clutch baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch baskets

o.k. guys hash this over.I've received two different answers on this one.I won this basket on e-bay.The ring gear is welded.Is this cool or no?

Yes,
    Its very cool.

Comment

It is cool; until you need to replace the springs again.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by mbelan
        o.k. guys hash this over.I've received two different answers on this one.I won this basket on e-bay.The ring gear is welded.Is this cool or no?
        Naaaa...It's no good so you need to sell it to me!!!!!! (-:

Those baskets are very necessary if you ride hard because the stock backing plate is thin and the springs will come out and hurt a lot of parts.

Comment

Are you talking like the one in the lower right?

Comment

I've never seen a disassembled clutch basket (and maybe this is my problem) but doesn't the ring gear need to move independent of the backing plate in order for the spring arrangement to take any of the shock when a load is placed on the basket? I've always thought only the rivets were welded.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, you are correct. The backing plate is locked to the basket. The gear floats between the two. The spring cushion the blow. They never, or I have never seen anyone weld the backing plate to the gear. What you see in the lower right setup is three tangs (almost a half circle) that is welded to the gear. These float over the top of the plate. In this setup a stock backing plate was used. Heavy springs and riviets add to the strength.

The other two baskets have a backing plate that is about 2X thicker and there was no need for the tangs. The lower right basket was made up shortly after the GS1100ESD was introduced in 83. Mine was done by Cycle Craft, now MRE.

The other two are a much later design. They are stronger and what you will find on most bikes today. The baskets were also an issue. I have one that has a hair line fracture about half way around the basket. The billet parts were much stronger. You can still have these built. I have an order in with Falicon right now for a new streight cut gear to put one together but they are on back order.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ah ha, I understand now. When I looked at the original poster's clutch basket, I assumed that the welds also attached to the backing plate.

Thanks for explaination Lecroy.

Comment

Thats exactly what I thought. Lecroy, you've cleared it up.Tangs alot...m

Comment

Working...
                  X