750ES performance "tweaks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750ES performance "tweaks"

Just got a set of GS700 pistons/rods off of eBay. They're in good shape, with a bit of cleaning to do, and one's got some scuffs from sitting on a shelf, but very useable overall.

I've heard that a bit of power can be had from using the 700 pistons (taller pistons, higher compression) and 1100 cams (greater lift, duration) in a 750ES motor.

I need to know specifically which years 1100 (or 1150?) cams work best, and also if the 700 cams will yield more power (not just more, but useable). From an article I read, Suzuki changed the cam profile and timing for the 700E to match the power output from the 750 to deal with the smaller displacement.

Is it enough to make a noticeable difference?

Basically, I'm not looking for anything too dramatic - just to wake up an otherwise solid motor. Just thinking about having the jugs measured and overbored (only if necessary), re-ringed, valves checked and cleaned, seats cleaned up, intake ports smoothed out (factory cast marks and intake boot mating are hideous - it's a wonder this thing made any power at all!), new valve springs, and other misc. minor things.

The motor's out right now for gear replacement (dogs on second worn out), and I'll be running a spare, so there's no rush to get the job done. I've got newer gears (less than 8K on the gears), and a NOS clutch basket that I'll have the rivets welded on (and balanced).

I've also got a set of 34mm flatslides and K&N pods, with a Kerker, Yosh, and 'Trapp pipe that I'll find the best combo from. I'm going with an Ohlins shock, new fork springs (don't know which brand yet), SS lines (anti-dive block off), HH pads, fork brace, and acquired some NOS LP 37mm preload adjusters for the forks.

Basically, it's going to remain mostly stock (aesthetically and functionally), with exception to the clip-ons, reshaped seat, pipe, and fairing lowers. I'd like to make an era-correct hot rod, but don't want to spend the rest of my life sourcing parts.

I'm upgrading the stock suspension and stock brakes as much as possible, with the exception being an aftermarket rear shock (hardly visible, though). I'll likely upgrade the ignition and electrics in the process.

My ideal is to get closer to 100 hp from the motor, up from the factory claimed 86. I'd be happy with a true 90 rwhp, but would like more (but don't want to sacrifice rideability).

These are my goals - not too lofty, methinks. I'm not looking to "smoke some 600's", as this bike's day was more than 20 years ago. I've got more than one bike, so this doesn't have to be the end-all for me.

Just looking for some advice on which cams to use, and other places to look for power "tweaks" without sacrificing too much or drastically modifying power delivery.

Thanks,

-Q!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2006, 02:43 PM.

Paging Mr. Ricks....

Mr. Billy Ricks to the white courtesy phone please!

Comment

I think the 700 cams were some of the most aggressive of the GSX line. from what I've heard, the most power can be had with a 700 head, 750 lower end, and the flat sides you have. when they went in '85 from the 750 to 700, power barely dropped, thanks to the newer head. put that on your 750 and you'll get the best of both worlds.

Comment

The 700 cams were reputed to be about the hottest Suzuki had used to that date. They will in fact even fit the 1100/1150 4 valve models. Make sure you use your stock rods on your 750 crank. The 700 rods are longer and the 700 crank has a shorter throw. If you use the 700 rods you'll hit the pistons on the combustion chambers. The 700 and 750 heads are identical, only the cams changed. That set of RS flatslides will really finish off those mods.

Comment

Hey Billy, do you think it would be worth dropping those 700 cams into an 1100 motor?

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
            Hey Billy, do you think it would be worth dropping those 700 cams into an 1100 motor?
            They should give you a bit of extra bark. You can use the same cams between 750 and 1100/1150 four valvers. The really high lift cams shouldn't be used in the 700/750 models though. The 700 cams are hard to come by though. Many of them are still running and those that aren't are in high demand for the cams and pistons.

Comment

The 700cc cams are slightly hotter but are not in the same league as real aftermarket cams. If you are gonna swap cams go with the real thing, something in the neighborhood of .330-.345 lift.

CamMotion G2 or G3 grind will make a real impression and work with the stock guides. Any GS1100 performance cam will work and anything under .355 lift will clear the stock guides. Aftermarket springs will be needed though. And if you go with the regrinds, aftermarket adjuster rocker screws are necessary as the base circle is reduced in regrinding and the stock adjuster screws will be too short.

I have run both G2 (.330 lift) and G15 (.350 lift) in my '83 with excellent results (110 degree lobe centers). At one point I was 802cc 11-1 with the G15's and 34 flatslides, she would power loft the front end at 7500rpm in 3rd gear.

The 700cc pistons will yield about a .5 point bump in compression ( I have run them for years with 750 crank and rods) and will work well with performance cams. By themselves -no aftermarket cams- they are not gonna do much. Compression increases work really well with aftermarket cams.

I messed with my '83 from 1984 to about 1996, experimenting with several different motor combos. About 10.5-1 is max I would go on this TSCC head unless you do not mind running race gas.

First photo is of the '83 in its day -circa 1990- and second photo as she sits today in the garage on the far right. Motor is pulled and Katana front end is installed. Not much else has been done as she now has company.

Sounds like you have all the pieces in order. If my '83 gets built again (this will be the 3rd major build) its gonna be at 816cc, 10.25-1 with the G2's and RS34's. That would make an excellent streetable combo.

Good Luck, Ed.
              2005 GSF1200SZ
              1983 GS750ED
              1992 Ducati 900SS
              Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the info - will definitely keep you posted.

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                X