GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
    Barely read this now. I'm gonna take your idea and run with. I'm somehow gonna figure a way to mount a 6 pot caliper up front. I only got one disk to work with so I gotta get the most bang for the caliper as I can.... Any suggestions?
    The problem I ran into with the opposed piston calipers, is that they are too wide. They will not clear the spokes on the wheel. (these are tokico 4 pots from a Katana) I know it's hard to tell from the picture, but the inside of the caliper is up against the wheel spokes.

Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2007, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Sh!t that really sucks. Hmm around what year is that off of?..... Alright plan B. How well would you think your setup would work but in single disc set up

Comment

..... Alright plan B. How well would you think your setup would work but in single disc set up
        The EX500 Ninja, and many of the Kaw cruisers run that caliper solo.

Edit: Here's what the Kaw calipers fit.
        EX 250 Ninja 1988 to 2007 (single caliper on right side)
        EX 500 Ninja 1994 to 2007 (single caliper on right side)
        ZL 600 B1 Eliminator 1995 to 1996
        ZR 550 B1/B2/B3 Zephyr 1990 1992 1993
        ZX 600 C1-C9 Ninja 600 R 1988 to 1996
        ZR 750 C1/C2/C3 1991 to 1993
        ZX 750 F1/F2/F3/F4 Ninja 1987 to 1990
        ZG 1000 A9-A20 Concours 1994 to 2006
        ZX 1000 B1/B2/B3 Ninja ZX10 1988 to 1990

The tokico's were off a 90 something Katana.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2007, 11:40 PM.

Comment

The EX500 Ninja, and many of the Kaw cruisers run that caliper solo.
          Aye, that they do. Do you know the bore size of the master cylinder for the EX500, I can't find a darn thing online about it.

I'm doing a brake upgrade on my CB500, but sticking with a single caliper. I bought a new EX500 master cylinder to replace the stocker...

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
            Aye, that they do. Do you know the bore size of the master cylinder for the EX500, I can't find a darn thing online about it.
            It's not stamped on the under side? Is it a Nissin?

Comment

Unfortunately it's not on the bottom of the part. It's an aftermarket replacment, I guess: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120177599888

Comment

AOD,
                Those guys offer a pretty good assortment of aftermarket masters, for a variety of applications. I've looked at them before, and I think the real question is what to do for replacement parts/re-build kits.
                8Track,
                Just got myself a set of Ninja 2-piston calipers to mount to my 1000 forks, as well. I don't have any reservations about the caliper fastener loadings...I dont think that a properly torqued/proper grade, 3/8th"(approx) fastener would shear in this situation. The bolt are as tough as the aluminum fork boss'.

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                  8Track,
                  Just got myself a set of Ninja 2-piston calipers to mount to my 1000 forks.

And remember folks, this mod is for off-road use only and should never be performed on an actual motorcycle used by actual people on actual roads. This thread is for entertainment purposes only.

(The hole spacing on the bottom link ended up being 40mm, the thickness of the spacer will be the same as the fork boss)

Comment

AOD,
                    Those guys offer a pretty good assortment of aftermarket masters, for a variety of applications. I've looked at them before, and I think the real question is what to do for replacement parts/re-build kits.
                    Believe it or not, most OEM's still sell all the internal brake parts. I bought mine directly from Suzuki for my 1100E master cylinder rebuild.

As for the guy selling master cylinders, I just wish I knew what the bore size was. I know it's coming from a single caliper bike, just like mine, but it's going to have more pistons than my single on the CB.

Regardless, the MC on the bike now is junk, so this will be a definite improvement, even if the master cylinder ratio is off.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks, 8T...*fortunately, I'm not an actual person who will ever do any actual riding*.
                      AOD, I was referring to the ebay guy that always has a handful of aftermarket M/C's for auction...my comment was to the point of rebuilding them years from now. Maybe they use some accessible OEM parts. Now we're back to "what's the piston dia.?

Comment

For that price I would think you could junk it & buy another one!

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          For that price I would think you could junk it & buy another one!

Dan
                          What? :shock:
                          And cut into his beer money? :razz:

Comment

8track. I just realized that you only show pics of the right caliper. And realized that I only have a left rotor. Do you have the same thing going on on the other side???? I found a caliper online for the right side but will it work for the left? Do they even make this kinda caliper for the left side?????

Comment

8track. I just realized that you only show pics of the right caliper. And realized that I only have a left rotor. Do you have the same thing going on on the other side???? I found a caliper online for the right side but will it work for the left? Do they even make this kinda caliper for the left side?????
                              Yes, they do make a right and a left caliper.
                              No, a right side caliper will not work on the left side.
                              (You have to be able to bleed it after all.)

If you are attempting to put this on a single disk bike, my adapter set up won't work. The upper mounting lug will be too high. You can still make an adapter, but it will have to be able to relocate the upper mount as well. Not just the lower.

Comment

Fiddlesticks! Ah well I guess now's a good time to see if I can get any other calipers on there. Thanks anyways

Comment

Working...
                                X