Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics of My '82 Katana 1000 (Stock with Some Mods)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics of My '82 Katana 1000 (Stock with Some Mods)

Here are some better pictures of my '82 Katana 1000. It has less than 6,000 miles on it. I bought the bike about 9 months ago for $2,500.00. It even had brand new tires on it when I got it. Since then I have installed a set of Mikuni RS36 Flat Slide carbs, that I got for $400.00, K&N pod filters and a new Jardine 4 into 1 exhaust. I still have all of the original parts, carbs, exhaust, etc. Someone asked about a shot of the rear of the exhaust can and I have included one here. The underside of the exhaust still has some water drops on it from washing the bike.

The bike runs like a champ. I just need to get the carbs synched and may be a tune-up. I'm going to turn it into my vision of what the bike should look like while being able to turn it right back to stock. I'm planning on shorty turn signals and replacing the rear fender skirt so that it is not visible. I bought an '82 GS1100E taillight section for this but it appears to mount up differently than the Katana's.

Mechanically I want to install an oil cooler as it doesn't have one regardless of what the decal on the lower fairing says. Then I want to install a top end oiler. Cosmetically I want to find a Katana tail section and have it customized so that it matches the stock colors and yet the reflector is removed and that area made flush with the rest of the tail section. I want to do the same to the reflector area on the fairing.

Next I want to color match a leather seat cover for it; hopefully with the ripples in the rear and a grab strap. I think these mods will make the bike a lot more sleek looking and won't screw up the original aesthetics of the bike beyond what I would have normally done back when I only dreamed of owning this bike. ~Gene

Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM.

i had a V&H on my old GS 1100gk, it worked well but i think they are too short !!! my yoshi mura system is better on my 1100E. i wouldnt change mine for any thing else. except an undertail !!! i have a buddy how says he can fab on up. 4 to 2 to 1 that would give the bike alot omre ground clearence, i hat most all the 4 to 1 because of the amount of hangdown when you stack the pipes on top of each other !!!

Comment

Exceptional bike! Extremely clean, and I like your mod ideas. Those Katanas ooze style. \\/

Comment

As I understand it, you can simply un-bolt the reflectors & the bases come away with them, fill the holes and re-paint.
        Got a soft spot for the big Kats myself:-D

Dink

Comment

Hey Gene,
          Where in SoCal are you? I live in Irvine, and my buddy lives over in Anaheim. We each have a Katana. Mine is an '82 also. But years ago I changed the paint to bright orange. Didn't help though. Some punk pulled out in front of me about a week after I got it all put back together. I actually haven't ridden the thing in about five years. It just sits in storage for now.
          My buddy's is an '83 with an 1100E motor.
          One thing I did to with the turn signals was to put flush mounts up front, then I moved the stock front signals to the replace the rear ones. Much shorter and they tuck in nicely. Also lopped off the rear fender and tucked the plate up. Made a huge difference in the look of the tail. Now I realize some folks may cringe, but this was over 20 years ago, and at the time, my Katana was my primary canyon fighter, not to mention my daily get me to work ride.
          Greg B.
          The Three Horsemen
          '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
          '83 GS1100ES
          ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
          Porkchop Express

Comment

Katana Owners Ho!

Greg,

I'm in Calimesa, which is by Redlands and about 50 minutes from Anaheim, or Irvine taking the 241. The Katana is down right now while I either A) replace the left crankshaft end, which was badly gouged by a loose starter clutch or B) stuff an 1100E motor in there instead, which is what I'm leaning toward right now. It sucks as I only got to ride the bike twice before the problem surfaced that had been shoddily repaired by a copper shim. The shim was munched into tiny little bits and the bike wouldn't start, then I found the problem.

It's going to run about $1,200.00 parts and labor to fix. At the end of the year works drops off for me and that is gonna hurt right now, especially with expenses on my GS1100E to get it where I want it. I'd like to get another 1100E engine and put it in the Katana and have the bike perform even better and save the original engine to repair at my leisure. Both bikes are going to be long term projects. My thinking is I'll have one to ride while I work on the other. The Katana is first. The GS1100E just needs a Corbin Gunfighter seat and the Vance & Hines exhaust replaced for now. Then once the Katana is done I'm going to completely tear down the GS1100E and build it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Exceptional bike! Extremely clean, and I like your mod ideas. Those Katanas ooze style. \\/
              Dude, you may want to re-think the gixxer 1000 frontend. First hard right in to a corner you will loose it as your header bottoms and your wheels come off the road.
              that is a very short frontend.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Ummm...what?

Who has the GSXR1000 front end?

Comment

Most guys go with the 1st generation USD forks ('89-'95) as they are the longest ones available. I believe the '95 1100 forks are the longest of all. 15 year old forks are harder to find than the newer ones but they fit the old GS chassis better.

Comment

Hey Greg B, my name is Ray & I live over by Disneyland in Garden Grove. Can you give me a call at 714-356-7845 or message me back with a number I can call you at? Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Gene,
                      I'm kinda familiar with that area. Used to date a girl in Rancho years ago. Also used to get parts for my old Volvo from a junkyard up in Redlands.
                      When you say the left end of your crank is gouged up, do you mean the actual end of the shaft where the flywheel mounts? Could you maybe stone the gouges down? Or is far more serious than that? Are we talking new crank?
                      Ray,
                      Give me a ring on my cell (714)309-2968
                      Greg B.
                      The Three Horsemen
                      '83 GS1100ES
                      ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Crankshaft Woes

Greg,

Take a look at the pics I posted previously at the link below. ~Gene

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Gene,
                          Oh Crap!! Oh yeah, I now see what you mean. Can you still get the left end of the crank, I wonder? If not, an option might be to have the end of the crank machined and knurled undersize, then plated or metalized back up and then remachined. Of course that could get really pricey, quite possibly more than say a new Falicon crank. Just a thought.
                          Oh by the way, my buddy had his seat recovered by an upholstery shop down here somewhere, they did a really great job I think. Not leather, but they even duplicated the ridges at the rear. If you're interested, I'll get the info from him.

Greg B.
                          Last edited by Greg B; 10-28-2006, 03:43 PM.
                          The Three Horsemen
                          '83 GS1100ES
                          ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Just checked Alphasports website, appears that part is still available. About $140.00. But tearing the motor aparst to get to the crank is going to be spendy, as I'm sure you know already.
                            Greg B.
                            The Three Horsemen
                            '83 GS1100ES
                            ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Yes, unfortunately so

Greg,

I did discover the dire news of how much it will cost to repair the damage, which is about $1,200.00, perhaps as "little" as $1,000.00 given that I have a used starter clutch coming in and I can pull the motor and reinstall it myself. That's why I was considering replacing the motor with an 1100E motor and fixing it later on. I'm not sure what I want to do; however, the 1100E would give me some additional power and I could take my time doing a solid build-up of the original motor. I bought an '82 GS1100E for this purpose. I got the whole bike for $700.00 running with 42k on the clock, a new chrome stock exhaust, new battery, new tires and aftermarket shocks. It's just missing one sidecover. I really hate the idea of tearing apart a good 1100E and I'm telling myself that I will put the motor back in the bike as soon as the Katana's original motor is done. So far the guilt is still there though. If and when I reach that milestone I think I will paint the "new" GS1100E black with metallic gray lettering, polish the motor, install GSXR forks and aftermarket wheels. I think the bike would look great like that. I love it in the burgundy though so of course I would have to keep the one I already have and ride religiously.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2006, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X