No announcement yet.

GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome post, Jeff. Most guys who've ridden these bikes and a newer bike will agree they need better brakes. That being said, this should be a popular thread!

To confirm what was required, you could not use the original rotors from a dual-disc setup because they were not a large enough diameter?

I guess my only beef is it was tough to find a drilled single rotor for the front on my old 550...finding two would be rough. Used brake rotors wear and warp too...and new ones are $200 from BikeBandit.

What did you end up using for the master cylinder? You're going to need to match the ratio for the new calipers!

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
      To confirm what was required, you could not use the original rotors from a dual-disc setup because they were not a large enough diameter?
      Correct. The smaller rotors could be made to work, but the caliper hanger would need more modification.
      The great part about using these calipers is that the caliper hanger is steel, not aluminium. So you could weld it

I guess my only beef is it was tough to find a drilled single rotor for the front on my old 550...finding two would be rough. Used brake rotors wear and warp too...and new ones are $200 from BikeBandit.
      Most of the small bikes had the single rotor. Just have 'em drilled. I've seen ones off a GS450 go on ebay for $.99!

What did you end up using for the master cylinder? You're going to need to match the ratio for the new calipers!
      ~Adam
      Good question! :-D
      Kawasaki is great about using one part forever. The master cylinder from any 600, 750 '88 to 97 Ninja, or Concours will work.

Comment

Kawasaki is great about using one part forever. The master cylinder from any 600, 750 '88 to 97 Ninja, or Concours will work.
        Ah, but that's where the fun stops! Kwackasaki uses a reverse threaded mirror, so you'll need an adapter to make the threads go back the other way...

~Adam

Comment

Ah, but that's where the fun stops! Kwackasaki uses a reverse threaded mirror, so you'll need an adapter to make the threads go back the other way...

~Adam
          Yamaha uses two LHT mirrors. All the normal bikes have one left and one right.

Comment

Comment

Great job! I hope they work as good as they look.
              Looking at the photo, three things came to mind.
              1. Have you thought of switching to a plastic fender? You won't lose any stiffness in your forks (I see what looks like an old style fork brace) which leads to
              2. If your fork brace is anything like the one I have it's too heavy! I wound up replacing it with a more modern (and lighter) one.
              3. Drill those rotors!

Comment

Originally posted by humhead View Post
                Great job! I hope they work as good as they look.
                Thanks!
                I'm not sure if I'm going to use the fork brace or not. Can't use a modern one, It kills the "old school" '70's vibe I'm shooting for. :-D
                I have an 1100E fender I could swap out. If I decide to keep it.
                I'm also back on the fence about the mags. The spoke wheel and tire is lighter than a bare mag with no tire.
                The rotors will get drilled, I just ran out of time.

More to come.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2006, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                  Do you realize what it's going to feel like riding a GS1000 that actually has BRAKES! :shock:
                  When you find out let me know.......

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                    When you find out let me know.......
                    Life's to short for bad brakes...and could be even shorter because of 'em.

Comment

How much will you charge for a pair of the brackets to mount the new caliper?

Comment

Well, I finally got the brakes bled and took it for a test drive. I'm happy! :-D They actually work very well.
                        Pads aren't seated yet, and it was already dark, so I only took it around the block. More to come. 8-)

Comment

Well, I finally got the brakes bled and took it for a test drive. I'm happy! :-D They actually work very well.
                          Pads aren't seated yet, and it was already dark, so I only took it around the block. More to come. 8-)
                          I'm glad you're happy! I can't wait to ride with you and Ninja! Thanks again for the bag - it's a perfect fit......will send a pic tomorrow (or Ninja will).

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzr View Post
                            Thanks again for the bag - it's a perfect fit......will send a pic tomorrow (or Ninja will).
                            No problem. Glad it works. :-D
                            Btw, will the laptop actually fit in it?

Comment

Btw, will the laptop actually fit in it?
                              I think it will but I think I'll need to get a hard case for the laptop for added protection. The bag will be perfect for carrying work attire when I starting commuting on her. Motorcycle boots and pants aren't exactly "business casual"! :-D

Comment

Looks like it was made for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X