twin brake rotors/calipers upgrade for 750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twin brake rotors/calipers upgrade for 750T

I want to correct this weak point in an otherwise excellent ride.

How hard is it? Can I use the stock wheel? master cylinder? Any advice/tips are appreciated.

Are the forks already drilled for the 2/nd caliper?

I would change the master cylinder off a dual disc setup, just to be sure.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Right now I have a plain (non-drilled) right fork.

I'm thinking of getting forks, calipers, rotors and hoses from an 850. It looks like the parts swap according to the micro-fiche. The front wheel off the 850GZ and the 750TZ are the same part number, so the rotor will bolt on. The fiche also shows that there are no extra spacers required for the conversion. I will probably need some bracket attachment for the T on the hoses to fasten somewhere.

I just want to find out if someone's already done this and if there are any gotchas. Someone's parting out an 81 750T on ebay which appears to have this conversion done on it. Might be an opportunity to pick up most of the parts cheap. I got dibs, ofcourse

Comment

Just did it about a month ago, used the forks from a dual setup model. You will have to get a MC from a duel setup as well.

Everything is a direct swap with minimal headaches. Do yourself a favor and replace the seals while you have the forks off.

Comment

ericox, thanks for the tips. Why will I need to swap the MC? Is the stock MC designed to work on single calipers only? They look very similar to me.

So how's the dual rotors compare to the single?

Comment

Here is what i derived from asking around. The problem lies in the valving of the MC. The single (regardless of look) is made to push enough fluid for one caliper whereas the dual is valved to push enough for the double capacity.

For all it costs (minimal, ask around the board for one) its not worth the risk to try to get by with a single.

Also, try to find a complete assembly. I thought the old single caliper mounting bracket would mount up to the double...nope. You will need the dual mounting brackets. The calipers are the same.

Something else i did, i put in a pressure sending unit at the Tee fitting (under the tripple tree) and did away with the stock font brake switch (on the right rip assembly). Less wires on the handlebars and works waaaaaaay better. If you go this route, spend the extra 10 bucks (was about 18bucks) and buy a good switch or you will be repacing it soon.

The dual definately has better stopping power and is an upgrade i would recommend (espically if you have drum rear brakes like me). If you have the $$ go with braided lines. I didnt, but probaly will down the road because it gets rid of the line expansion (even new rubber lines expand).

Good Luck
            Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2006, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X