 1100 engine that was in his GS1100E. So...he found the stock Mikuni 112.5's and is sending them, too, in case the mikuni needles are not compatible with the DJ jets....we'll see

Should have the header and pipe remounted tomorrow before heading to work, and plan to have it up and running and checking things out by mid morning thursday....
                          Last edited by Cassius086; 07-04-2006, 08:19 PM.
                          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

UPDATE: Got everything buttoned up and running today. In the short ride to work, it ran fantastic! Very smooth. No stuttering, sputtering, stumbling at all. Throttle response is as close to immediate as one can get! At about 4000rpm, she REALLY takes off! Exhaust does smell a tad rich at idle. Will see what 1/2 turn back in on the mixture screws does for that??? (chime in with suggestions, please!!!) Need to check the plugs, and pull/clean/re-oil the K&N stock style filter, and will go for a longer ride tomorrow. More updates to follow.

And guys, nothing sounds like the howl of a Holeshot Vortex pipe at 5500 RPMs. NOTHING. The mix of old school bike and new style can looks good. Will try to post a few pics this weekend.

\\/ I am a happy man\\/
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

I have a stock gs 1100 gl shaftdrive almost in mint condition. I just ordered some v and h 4 into 1 pipes for her. These guys give out good advice. mashonline.com. I ordered some for $279 with out tax its not a bad deal they should be here in ten days. I think all I will have too do is replace the stock air box with a k and N filter and my not have too rejet. This is my bike as it is now with my homemade stereo system.

Im open too any modifacations I can do too her. I plan to repaint her this winter or fall. Is there a hard bag setup for this bike still out there?
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X