Suspension Help?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Help?!!

Could some one please tell me how to correct my front end from dipping so low when I put on the brakes. I know this sounds stupid, but this is my first bike and I have no idea how the front suspension system works.

Hello.
    New springs and changing the fork oil will do wonders.
    They will always dive a little...
    What model bike is it?
    Do you have a manual for it?

Comment

Excellent suggestions from 8track.
      Put a tie wrap on each fork tube at the bottom (while on the center stand and no weight on the front end ) and report the fork travel ( distance from bottom of fork to bottom of tie wrap) in your next post also. It will help the suspension experts diagnose your issues.

Comment

Can I make it stiffer than stock? I know it means a rougher ride, but I want just a very little amount of give.

I don't have a manual

Is there a place that I can look for directios on how to do this? I can do anytihgn to a car, so working on a bike should be fine if I know how to do it.

Comment

Again, what bike do you have??? ?A 450 or 550 is a lot different than an 850 which isn't the same as an 1100, and suspension differs between model years as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            Again, what bike do you have??? ?A 450 or 550 is a lot different than an 850 which isn't the same as an 1100, and suspension differs between model years as well.
            True.
            For example, my 550E has progressive front springs, 20 weight fork oil, and no spacers. It corners great, and stays in contact with the road well.

When I shimmed the stock srpings, it was way too harsh and would skip out on hard corners.

Point is, firmer isn't always better. But, your model may vary. Use the search feature, and learn all about it! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by ap72 View Post
              Can I make it stiffer than stock? I know it means a rougher ride, but I want just a very little amount of give.

I don't have a manual

Is there a place that I can look for directios on how to do this? I can do anytihgn to a car, so working on a bike should be fine if I know how to do it.

Simply try some fresh fork fluid. Either 15wt, or 20wt. thicker fork fluid slows down the speed at which your forks compress. There might not be anything wrong with your springs. Fork springs are $100, and fork fluid is $11. I about guarantee you still have the original skanky fluid in your forks.

Comment

its a GS650GL

how do I change the fork oil and what's the best brand to use and the best place to order it from?

Comment

Okay, the FIRST THING you need to do is get the manual.

On my 1100, I just replaced the oil in my forks with 15W, and replaced the old stock springs (and rear shocks) with new Progressives. My suspension is now perfect. Good as new.

Do a search of this site and you will find suspension, and fork issues have been q & A'ed many times.

Good luck, and I hope you have as much fun tinkering with yours as I did with mine.

P.S. you can get suspension oil at a local bike shop, and you can get the Progressive springs from www.bikebandit.com, or www.denniskirk.com.

Comment

I just replaced my fork oil and it made a lot of difference. It was reccommended that I use 5w, as I'm very light, so that's what I did.
                    I wonder if it would be more sure footed if I put a heavier oil in it.

Comment

Originally posted by courier11sec View Post
                      I just replaced my fork oil and it made a lot of difference. It was reccommended that I use 5w, as I'm very light, so that's what I did.
                      I wonder if it would be more sure footed if I put a heavier oil in it.
                      Ack! 5wt is extremely thin for a heavy 80's street bike...... Your weight really has nothing to do with selecting fork oil weights. Fork oil controls the SPEED at which the fork compresses. You generally should choose a fluid based upon your riding style. 5wt is more suited for an off road motocross bike, where the forks need to react quickly to large bumps. I would recommend at least 10wt.
                      I am running 15wt and I weigh 155 lbs on my 1100E

Comment

When I did mine, I changed the fork oil to a 50:50 blend of automatic tranny fluid & 30 wt. engine oil as my manual suggested, then I cut about 1-1 1/2" thin wall tubing that I inserted at the top of the forks. These mods firmed up the ride perfectly for me.

Paul
                        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                          then I cut about 1-1 1/2" thin wall tubing that I inserted at the top of the forks. These mods firmed up the ride perfectly for me.

Paul

So you are saying you used 1 1/2" tubing to add more "prelaod" the the stock springs? Dude, 1 1/2 is WAY too much spacing. I am very surprised you have not experienced fork spring "coil bind" as the forks near the end of thier travel. Most street springs can be shimmed up to about .88" without any issues. Also, adding preload spacers is a easy, but incorrect method of "firming" up fork action. When you shim a spring, all you are doing is altering the initial firmness of the spring, you are not changing the rate at which the spring compresses. The correct way to firm up forks is to properly match the spring rate to your individual weight.

Comment

Dude, You are right. We did this for our gs1000 dragbike. We also ran struts so my example is out of the realm of probibilities for a street bike.

Paul
                            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
                            X