Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size Changing- 1980 GS850

Hi all,

I'm going to be switching the front tire on my 850 from a 110/90 to a 100/90, based on someones advice.

I'm wondering if there is a possible change/upgrade for the back tire choice from the 130, maybe to a 120?

Would this increase the handling? I'm running with progressive suspnsion front and rear, and am also shortening the spacer in the front during the winter for some better cornering, and am looking to make this bus handle as well as it possibly could.

thanks.

POOT

Going down in a size, as in ur case shouldn't be aproblem.
    If anything it will make it handle a little quicker or turn in quicker.
    Also depending on brand and profile of tire.

You may want to keep the 130 rear if your doing lots of high speed highway, more contact patch, and if you carry a load.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

ok. sounds like a plan. I do a fair bit of high speed, bot with and w/o load.

I'm doing my road trip now, which should mean that my tires (me88) will last till the end of the season. I'm then going to put the 55 on the rear, and if the front is no good after this season, then I'll change it to the 100/90. Its still good, as it was brand new at the beginning of last season. no weird spots, bubbles, etc.

thanks.

POOT

Comment

The standard and best handling tire size for an 850 is 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 (130/90-16 for a GL model) rear.

Some claim that 110/90 fronts don't affect the handling. I happen to know for a firsthand fact that a 110/90 front does affect the handling negatively, turning a very nimble bike into a pig, relatively speaking. You won't crash and die, but the bike is not as nice to ride. Stick with the 100/90-19.

Some also claim that you can sometimes cram a 140/80 rear in a shaftie, depending on the tire brand. I haven't tried this personally, but I do know the rim width is too narrow for the wider tire, so the tire profile will be wrong and the effect on handling will also be negative. Stick with the 130/90-17 (or 16).

The equivalents in letter size tires (Dunlop 491) are MM90-19 and MT90-17.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          The standard and best handling tire size for an 850 is 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 (130/90-16 for a GL model) rear.

Some claim that 110/90 fronts don't affect the handling. I happen to know for a firsthand fact that a 110/90 front does affect the handling negatively, turning a very nimble bike into a pig, relatively speaking. You won't crash and die, but the bike is not as nice to ride. Stick with the 100/90-19.

Some also claim that you can sometimes cram a 140/80 rear in a shaftie, depending on the tire brand. I haven't tried this personally, but I do know the rim width is too narrow for the wider tire, so the tire profile will be wrong and the effect on handling will also be negative. Stick with the 130/90-17 (or 16).

The equivalents in letter size tires (Dunlop 491) are MM90-19 and MT90-17.
          I totally disagree with you, bwringer, probably for the first time I can remember. I had four 850's, from 1986 thru 1999, and ran 110's on them. I tried a 100 once and couldn't tell the difference in handling. I agree that a 100 wouldn't hurt, though...

I have a 110 on the front of the GK I presently ride. I recommend to all that you use a 110 if you have any kind of frame-mounted fairing and/or are a heavy rider and/or push it hard on the corners (all three apply to my case).

I have a friend who installed a 140 on the rear of his GK, and it was sooooooo... tight with the swingarm back there, I'd hesitate to intall one. I agree tht a 130/90-17 (or 16) is best for the back.

Comment

I originally had a 100/90/19 on my front tire. I ride an 82 GS850. The shop I bought my tires at put a 110/90/19 on it when I had them replaced. I thought it was a bit heavy but overall happy. Until...I bought new tires recently and to the suggestion of a friend - put the correct 100/90/19 back on - my goodness, what had to be pushed into a corner hard, now slides in and out alot faster and smoother.

I recommend the 100. Do what you want, but I would swear by it as far as handling goes.
            Al Jones
            82 Suzuki GS850GL
            97 Suzuki TL1000S
            "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
            Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
            sigpic

___ -\
            (O)--(O)

Comment

Working...
            X