Limits of GS1000 rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limits of GS1000 rods

The GS1000 rods are very fragile compared to the GS1100 rods. The "small end" will not handle much over 150HP....Was digging through a bunch of old race parts tonight, and found this piston that was a victim of the "small end" coming apart....

In this pic, you can see where the "stump" (after the rod end was gone) hit the bottom of the piston and did not bust it. Oh, the carnage....BadBillyB

May be able to use it again...

Comment

had a turbo 1000 made 220 hp ran 5.29 @ 129 raced it 5 years no problem

Comment

That wrist pin looks like some of the ones I have damaged. How thick were these?

Comment

Man thats ugly.

did you see the July issue Motorcyclist with the article on the 1980 GS1000 Wes Cooley Superbike?

Comment

Whats the most horsepower you can pull out of a "streetable" 1000 and how do you do it with natural aspiration.
            I got a buddy with a 125 inch road king with he says 140 hp. I havent raced him yet but Id like to whip his azz one of these days.
            How long would those rods hold about 50 horse of NOS?

Comment

Originally posted by Deesel
              Whats the most horsepower you can pull out of a "streetable" 1000 and how do you do it with natural aspiration.
              I got a buddy with a 125 inch road king with he says 140 hp. I havent raced him yet but Id like to whip his azz one of these days.
              You'd be competitive right now. Whip his ass with a stocker.

Comment

Kool, that what I wanted to hear. I was pretty sure I could get him in a short drag but them vtwins seem to really pull through the wind drag from like 90 to 110. I have only raced some of those 88"s with my 850, though.
                I hope that my 1000 motor will be a whole different ball game when I get that going.
                I will say that big stupid looking roadking doing a wheely is kinda impressive- but dont tell him I said that!
                I love the look of some of those wanna be badasses faces after they get smoked with a little 850. All of a sudden your their old buddy when they are trying to hide their embarrassment.
                FUN!!

Comment

Kool, that what I wanted to hear. I was pretty sure I could get him in a short drag but them vtwins seem to really pull through the wind drag from like 90 to 110. I have only raced some of those 88"s with my 850, though.
                  I hope that my 1000 motor will be a whole different ball game when I get that going.
                  I will say that big stupid looking roadking doing a wheely is kinda impressive- but dont tell him I said that!
                  I love the look of some of those wanna be badasses faces after they get smoked with a little 850. All of a sudden your their old buddy when they are trying to hide their embarrassment.
                  FUN!!

Are you kidding me?

Do you really think a 650+ lb pushrod v-twin is gonna keep up with an inline 4?

Comment

you just need a little jb weld is all......

-ryan
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryT
                      had a turbo 1000 made 220 hp ran 5.29 @ 129 raced it 5 years no problem
                      You must be living right....My bike was also running 5.20's at about the same MPH for just about 5 or 6 years before the rod let go. It probably had around 500 passes on it. After seeing how much beefier the 1100 rods were, I opted to go with them. They are slightly longer, which is desireable for a N/A motor, and required a custom copper base gasket to get the deck height right. I had 2 1100 cranks (longer stroke) break in my motor almost back to back and decided the best set up for a N/A GS1000 motor, would be a 1000 crank with the 1100 rods and the 1100 big left end.........I took the small end from the broken 1000 rod, drilled a hole through it and made a key fob out of it. Daily reminder to focus on not breaking parts......BadBillyB

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
                        That wrist pin looks like some of the ones I have damaged. How thick were these?
                        Thin wall Wiseco pins that came with the piston kit....I had at the time some beefy MTC pins, but they were quite heavy....Too heavy for a high revving (12K) N/A motor.......BadBillyB

Comment

Probably around 140HP, anything more than that and you will have problems with overheating. You could go higher than that with a turbo motor. As far as nitrous goes, I would say it depends on how well that 50 shot is set up, especially the fuel side.........BadBillyB

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB
                            Probably around 140HP, anything more than that and you will have problems with overheating. You could go higher than that with a turbo motor. As far as nitrous goes, I would say it depends on how well that 50 shot is set up, especially the fuel side.........BadBillyB
                            I figured heat would the limiting factor on the street. Probly have to keep the compression pretty low and focus on getting the engine to breathe?
                            Would cams be worth while on the street or just consentrate on a good flowing cyl. head with quality porting and valve job.

I have an extra fogger system just waiting to "enhance" one of my motors around here. I bought it for my jet ski but that thing doesnt need cant hook up the power it has n/a, I have a snowmobile on the laugh gas aready. That leaves either the lawn tractor or the GS.:-D

Comment

I figured heat would the limiting factor on the street. Probly have to keep the compression pretty low and focus on getting the engine to breathe?
                              Would cams be worth while on the street or just consentrate on a good flowing cyl. head with quality porting and valve job.

I have an extra fogger system just waiting to "enhance" one of my motors around here. I bought it for my jet ski but that thing doesnt need cant hook up the power it has n/a, I have a snowmobile on the laugh gas aready. That leaves either the lawn tractor or the GS.:-D
                              For performance, the stock cams are pretty tame. Around .400" lift cams would be perfect for the street. The 1085 or 1100 Wiseco street pistons would be great. The cylinder head porting, if properly done will yield the most benefits. I switched to a G model head after I started running Super Comp........ BadBillyB

Comment

Working...
                              X