Big Jay input please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Jay input please

As most may know, My Katana is gonna need a rebuild.
    I am considering replacing all valves retainers etc with titanium, Input please, advantages, dis-advantages?
    Do I need to change guide material or seat material to match??
    This is a street motor, not a drag racer.
    I am hoping to increase torque band width and depth, intending to bore to 1260cc, currently 1166cc.
    Should I increase sizes or stay with stock??
    I see the titanium valves as being good for longevity, reducing strain in the valve train, and probably increasing responsiveness, am I correct??

Dink

BTW I would appreciate anyone's input.
    Big Jay and/or his company do this stuff professionally.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      BTW I would appreciate anyone's input.
      Big Jay and/or his company do this stuff professionally.

Dink

erm - well I dont think input from a Big Phark would in anyway help... save to bump the post lol....

glad plans are underway m8 - remember to lemme know if any parts show up in this corner of the country....:-D

Comment

Hot-ups

Dink,Dink,Dink what are you doing matey! Sorry sounds like i know what im talking about. Why titanium? My old boss at a bike shop up here spends a lot of time rebuilding yzf and crf heads as the titanuim valves drop there guts. Nothing wrong with stainless valves i reckon. Got ex ones in mine and standard inlets and hasnt failed me yet. Opps shouldnt have said that. Well thats my opinion and im sure you will hear more. talk soon on the ph bye.

Comment

Well if you got the cash.... but I favor 1mm plus stainless valves with stock parts. It's not like the stock retainers can't do their job. If you can find a 1150 head and do alittle cleanup in the ports that would be the best bang for the buck.

Or you could just rebuild your old head with a race valve job and the money save could go for alittle porting too.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

My two valve engine, welded crank, ported and polished head, I was told to go Stainless so that is what we did. They are one piece units so they will not separate from the increased revving the engine will produce now.

Dink, I sent you a PM, did you see it yet?

Comment

I thought I read where APE is moving. I have some parts I placed on order with them six weeks ago. You may be waiting a while if you go this route. You may want to check with Kevin at FBG.

Comment

OK I know what an FBH is :-D Who or what is an FBG??

Dink

Comment

OK I know what an FBH is :-D Who or what is an FBG??

Dink
                  http://www.fastbygast.com/

Comment

I had a friend that put the titanium valves in his busa 8.20 bike. It slowed right down. He took them back out and put the stainless back in. I think I would stay with stainless.

Comment

No other thoughts, opinions, information etc??

Dink

Comment

Dink,
                        I sent you a Pm about Orient Express
                        I found valves,pistons and rings from them in my 1000 2V motor
                        years ago.
                        Not sure what the yhave now, I do know they still build drag motors
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I use all stock valves. Have seen no reason to put anything different into them yet. My GS street bike still has the original valves at 70,000 miles or so. What more would I need?

Comment

My Kat has 90K on it, I am having to rebuild the motor anyway (f'n blind cager) so I am considering if it is a worthwnile upgrade "whilst I am in there" I expect that lighter valves and other valve gear would reduce stress in the valvetrain. I dont however know if guides and seats need to be a different material to suit. It appears I will need to use valve caps to protect the valve head surface, any idea as to how reliable these are?
                            It appears that there is little knowledge about this here, any suggestions as to where to look?

TIA
                            Dink

Comment

It appears that there is little knowledge about this here, any suggestions as to where to look? TIA
                              Dink
                              I thought I gave you the best advice I could. Talk to Kevin at FBG. (716) 773-1536 EST. IMO, they do some very good work and I am sure they would be happy to try and answer your questions.

I used to read these old chooper mags when I was a kid. Easy Rider and the like. There was this one that had a picture of a couple of young ladies hanging out. One had a tank top on that read:

"You can lead a horticulture but you can not make her think"

That must have been 30 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X