No announcement yet.

GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I can tell everyone that this does not work on a GS1000 "L". I hate having an L, nothing interchanges. The discs are the same as all other GS1000's, but yet the caliper mounting is 5mm bigger, so I modified the brackets(slotted out the bottom hole) and got them to fit. Drilled the brakes to fit, and guess what, brakes hit the top slider, cannot get the axle in, probably about 5mm away. So I guess my options are to make my own brackets or to switch to a standard GS1000 front end/fork lowers. My question is, how would that affect my steering geometry, anyone know?

Comment

I had a suspicion it wouldn't work on L forks. Did I send you a bracket? You need to put your bike model in your signature...

Can we have some pics? I can't fathom exactly where you are touching or why you would "drill" the brakes??

I wouldn't think switching to the other style fork would cause you any issues, seen people with that mod before on here.... I think the travel is the same & the axle centre to triple is the same too - check it out though. I can measure a GS1000 set for you if you want. You should be able to put the tubes straight into your triples.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I meant drill the holes for the correct fitment of the Honda F3 discs onto the GS wheel hub, sorry for any confusion. Yep, go the brackets from you recently. I knew it may not work, but had to try, just really frustrated with this bike right now. Basically I have two options; make my own brackets for the "L" forks or use some "E" forks. And yes, could you measure some "E" forks for me? Ah the joys of owning the chain driven "L" bastard child.

Comment

The beast.

Comment

Is your bike in pieces? Wonder if the fork tubes are the same... if they are I have a set of lowers I could work out a price on.

Actually I have a whole set of forks, was keeping them as a spare but I could always pick up another set if I needed them. Not perfect but pretty good. Came off a 12k mile California bike that sat in the same garage as my Skunk since 1982. One side is in pieces but all pieces should be there, should slot right into your triples if they are 37mm.

If we could work out a deal you could try them out & if it doesn't work & you haven't damaged them I'd take them back just with you paying postage both ways.

Get yourself a fork brace from "Fast from the past" too. I was amazed at the difference.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Is your bike in pieces? Wonder if the fork tubes are the same... if they are I have a set of lowers I could work out a price on.

Actually I have a whole set of forks, was keeping them as a spare but I could always pick up another set if I needed them. Not perfect but pretty good. Came off a 12k mile California bike that sat in the same garage as my Skunk since 1982. One side is in pieces but all pieces should be there, should slot right into your triples if they are 37mm.

If we could work out a deal you could try them out & if it doesn't work & you haven't damaged them I'd take them back just with you paying postage both ways.

Get yourself a fork brace from "Fast from the past" too. I was amazed at the difference.

Dan
              Switching "L" forks to "E" forks will require the entire tree to avoid alignment problems. The clamp geometry is JUST slightly different enough to cause issue when you start putting it back together...At least on the couple of models ive played with. And, since MOST of the GSs share alot of the same stuff, Id assume (should I?) that its pretty much across the board in this application.

Comment

Makes sense... I don't have the clamps.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

At the risk of being jeered for not reading all 17 pages, can anyone point me to a source for front rotors (single disc GS1000). They are no longer available new, and I can't find an aftermarket source.

The Concours calipers are all aver the place, though.

Or, is there an alternative?

TIA

Comment

You can also get single 550 or 750 rotors. 550 are the most common, it's usually pretty easy to get a good pair on Ebay.

You could fit CBR rotors, you need some hub spacers & it's more work...

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks. There seem to be plenty of the twin-disc "E" set ups around. Not so many single disc.

Or are they the same for 550s? Bikebandit says no.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Hmmm. According to the EBC book, GT750 rotors should work. There's lots of those around. Anyone try them?

Comment

I believe hub fitment is the same. If the offset is similar & the diameter is 295mm approx then they will work.

There are at least a dozen of the right 550 ones available here:

Get the best deals for Gs550 Rotor at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks. I saw the same results, but I thought that there were twin disc GS550's in the US. Now, I realize that the double disc 550's were probably sold only in Europe.

Comment

The double disc ones were only sold in 82 in the US I think.... You're looking for solid ones with a different spider....

This is the one:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks. I missed that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X