how much gear is too much gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much gear is too much gear?

I am in need of a new chain and sprockets coming up soon, and am going to do the 530 conversion. I love accelleration, top speed driving really doesnt do anything for me. Most of the driving I do is city type driving, with occasional 100-200 mile rides out in the country.

It's a 79 GS750E. The sprocket ratio I have now is 2.73:1. It looks like with a 13/50 combo I can go as high as 3.83:1. Would this be excessive? I have been a car guy all my life, and can judge the effects of such a drastic change in gearing on one of those. But this 9500 rpm redline, and a powerband not starting until 4500rpm, this is new stuff to me. I can look at the numbers all day long and still not know how it will feel driving it.

How about fuel economy? It looks like a 6000 rpm cruise speed will now be ~8400 rpm. Can these engines take it?

Will all this torque multiplication be usable through my 120/90 rear tire?

Is a 13 tooth sprocket going to wear out my chain real quick?

Would a compromise of say, 16/50 make more sense for this bike?

Sorry for all the questions, but only being able to search for 4+ characters in a word makes research on this subject kind of difficult 8-[

too high a ratio.

You'll grow to hate it
    The engine will be revving way too high for along period of time.
    Vibration will be excessive.
    Gas mileage will be terrible.'Wear on the front sprocket will be excessive.

But you'll out accelerate anything on the road to 60mph!!

You're too high on the ratio.

There is a chart on here,somewhere, showing ratios.
    Me, I wouldn't go tha tradical with my gearing.
    The 530 conversion is a fairly easy, just be careful with the gearing.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Go to www.oldskoolsuzuki.info click on the seven/eleven menu on the left and look for FastCat's Technical Suzuki Library and in there is a gearing/sprocket calculation spreadsheet

Comment

I ended up going with a 16/50 combo, it is a 3.12:1 ratio. If it's too much for me, the front sprockets are only $13 from z1 enterprises.

I got those, a sprocket spacer, an x-ring chain, a couple spare oil filters, spark plugs, and a tank sealer kit, and it was still under $200 shipped. That's about what I priced a 630 o-ring chain and sprockets at, without all the extra goodies

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

I think you would be happy with a 2.90 - 3.00 to one ratio..3.8 is geared way too low.
          EULC ON

Comment

HIJACK!!!

What is the recomended ratio for a 80' 550e for better than stock accel, this is just a around town bike, not much of a traveler. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill
              I think you would be happy with a 2.90 - 3.00 to one ratio..3.8 is geared way too low.
              Cool, I'm pretty close to that with the sprocket combo I ordered. Thanks

Comment

tcraft...If you lower your gear ratio(higher number to 1) you will have better acceleration up to the point that the motor has no gear to pull on. You will sacrifice top end and decent rpms at highway speeds. Find a balance that suits your riding style and needs. You can have different gear sets and switch out. If you need to add/subtract chain just make a short piece and add a master link. Folks well tell you 2 masters are no good. I had 2 masters on my dragbike that went 170mph with no problems. Also have them on dirt bikes for gear changes with no problems.

The gearing that is good for me may not be for you. Its a personal thing with many variables to consider.
                EULC ON

Comment

Working...
                X