Valve Adjustment Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment Questions

I have a 1980 GS1100E. I was checking my valve clearance but had a very difficult time getting it set as accurate as I belive it should be. I have been looking for a tool the would hold the valve adjuster tight as I tighten up the locking nut. I normally use a set of neddle nose plyers but it is very hard to hold the adjuster with out moveing it while tighening up the locking nut. Dose any one know if there is such a tool and if so where I can get one. I checked the local Suzuki Shop but they didn't have one or even know where I could get one.

Thanks
    The Beast

Will post the genuine part number tonight, Suzuki genuine special tool, available from your local lazy a$$ suzuki dealer. Mine cost $6. The part number is in the genuine manual if you cant wait.

Dink

Comment

Motion Pro Tappet adjustment tool... makes the job easy.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

tappets

And if your real fussy place another feel gauge strip in the other tappet so the rocker isnt twisted/on a angle when u set it. Go on dink say something Lol

Comment

Thanks everone. I will wait for the part number from Dink as I do not have a genuine manual.

The Beast

Comment

The Motion Pro tool mentioned by RenoBruce is much better than the stock Suzuki tool. It combines the adjuster and lock nut wrench together and makes it very easy to hold the adjuster steady while you tighten the locknut.

I have had both, after using the Motion Pro adjuster you will throw the Suzuki part in the garbage.

It cost more, but will last longer than your bike.

Good Luck, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
            1983 GS750ED
            1992 Ducati 900SS

Comment

Now the big question. When adjusting the valves how tight should they be. I normaly use a .005 feeler guage and tighten them down till the feeler gage needs a little effort to remove it. Is that a good or bad way to take the measurement.

The Beast

Comment

Tappet adjust driver # 09917-14910 thats what my book said.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I just ordered one.

The Beast

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                    And if your real fussy place another feel gauge strip in the other tappet so the rocker isnt twisted/on a angle when u set it. Go on dink say something Lol
                    Sharpy be sure to stick to that. Your "twisted" enough as it is8-[ LOL

Dink

Comment

old post i know, but found the same tool on amazon for 26 vs motionpro's 43

Comment

In response to how tight the tappet should be: Old rule of thumb I was taught for tappets is that the feeler blade should be a good sliding fit, BUT the next size up (.006" in this case ) feeler blade with not go through.
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2007, 12:52 AM.

Comment

A trick that can be used in place of a tappet tool in an "emergency" for the GSX 4 valve, is to get an old posidrive screw (like an engine case cover screw etc) about 3" (75mm) long and bend it into an "L" shape, like an allen key. The short end of the bend should be at the screw head end. The centre of the posidrive screw will actually capture the small square adjusting screw to allow you to perform an adjustment. This will get you by, but only for emergencies.

Comment

Working...
                          X