acetone increases fuel mileage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadBillyB
    I have a friend that tried acetone in his GS750 recently as he read the same article. I said it was hoo-haw but he tried it anyway. His bike has had problems with the valves getting tight since then and I suspect it may have something to do with the acetone. If you clean your cylinder walls off with it, they will start rusting immediately....I would not recommend putting it in your gas, there may me a price to pay.......BadBillyB
    You are exactly right badbillyb,it will dry the oil out of and off of any metal and as soon as air hits it it will rust.It will also dry rubber out so quickly that it will shrink and crack.This is a very harmful product and should only be handled by those with knowldege about it.It can cause blindness and respiratory problems.It has also been known to cause birth defects in laboratory animals.If you buy it in missouri you have to sign for it and can only be bought in small quantity.

Comment

I'm not sure where in MO you buy yours, but here in Jefferson County you don't have to sign, just walk into Home Depot and pick it up- though if you are going to use it may I suggest Xylene instead, for its "cleaning" abilities, or Toluene for its super high octane rating (its what they use to turn "regular" to "premium" (forget saving money by trying to do that though, its still cheaper to buy premium).

Again, I don't recomend adding anything to gas for milage (especailly without knowing exactly how it works (ie an engineering or chemical background)), but to each his own.

Comment

Acetone does work. I've used it in my car with very good results. It's not being used as an octane boost in the miniscule amounts you use though.
        I've had best results with about 1 1/2oz per 10gal. Here's discussion about it from another board I frequent that includes some testing with injector o-rings: http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/in...848&hl=acetone
        There is a lot to wade through, but some good information.
        In high concentrations, it will harm rubber parts.

Comment

I think I'll just stick to using gasoline, straight up please. I don't like ketchup on my burgers either.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            I think I'll just stick to using gasoline, straight up please. I don't like ketchup on my burgers either.
            Im with jethro on this also!Mid grade and keep your bike tuned up good and that should be all ya need to enjoy these older machines.

Comment

Myths

Saw an installment of "Mythbusters" the other night...."Gas mileage improvement products".....Shot down the magnet on the fuel line, Acetone in gas, The 300MPG carbuerator, etal......
              I especially like the "Ice" bullet from several issues back.......I love to see all the cherished myths ripped apart by the steely gaze of science.
              _____________________________________________Rick. .......

Comment

Originally posted by ap72
                ...The tornado thing does work, only by increasing air turbulence and better atomizing the fuel though (something a good well cleaned carburator is designed for).
                From the Washington Post .....

"Buyers really need to beware of these claims," says Chris Grundler, chief executive of the Environmental Protection Agency's National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich. "We have tested over 100 of these over the last 20 or so years and have found that very few of them provide any fuel economy benefits. Those that did were marginal."

The hot fuel-saving technology this year is called the "Tornado." For $69, this air-swirling gadget installs in a car's intake and, supposedly, creates a "vortex" of air that results in more efficient combustion. Its ads say tests show the Tornado increases mileage from 11 percent to almost 29 percent.

Sound too good to be true? "Nobody can believe this!" says Jay Kim, president of Tornado Air Management, in Santa Fe Springs, Calif., the manufacturer.

Kim says sales are up like never before: "A lot of consumers just love it. Tens of thousands of them."

But the government doesn't love it. The EPA has tested similar air-moving gadgets and none worked. The agency evaluated the Tornado's data and found no reason to think it can improve fuel economy, says spokesman John Millett.

Automotive expert Pat Goss, who hosts "Goss's Garage" on WJFK-FM and NewsChannel 8 and is a regular on PBS's "Motorweek," has tested more than a thousand fuel-saving devices over 25 years at his auto repair business in Seabrook, including earlier and current versions of the Tornado. The best it tested was a 0.6 mpg increase; the worst, a decrease in fuel economy.

"We get these things all the time," says Goss. "Not one of them that we ever tested did anything significant."

Kim dismisses the EPA's remarks as a "big government thing. Nothing you can do." Goss's findings? "Hmm, really?" he says.

