Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acetone increases fuel mileage??

Hey all, anybody ever hear this one??

Get started in your journey towards better environmental awareness. Be part of our efforts to come together in preserving the environment.

I'm considering trying it.

also found the magnetic fuel line doodad that supposedly does a similar thing by reducing the surface tension and allowing better aerosolization in the carbs? I wonder how strong those magnets are...

This website is for sale! improvegasmileage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, improvegasmileage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

what I was really looking for was the gag fuel economy increaser posted up here a while back, it was universal, required no tools, and only fifty bucks or so...

it was a 2x4 you stick under your gas pedal!!

Acetone is one of the many components that make-up your gasoline. Acetone can be added to increase(to a limited extent) the octane value of the fuel, as can toluene and a couple of other volatile solvents that may be a little harder to find. It won't increase your mileage unless low octane value was limiting your engine's performance already. It can help with older fuel that these solvents may have evaporated from, and it can sometimes help with detonation due to over-advanced timing or higher compression due to carbon build-up in the combustion chamber.

Comment

this guy actually had some random sounding crap like "the molecules in most fuels are slow and sluggish, acetone has a resonance that "stirs up" the fuel molecules"

I took it to mean that it loosened them, or raised the vaporization effect...

Comment

Yeah, that kind of marketing kinda' stirs me up! : (

Comment

I heard about this one while listening to some car radio talk show this weekend. I could not locate the patent for it to see what they listed in their claims.

Drive 30-60 extra miles or your money back. Order online now!

" The TornadoFuelSaver is an air-TWISTER, patented worldwide, with 10 years of research & development behind it."

"It is an automotive air channeling tool that creates a swirling air motion, allowing the air to move faster and more efficiently by continuously whirling air around corners and bends."

"TornadoFuelSaver increases gas mileage anywhere from 7-15%.*"

"Dyno testing shows 4-13 added horsepower as well!"

Comment

If it's good for the intake then slap one of those puppies in the exhaust. I'd like to see a flaming twister out the pipe
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

A good site with a lot of links..

I noticed this...

What is strange is that they really do make some actual working products. I ran their oils for years in my bike.

Comment

Acetone is not a component of gasoline. Pure gasoline is really just BTEX (butanol, toulene, xylene, and ethylene, though most of todays pump forumula's have methyl-ethelene too). Acetone can increase your octane rating though, which will allow for higher compression and more timing advance- which will cut fuel consumption (only by a small percent though). It is also very corrosive on rubber and wil eat through your fuel lines and carb gaskets. The tornado thing does work, only by increasing air turbulence and better atomizing the fuel though (something a good well cleaned carburator is designed for). The magnet thing is a bunch of crap though, nothing in gasoline is affected enough by a magnetic field to change the random spacing and positioning of the molucules, its like trying to stack a million frozen peas by order of size (aint gonna happen).

The basics to increase fuel efficentcy: cold fuel, clean well tuned engine, free flowing exhaust, intake turbulence, advanced timing, raised compression, synthetic oils, and most importantly a light throttle wrist.

Comment

so would putting a little spinny thing in the manifold maybe help that turbulence?? like a windmill that kids use (of course modified to not get sucked into the engine...8-[ )

I guess that's the torinado...

Comment

I had seen something like this for the Harley guys that would mount to an S&S. Like a little spin wheel velocity stack. There was also one for the old Keihins that would mount between the carb and intake. It looked like a thin spacer plate with teeth in the inside that were curved. Do some searching and I am sure you can find them on the net.

I already have one of those swirling things in my bike. It sure isn't helping my fuel bill.

Comment

I heard about this at Mid Ohio. I stopped in at a seminar that Craig Vetter had on the mileage contests he used to hold back in the 80's. One of the items brought up was using a small amount of actone in the gas to increase mileage. It was only about 2-4 ounces per tank of gas, but it increased the mileage by a few percent. One guy was talking with Vetter afterwards and confirmed that he does this and it works. At the levels he was talking about I wouldn't expect it to attack the rubber components it contacts.
                      JP
                      1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                      1992 Concours
                      2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                      2007 FJR

Comment

I work in the printing industry and we use acetone to clean ink off of chrome and glass beaded cylinders.It is very cold to the touch and will take the oils out of your skin like alchohol and dries very rapidly,not to mention its very combustible.It will melt plastic and ruin your paint or anything else it happens to touch in a heartbeat.If it was my bike I would not add this to the gasoline or any engine for that matter unless I have the money to rebuild it sometime down the road.

Comment

I have a friend that tried acetone in his GS750 recently as he read the same article. I said it was hoo-haw but he tried it anyway. His bike has had problems with the valves getting tight since then and I suspect it may have something to do with the acetone. If you clean your cylinder walls off with it, they will start rusting immediately....I would not recommend putting it in your gas, there may me a price to pay.......BadBillyB

Comment

thank god for this forum, I might have really blown the ol girl up!!!\\/

I'll stick to the techron additive and try to clean my dam carbs soon.

Comment

From the first URL: "Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension."

This is a load of cr*p!

Acetone will likely hurt the rubber components that it comes in contact with, but it will do it slowly.

Better atomization of fuel droplets would be nice, but unless raw gasoline is coming out of the exhaust, it is all being burned anyway. Any positive effects would be slight except in an engine that is very poorly carbureted.

Kitchen chemists usually end up in the hospital or the morgue. Or else with their pieces too widely scattered to even find.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                              X