gsxr carb confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Question

Rob.. I run 41 FCRs on my Bandit and 39s on my Kat... they interchange... Love the Keihins... no more Mikunis for me... you might want to check out the Boyensen Quick Shot Pump cover also... when you get your FCRs... great improvement.
    Steve

Comment

Ahh, now I get what your trying to do. For me to even think you were trying to put lowly gixxer carbs on a kat with a stock airbox.

I used to hate that word "dude", but now I say it once in awhile.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by katguy
        Rob.. I run 41 FCRs on my Bandit and 39s on my Kat... they interchange... Love the Keihins... no more Mikunis for me... you might want to check out the Boyensen Quick Shot Pump cover also... when you get your FCRs... great improvement.
        Steve
        Steve,
        what are you running for jetting on your 39's? mains, pilot, needle??

do you have any headwork? bigbore? cams?
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Settings

Rob... I'm running 140s on the mains, 3 groove on clip, 45 pilots, 2 turns out on the fuel mix screws. Displacement is 1398, heads port & polished, oversize ss valves, ti retainers, cam motion cam med/mild grind... I can look up the specs if you want. I tried a hi lift but marginally streetable. Heat is your biggest concern with any big bore kit... and running the top end oiler is very wise. The biggest help with heat I've found is the exhaust. Ceramic coating is the best way to go and manage the heat. Mine runs just at 200 degrees in traffic and below that while moving.. I'm very impressed the difference the coating makes. I haven't tried the wrap method, but that may be the next best thing to do... you need to like the look. I tried the GSXR/Bandit carb route and became extremely fustrated with the setup.. could never dial them in properly. Let me know if need help acquiring a set of Keihins... I may be able to help.

Comment

Thanks man, I do need some help finding some carbs thanks.

I am running web cams, 1260 @ 10.5-1 with a decent port/polish.

I was interested in your getting though cuz I had to go down to 117.5's with my 36 flatslides mikuni and an 1166 kit. According to the dyno she was way rich and dyno dude told me the better flowing the head the smaller the main.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Keihins

Rob... ping my email which is now:

steve.ampersand@gmail.com

we can discuss carb issue.

Steve

Comment

Katguy . . . What kind of hp is your Katana making?
                Sounds like a killer setup . . . any problems with hot start ups?
                Stright cut gears or stock? Are you running filters or just stacks?

Had never heard of the Boyensen Quick Shot Pump Cover
                Found a few on ebay for around $75 or so
                Seems like a must have item
                Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2006, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Well I got my Keihin carbs today and guess what???????? they DON'T! fit.

I checked the model number off the box and they fit 88-92 gsxr 1100's. The spacing between 2&3 is 6mm out. that is a mile in standard measurement. OH yey, and they are NOT!! adjustable as someone had mentioned.

Any body want an 1150.00 set if carbs, filter adapters and K&N filters?
                  Last edited by katman; 07-19-2006, 06:58 PM.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I just got a used set off Dragbike.com for an oil-cooled suzuki and they bolted right up to my GS1150. The jetting is even close enough to work on my GS for now. I also always thought the racks were adjustable.

I did have to rotate my #3 carb intake boot slightly counter-clockwise.

The carbs I purchased were from a 1216 piston kit so that should make it a 1127 motor which is 89-92. Puzzled as to what went wrong with your purchase. Sudco list 39mm FCR's for the GS1150's.

Comment

Sudco don't have any in stock for the gs's. I was told they are discontinued and not available. that is why I was inquiring about the gsxr spacing as I was told they are the same but that myth has been settled.

what did you do for a throttle? my new push/pull APE one won't work either.
                      Last edited by katman; 07-19-2006, 07:13 PM.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

For test and tune purposes my GS1150 single throttle is on it and works

I have a Hayabuse Push Pull throttle assembly coming in this week

I will rewire it to my 1150 adapter and should be fine
                        I did not want to use a seperate push pull with my ignition housing still there

Busa throttles can be had cheap it your a good stalker

Comment

Dont see how yours did'nt work. I've put oil-cooled GSXR CV carbs on GS's before. I've used oil cooled FCR's twice before in the past on GS's. Have you tried rotating your intake boots around slightly, that will take up some of the slack?

Comment

how does the throttle cables screw intot he carbs? there are not threads on my carb bracket to do so.

I haven't tried the boot manuver as they are matched to my ported head and intakes.

I took my measurements from the intakes and the 33 smoothbores I have. the center two carbs are 6mm narrower that the gs carbs. If I had been told I needed to futz witht the boots I woudn't have bought them. If the boots are off that can lead to air leaks as the inner flange of the boot needs to line up perfectly with the carb intake groove. I can't see that working that well with the amount of outnessssss.

Thanks for the help and info though dude.

I would still like to know how you connected the cable ends to the carbs??
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

The longest and widest part of your throttle cable (on the carb end) will rest on the TOP portion of the FCR throttle bracket(the WIDEST part of the tread will CATCH and sit on the mount) then hold it in place with the screw you loosened

THERE IS NO THREAD TO SCREW INTO. IT IS MORE LIKE A HOLDING BRACKET WITH ONE OF THE ORIGINAL THROTTLE SCREWS HOLDING IT IN PLACE FROM THE BOTTOM.

I would send a pic but I'm at work . . . .

ONE BRACKET IS FOR THE PUSH . . . THE OTHER SIDE IS FOR THE PULL . . . .

Unscrew the screw on the bottom portion of you throttle cable, then rest the threaded part on top of the FCR throttle mount - Then thread your screw against the bottom of the FCR mount. (Hope I have'nt confused you) You should have a screw on the end of your throttle cable that can be unscrewed all the way out.
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2006, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X