No announcement yet.

GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff, am I seeing this correctly? Just want to make sure, as it may be a mod for the cafe in the future. The bracket you made to add the needed clearance is just the bolt to bolt straight piece on the lower bolt? And then the bigger rotors? Is there a necessary bracket to make the rotor holes line up or are those Zook rotors? I dont mean to sound dense ( I AM sometimes..hehe) but i just wanted to be clear on the bracket and that, otherwise it seems a very simple, effective swap. I've a mind to, next winter, tear the cafe all back down and do all the cool stuff i had planned to begin with since i wont feel rushed to get it back together now. And also, if you've still got those wire wheels, and want to sell em, lemme know! Spokes are like crack to me

Comment

Single disk bike rotors. Like a GS 550 or something.

The bracket appears to be a linking piece but I suspect there is additional thickness we can't see behind the caliper bolt.

I suspect that if you get a set of the calipers, all will become clear.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Single disk bike rotors. Like a GS 550 or something.

The bracket appears to be a linking piece but I suspect there is additional thickness we can't see behind the caliper bolt.

I suspect that if you get a set of the calipers, all will become clear.

Dan
        Yes, there is a small spacer behind the link. It's the same width as the mount on the fork leg.
        The 300mm rotors can be sourced from just about any of the GS's using a single rotor. 550,550L 650L 750, 750T, 1000C and 1000N etc.

Using the 650L, 750T rotors would give you the factory "slots". But since they were all on the right side, the left would look backwards. If you can live with that, those would be the ones to find.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Jeff what's the bolt centre to centre measurement on your link plate please so I can double check against what I do?

Thanks,

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Jeff what's the bolt centre to centre measurement on your link plate please so I can double check against what I do?

Thanks,

Dan
            Can't remember off the top of my head. 8-[
            I'll PM it to you when I get home later today.
            (I posted 40mm center to center, but I will double check)
            Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks mate
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Jeff,

These 450 ones have a spine pattern diff from yours & the same as the pattern on my 1000, are you sure that they are bigger too?? 250 has this same spline pattern too.

Cheers,

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Dan - look for the EBC catalog if you can find it. It lists the bolt patterns of various rotors in the back, as well as the diameter and thickness.

Comment

Thanks for that tip rob. I have been looking around to see if there are any modern disk options. One of the big problems is trying to find a cheap one that's flat to allow an adapter plate. Ninja ones seem to go cheap but they're not flat so prob won't work. Still calculating.... I'm getting a set of the single brake bigger disks as back-up.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I have been looking around to see if there are any modern disk options. One of the big problems is trying to find a cheap one that's flat to allow an adapter plate. Ninja ones seem to go cheap but they're not flat so prob won't work. Still calculating.... I'm getting a set of the single brake bigger disks as back-up.

Dan
                      Dan, just get a fellow GS'r with a 450 to measure if you want to be sure.

Some early second generation Katana's had six bolt floating front rotors. They "might" work. I was going to try to find a set, but they seem to be a bit rare. Again, you might find the specs on the EBC site just to be sure.

Comment

Just thought I would post an update here..... the 450 & smaller bikes do use the smaller rotors.
                        When looking for rotors look for the "straight splines" connecting disk to centre rather than the angled multi pattern ones.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Just thought I would post an update here..... the 450 & smaller bikes do use the smaller rotors.
                          When looking for rotors look for the "straight splines" connecting disk to centre rather than the angled multi pattern ones.

Dan
                          Noted. I put your info in the first post. Thanks for posting that. :-D

Comment

Jeff, I finally got my dual discs working. Holy smokes.:shock: Stops with two fingers.\\/

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                              Jeff, I finally got my dual discs working. Holy smokes.:shock: Stops with two fingers.\\/
                              Two That's one finger too many.
                              Keep at it Billy. You'll get it right someday.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                                Two That's one finger too many.
                                Keep at it Billy. You'll get it right someday.
                                Ha. I think I'm reaching a point of diminished returns. I'll stick with two for now. If I scoop up some different calipers you can bet that I'll fab up a bracket.

Comment

Working...
                                X