gs1000 - inverted forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 - inverted forks

I am in the process of rebuilding a 79 gs1000 and I have a set of forks and trees off a 02 gsxr750. I know this has been discussed before, but the trees don't fit because the stem isn't long enough. What are my options? What year gsxr had the right length stem and 50mm tubes? Could I press out the gs stem and put it in the gsxr tree? or should I just get a front end off an earlier model?
    Thanks

The front end you are looking to bolt onto your bike uses different style steering head bearings so that right there will cause you to need a new shaft. The other problem is the forks you are working with are ultra short. You will lose lots of ground clearance with that swap. '90-'95 (2nd generation) 750 and 1100 front ends are what you want.

Comment

i have a 2000 gsxr 750 frontend on a 80 gs 1100 i used a stem from a 78 gs 1000

Comment

did you just press out the 2000 stem, then press in the 78 stem? Also, did you loose a lot of ground clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
          did you just press out the 2000 stem, then press in the 78 stem? Also, did you loose a lot of ground clearance?
          I am also interested in this. My friend replaced the forks on his 2001 GSXR750 forks with 1000 forks and offered his old forks at a very affordable price to me. I have an 81 gs750. Does anyone know what parts I should be looking for? Should I be looking for a 954 triple? Will I need to find another stem? Will this put my pipes to close to the ground? I am going to be really bummed if I can't make this work.
          Thanks for any help

Comment

Originally posted by 1quik6 View Post
            I am also interested in this. My friend replaced the forks on his 2001 GSXR750 forks with 1000 forks and offered his old forks at a very affordable price to me. I have an 81 gs750. Does anyone know what parts I should be looking for? Should I be looking for a 954 triple? Will I need to find another stem? Will this put my pipes to close to the ground? I am going to be really bummed if I can't make this work.
            Thanks for any help
            With the 954 triple you gain a bit more clearance. With the suspension set up properly bottoming won't be much of a problem. The 954 triples were available with tapered and sealed rollers. I picked one up with the stem meant for tapered bearings. You can always switch to rollers if the triple requires them. Just count on going with Gixxer wheels and brakes.

Comment

Runrx02 yes thats what i did the 1000 stem is a little small,like a few .000s so i used a set screw to hold it . i also had to make a spacer for the top clamp because the stem is smaller than the hole thats in it

Comment

Run check the picture gallery under 1981 GS750e (larry Taylor) the turbo bike

Comment

thanks a lot for your replies larryt. I have acquired a set of earlier gsxr trees and everything fits up pretty well with the 02 legs. Still haven't set up the rear with the mono-shock gsxr setup so I haven't been able to check ride height or anything.
                  My next question is that if I have clearance issues can I run a 954 upper clamp for an extra inch or so? I have read of people doing it, but I'm not sure if the whole tree setup is needed or just the upper part.

Comment

Working...
                  X