Another device called the FuelSaver-Pro promises to save up to 27 percent in fuel economy by realigning gas molecules using magnets boxed around the fuel line. Mark Ayoub, who markets the product on FuelSaver-Pro.com, says, "Sales have increased since gas prices have recently shot up."

But the EPA in November alerted the Federal Trade Commission that the maker of the $89.95 FuelSaver-Pro was making unsubstantiated claims by mixing results from different tests to boost its mileage claims.

The manufacturer, IRD International Research & Development in San Diego, did not reply to requests for interviews, but the FuelSaver-Pro Web site just changed its promotion.

Roger Crawford, a businessman and independent researcher in Midland, Tex., takes a different approach to fuel economy. He has just begun marketing a gas additive he calls "XtraMPG." He says it boosts octane, burns cleaner and enables motorists to get better fuel economy and buy less expensive grades of gas -- saving 10 to 15 percent overall on gas.

What's in XtraMPG? "Most of us know it as nail polish remover," Crawford says. "It is simple acetone, a nonhazardous organic chemical . . . rated at 150 octane."

Crawford says he'd be happy if everyone bought acetone and added it to their gas tanks. But since people seem reluctant, he's packaging it as XtraMPG.

The EPA hasn't tested XtraMPG. But the EPA's Chandler warns that consumers need to beware what gadgets and fuel additives they add to their cars -- especially with today's computer-controlled fuel-injection systems. "There are other, more practical ways to save fuel," he says.

The Word Gets Out

Comment

I could care less on the gas mileage of my bike. i just enjoy riding it and im hard on the throttle. ill pay the extra few bucks each time just to get the excitement and acceleration i do from it. as for adding stuff to gas. i would not use acetone at all. the only thing i add which doesnt help fuel mileage is once and a while i put in some lead substitute just to lubricate the cylinder walls a bit.

Comment

BTW...Acetone removes fingernail polish Smells horrible..I wouldnt try it in MY bike

Comment

If you want to try a gas additive to help with keeping your carbs clean, add a couple of ounces of fuel injector cleaner to a tank of gas. It wont hurt any of the seals in the carbs and will help clean out any buildup in the carbs.

Earl

Originally posted by snowbeard
                      thank god for this forum, I might have really blown the ol girl up!!!\\/

I'll stick to the techron additive and try to clean my dam carbs soon.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

1/2 a cup of diesel every 3 or 4 tanks works very well.

Dink

Comment

At 2-3 oz. acetone per 10 gallons of fuel (approx. 0.16% - 0.23% solution) , your o-rings and any rubber parts aren't going to be harmed. There's countless reports out there where guys take o-rings and various other rubber parts and soak them in a 100% solution of acetone, a 50/50 mix of acetone/gas and a 25/75 mix of acetone/gas, and after about 3 months the parts soaked in the 100% acetone solution are just starting to degrade, while nothing is heppening to them in the 50/50 and 25/75 solutions.

Now let me point out....... the concentration that YOU WILL see MPG improvement is at a 0.16/99.84 solution! You really have no worries as far as rubber parts are concerned.

As far as the myth busters BS...... I can tell you, and many others can tell you... at this concentration YOU WILL see MPG improvement. They probably used a much higher concentration, which actually WILL make the MPG suffer (about 5 oz. or higher per 10gal of gas)

I've been running acetone at this concentration in my Seca for the past 2,000 miles, and the thing runs smoother and better than it ever has. When I first got it, I was getting 43-45MPG from it. No mods, no further work, nothing...... just adding acetone to my gas now gets me 50-52 MPG out of it (slightly over a 10% increase in MPG).

Just a couple of weeks ago I started using it in my car as well, with the same results.

Comment

I urinate in my fuel tank for better mileage. (I read this performance tip on a bathroom wall) It also prevents people from tailgating you on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                              I urinate in my fuel tank for better mileage. (I read this performance tip on a bathroom wall) It also prevents people from tailgating you on the highway.
                              I will stick to sea foam,it's better the pee foam!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X