No announcement yet.

gsxr carb confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF you had your original boots instead of the ones pictured you could rotate them and they would work. The original boots have a curve to them that will help give you enough slack to pop the FCR in place. You just have a 'stright shot' into your intake. I still believe the FCR's are adjustable, and feel as tho you should contact www.sudco.com as to how (I've never done it before, but it seems like I have read it somewhere).

That is pretty much how my #3 looked before I rotated my boots around. I may have even rotated #2 around a tad as well to 'split the difference' between the two. Do you still have your original boots?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

yeh, I get ya. use the locking nuts to pinch the threaded end in the fcr bracket. That can't be the recomended way to do it even if it works. It looks to me that there is a plug of some sort that slides into that area that would hold the cables.

Oen other thing??? I crashed using just a pull cable on some smoothbores and these puppies generate much more vacume. I wouldn't ride till you get the right set up dude.

thanks man. I am going to send these back though.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Its been working for years . . . . . .
        The widest part of the cable threading will rest on the top portion of the FCR mount

Sorry your application was unsuccessful . . . . .

I'll take your advice on the push / pull and hold off till the Busa Throttle arrives - Thanks

Comment

If I do find a set that fits I think I will make up a couple brackets to and bottom to hold the cables secure. LIke this X2 and pinch it all between the existing bracket.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Just curious . . . you cant adjust your intakes at all?
            I mean are they still slightly curved
            Its not like I turned mine 180 degrees or anything, maybe the equivalent to 5 degrees . . . .
            My stock ones are slotted plus they have clamps to secure them

Comment

yes my boots will rotate but they are off quite a bit yes?? My concern is one of flow interuption and sealing. I spent a lot of money to get the air flow as smooth as possible into the head and I can't see how the flanges and grooves will line up properly given the distance difference.
              IF any air is getting by the intakes it will never run as good as it can. I run my bike HARRRRRD and need it to run perfect or I won't be happy happy.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I'll tell ya mate,

For the most expensive carbs on the market I am not impressed that you have to buy air filter adapters (over 100.00) and that throttle set up is non-sense for race carbs. Oh and I understand you need to get a new excelerator pump cover cuz the one on the carbs makes them bogggggggggggggg. another 75.00 please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be missin something...............
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I understand the carbs have left a bad taste in you mouth . . . .
                  But I would'nt trade my FCR's for anything . . . . .

Well maybe some stock 40 CV's if they would fit . . . .
                  Keep the carbs and sell me your BIKE ! ! ! !

BTW the accelerator pump is adjustable . . . but nobody like to adjust it
                  Boysen has found a nice market . . . .

I see we could go on and on . . . . . . .
                  Really hate they did'nt meet your expectations . . . .
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2006, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I'll just keep my 33 smoothbores till I can find a set of 39's for a GS. I still want a set.......I have calmed down a little now........
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Rob, that throttle cable bracket is remarkably similar to what they are like on the older VM carbs that were on the 70's GS bikes.

Comment

Throttle Cable Mount on FCR's

I have to agree with Mlaalm on the cable-mounting on the FCR carbs.

Looks like the same mounting scheme as on my wife's VF500F Interceptor.
                        Cable end is a long, hollow threaded fitting. There's a locknut on either 'end'...you loosen the nuts enough to slip between the bracket 'faces', then tighten the nuts. Easy to install and adjust, and plenty secure.

Man, those FCR's just look WICKED...I love the canted slides.

Anybody know if FCR 39's are too much for a lightly-ported GS1100 head? The port entry (at the intake mouth) is around 34mm dia. Displacement is 1166cc.

- Ted

Comment

TEd,

39's are recomended for 900's 750's and 1100's.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Katman, I'm not doubting your ability as a bike tuner/builder as you have more talent than I do, but I find it confusing that you could not get the RS Mikuni's to work right.

As you know, they are the most popular aftermarket carb on the market-especially for GS and GSXR bikes. I have seen them properly tuned on everything from GS750's to GS1150's to the 1052 and 1127cc GSXR1100. Also quite a few on the Bandit 1200.

Bikes with ported, flowed heads and aftermarket cams do not seem to be an issue. I'm just wondering if you had something amiss with the RS setup.

I have RS36's on my 1157cc Bandit, with GSXR cams and race exhaust. They are flawless and absolutely make the bike scream. They are at the factory settings (130 mains) pump on 1/4 and off at 3/4 throttle.
                            They are one of the best mods I have ever done to any bike I have owned.

Again, not questioning your ability - I'm just wondering if something not very obvious was causing your problems the the Mikuni's.

Either way, hate to see your bike not yet to your full satisfaction. She is a real beauty.

Good Luck, Ed.
                            2005 GSF1200SZ
                            1992 Ducati 900SS
                            1983 GS750ED
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM.

Comment

I did do some research about FCR carbs for GS1100.
                              I notice that the size of the filter adaptor for FCR by Sudco minimum size is 57mn or 60mm or 62mm but K&N filter do not have such universal filter ( dual or singal) for it which it is fit for GS carbs spacing 77mm-93mm-77mm.
                              SO the only choice is using velocity stack.

Comment

My second set of flatslides worked fine. the first set was replaced cuz Mikuni couldn't make them work either.
                                I sold them soley because I was getting keihins but after I sold the RS's buddy told me he couldn't get the Kiehin's.
                                I am running some old school 33 smoothbores as I said and it runs great with them too but I got a real deal on the Keihin's so I went for it. Everyone I talk to says they will never go back to Mikuni's after having Keihin's. My 33's run like a rocket bottom end and mid but don't make mph in the top end like the 39's will.

AS far as the filters go I have a set of dual K&N pods that fit these carbs. I like the fact that the keihin's have a LARGE air intake. I will find a set at some point and make the switch.
                                Last edited by katman; 04-18-2008, 03:35 AM.
                                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X