GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
    Say Jeff, just curious, but whats that tiny little wire running along your speedo cable there??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Say Jeff, just curious, but whats that tiny little wire running along your speedo cable there??
      It could be the pick up for the digital speedometer. Then again, it might be part of the guidance system for the bike-to-car missles. Can't remember.

Comment

For those that may be interested. Below is a twin piston caliper set up for the GS models with a single disc. You get better braking without changing the front forks to adapt for the twin discs. The standard heavyweight GS disc has been replaced with a Honda CBR disk. The standard GS discs of any size will not work on this conversion.

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Note also that stainless steel brake line has been added which attaches from caliper directly to the master cylinder.

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

The only thing to do now is replace one bolt that is different from the rest and I am not happy about the sharpish bend in the speedo cable as it passes the caliper.

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Nice job Don. Looks like Earl's brake hoses there. Nice work!
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Nice job Don. Looks like Earl's brake hoses there. Nice work!
                Thanks Ed. I tracked Earl's down in Sydney and it was a piece of cake to do the banjo ends. Thanks for your help along the way.

Comment

Suzuki Don, is that an f3 rotor?

I WILL find a way to do a dual setup with wire wheels and those rotors.

SEX.

Comment

With no mention of a spacer, and the use of the single disk fork, I'm guessing 98/99 CBR900rr Fireblade.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2008, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                      With no mention of a spacer, and the use of the single disk fork, I'm guessing 98/99 CBR900rr Fireblade.
                      You got it in one Jeff. Thanks for your help too.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
                        Suzuki Don, is that an f3 rotor?

I WILL find a way to do a dual setup with wire wheels and those rotors.

SEX.
                        You have a couple of problems there.

1. There are no mounting lugs on the right front fork leg for the single
                        disc bikes.
                        2. If you go to front forks from the twin disc bikes then the mounting lugs on the lower fork legs are in a different position. Too low on the fork leg to work with this size CBR disc (310mm).

Dan is working on a twin disc conversion for the Kwaka calipers using the twin disc Suzuki forks. But he is using the CBR 600 discs which I think are about 295mm in size. There are a number of CBR 600 models: F1, F2, F3 & F4. The discs don't have the offset that the 900 has so a spacer is required I believe.

This info is only from what I have read on here. Dan is the one with the info as he is doing the trials with everything. Think he will be testing the setup around mid September when he gets all the bits that have to be made up back from the machine shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                          You have a couple of problems there.

1. There are no mounting lugs on the right front fork leg for the single
                          disc bikes.
                          2. If you go to front forks from the twin disc bikes then the mounting lugs on the lower fork legs are in a different position. Too low on the fork leg to work with this size CBR disc (310mm).

Dan is working on a twin disc conversion for the Kwaka calipers using the twin disc Suzuki forks. But he is using the CBR 600 discs which I think are about 295mm in size. There are a number of CBR 600 models: F1, F2, F3 & F4. The discs don't have the offset that the 900 has so a spacer is required I believe.

This info is only from what I have read on here. Dan is the one with the info as he is doing the trials with everything. Think he will be testing the setup around mid September when he gets all the bits that have to be made up back from the machine shop.
                          So the fireblade rotors dont need the spacer then is what you're saying? Do the mounting holes line up or do you have to do something there??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            So the fireblade rotors dont need the spacer then is what you're saying? Do the mounting holes line up or do you have to do something there??
                            The mounting holes line up but are 6mm and need to be drilled out to 8mm. No big deal. I did mine and I don't even possess a pedestal drill.

You can't fit the Fireblade 310mm rotors with the twin caliper fork legs though. The calipers just dont line up. The top lug on the single disc fork leg is higher than the one on the twin disc fork leg.

The Fireblade rotor has the correct offset for the caliper on the single disc GS fork leg. Suzuki don't make a right hand fork leg for a single disc, so this Fireblade conversion will only work if you are going with one disc on the left side.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Jeff I noticed on some of your pics in your thread on the 550 twin disc conversion that you have used a type of bracket to hold the brake hose near where the front guard attaches to the fork leg. Nerobro has used the same part as well as displayed in the pic below.

My question is where did you get this bracket from. Does it have a Suzuki part # or what is it off and where can I get one.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                                Does it have a Suzuki part # or what is it off and where can I get one.

Thanks Jeff
                                I had some laying around from my many Ebay purchases, but they are still available from Suzuki. 'Bout $5.00 U.S. dollars. If you order some, be sure to get the little rubber grommet too. I think all the post 1979 bikes had 'em, but I know a 1980 850g used 'em for sure.

Good job with the single disk. Your mod gives folks yet another option. I'm so glad you guys are getting some use out of this swap. You though, have taken it to the next level. Looks really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X