GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by first timer View Post
    looking good jeff, I didn't see anything in list about a new chain/master clip though. let me know what you think of that 18 rear, i am curouis about how they handle. the black wheels look good too.

you doing the brown county ride? how about the deal's gap one? i will be missing the brown county ride but will be at the gap, i still want to ride with you one of these days.

-ryan
    Thanks. The bike handles just like it did with the wire wheels. (also 18" rear)
    I am going to Brown County, but not deals gap...We'll have to figure something else out.

Best regards, Jeff

Edit: This what the 1000 looks like now.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2007, 01:52 AM.

Comment

These the right ones?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How much different would the mounting bracket need to be to fit these on the slotted dual rotors?

I'd been wondering about giving it a go myself. If I can get some brackets designed I can get our CNC shop to make some up
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          No. Too wide.
          These are the ones I used.
          Note there are for threaded holes on each bracket, they will d@mn near bolt on anything with a large enough rotor.

Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            How much different would the mounting bracket need to be to fit these on the slotted dual rotors?

I'd been wondering about giving it a go myself. If I can get some brackets designed I can get our CNC shop to make some up
            I'll gladly send you the specs if you'll put me down for a set as well. Let me know how much they would be, and I'll send you the $$$.

They won't work on the smaller rotors. The pads are not square pucks. They are shaped like this: )) You know, like a car brake pad. By the time you had them sweeping that small an area, the very tops of the pads would be hanging out over the rotor.

Comment

Sorry if i'm a bit late, i only just caught this thread

Just one question..... did you change the master cylinder to suit the new calipers in the end ?

later model cylinders have a larger dia piston & so move more fluid this coupled with braded lines should give better feel at the lever \\/

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                Sorry if i'm a bit late, i only just caught this thread

Just one question..... did you change the master cylinder to suit the new calipers in the end ?

later model cylinders have a larger dia piston & so move more fluid this coupled with braded lines should give better feel at the lever \\/
                I'm still running the stock 14MM single disk master and braded steel lines. I wanted to get my fairing mounted before I started swapping to make sure it would clear. I am using a nice late model Nissin (14MM) on my GS550. It came from a 94ish Katana.

The newer master cylinders may have a longer stroke, but they don't always use a larger piston. Many late model bikes use a 14MM master. The piston size is stamped on the under side of the master cylinder, so finding one should not be a problem.
                Stock GS dual disk master uses a 5/8 piston.

If you want to get a better understanding of master cylinder ratio's check this out.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

lmao no i dont need a better understanding of brakes or cylinders thanks, i was just finding out if you where aware of the different dia pistons ratio's & strokes of some late model master cylinders :-D:-D:-D

Comment

lmao no i dont need a better understanding of brakes or cylinders thanks
                    Glad to hear it. Have you done any mods to your brake system?

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                      Glad to hear it. Have you done any mods to your brake system?
                      Not on the latest efe m8, i want to keep that one totally stock apart from braided lines, the other ef is having a complete k4 gsxr front end with 6 pots so thats not much of a mod either

in the past i have fitted a gs1000 with nissin 4 pots & brembo master cylinder, a gsx with a gsxr rear wheel & single 330mm disk & 6pot caliper in the front & lastly a 6pot on a gs500 wheel & disc in slabside forks in a gs750

Also fitted 4.5" , 5.5" & 6" wheels & there atendant brakes, swingarms etc in just about any of the bigger gs's or gsx's you can think of :-D

Comment

Not on the latest efe m8, i want to keep that one totally stock apart from braided lines, the other ef is having a complete k4 gsxr front end with 6 pots so thats not much of a mod either

in the past i have fitted a gs1000 with nissin 4 pots & brembo master cylinder, a gsx with a gsxr rear wheel & single 330mm disk & 6pot caliper in the front & lastly a 6pot on a gs500 wheel & disc in slabside forks in a gs750

Also fitted 4.5" , 5.5" & 6" wheels & there atendant brakes, swingarms etc in just about any of the bigger gs's or gsx's you can think of :-D

Well, what are you waiting for, let's see some pics! :-D

Comment

Been watching this thread eagerly. I am a big fan of re-engineering. I do however, have one concern with this setup. Not trying to be a pessimist or a ball-buster, but... It would appear in the photos that when the brakes are activated all of the kinetic energy that they are trying to scrub off would be directly acting as shear forces against the top mounting bolt. My concern being that after a period of use the top bolt could be weakened enough to shear allowing the caliper to pivot up and around the bottom bracket. Yes? No? Definitely wish you the best with your efforts. Just some input from a different angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
                            My concern being that after a period of use the top bolt could be weakened enough to shear allowing the caliper to pivot up and around the bottom bracket. Yes? No?
                            It's been on there for over a year, and now you tell me!:-D

J/K, I've been watching the bolts...6,000 miles and nothing has moved so far. (keep your fingers crossed)

You know, when I started this thread, I was hoping other folks would maybe expand on the idea, and come up with a better way that is still a bolt on solution...I guess I'm the only one that thinks stock brakes are even more dangerous than my metal fabrication techniques. :shock:

Comment

You know, when I started this thread, I was hoping other folks would maybe expand on the idea, and come up with a better way that is still a bolt on solution...I guess I'm the only one that thinks stock brakes are even more dangerous than my metal fabrication techniques. :shock:[/quote]

I totaly agree our bikes do lack stopping power. I do applaud the eginuity. I would also like to see more of Ausracer's setup as it appears very stout. That is one sweet race bike. As for the GS's I strongly reccomend drilled or slotted rotors. IMO the best single brake upgrade if you have solid rotors. My GS is an '80 1000G Dual slotted disks up front. So far the only brake component so far has been to replace the m/c with one from a CBR 929. I did the swap due to the angle of my Tommaselli adjustable bars. The angle was to steep for the stock m/c. Currently 90% of my stopping is done with only one finger on the front brake. I only need more than that for emergencies. (I usualy reserve the rear brake for slow speed stops and control issues.) Perty darn good for a 30yr old 560lb beastie. Next will be stainless lines as I can feel the flex in these old rubber lines and it is frightening. Now I suppose I'll be looking into some sort of caliper swap in the future.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                                It's been on there for over a year, and now you tell me!:-D

J/K, I've been watching the bolts...6,000 miles and nothing has moved so far. (keep your fingers crossed)

You know, when I started this thread, I was hoping other folks would maybe expand on the idea, and come up with a better way that is still a bolt on solution...I guess I'm the only one that thinks stock brakes are even more dangerous than my metal fabrication techniques. :shock:
                                Barely read this now. I'm gonna take your idea and run with. I'm somehow gonna figure a way to mount a 6 pot caliper up front. I only got one disk to work with so I gotta get the most bang for the caliper as I can.... Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X