Carb. Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb. Question

I have a 1980 1100E with an 1166cc kit that is stock except for the Vance & Hine header and the stage 1 jet kit. My bike runs great. It runs strong all the way up to 9000 rpm but it seams to have a flat spot coming out the gate in first gear. It seam like it takes about a half a second for the fuel to hit the cylinders. I have checked the plugs and the color is good. I am just a little baffled on where to go now. I have nothing to compare it to so I am not sure if I am just being paranoid or do I need to do some fine tuning. HELP!!!!!!

The Beast

Clean carbs is the first place to start!!! Whilst they are out check the condition of your carb boots closely.
    When cleaning the carbs pay particular attention to two areas.
    1 the idle progression holes, these are in the throat,near the butterflies at the front, be sure they are clear.
    2 the emulsion tubes, these are the brass "pipes" where the slide needle seats, that your main jet screws into the bottom of.

Be certain both are clear, buy a cheap brass wire brush and pull a "bristle out, use it to clear out all the holes you can find.
    These carbs have a lot of small passage ways in them easily clogged by "modern" rubbish fuels, the size of the passageways makes them pretty prone to clogging as well.

Dink

Comment

Hmm, i'm not the expert when it comes to big bore kits, but it sounds like you need a bigger jet kit. Or atleast the needles shimmed a little. That would help off the line.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Greg, your comparing off the line to what you get at 9k rpm :twisted: maybe just perception? They don't pull strong until you hit at least 3k. It also could be running a little rich on the idle circuit. let it run for a few minutes at idle and shut it off without revving it. Then do a plug read. See if your running rich at idle. If the idle circuit is rich you would bog when you try to get going but be fine once your up running on the needle.

Comment

I am going to try Hoomgar's idea before I take the carbs off to make sure that everything is clean. If it dosen't work I will more than likely wait untill I put her away before I mess with it. I would hate to fix something that is not broken just to end up breaking it.

The Beast

Comment

Working...
          X