Frame Bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame Bracing

I nearly finished my GSX1100 resto and I’m starting to think and prepare for my next project. I’ve got lots of GSX bits left over including tank, body parts, engine and frame so I was thinking of something like this….

But then this really takes my fancy.

The Kat would require additional parts and would probably defeat the objective of using surplus parts but that is just so coooool (just as soon as you **** off those ‘60’s trail bike indicators).

Either way I probably won’t use the GSX engine but rather the GSXR1100. I wouldn’t do either projects without a performance increase to back up the looks and I think the GSXR is an easier, faster and cheaper, as well as having weight advantages etc.

Which leads to my question (s). I have assumed that bracing/strengthening will be in order. Over a period of time I’ve been gleaning info/comments and photos etc from the web about bracing. Now I’m neither experienced nor qualified in this area but from what I’ve gleaned I suss that there is not a lot of science been applied but an awful lot of unnecessary bracing from what I’ve seen.

Q1.So, question one. Has anyone applied or devised a method to ascertain before bracing, or tested after bracing, the effectiveness of bracing. I read somewhere, and I can’t recall where, that someone had bolted a frame to a concrete floor and applied leverage to the frame to crudely ascertain flex. Has anyone done that to the GSX frame?

Q2. Have you done bracing? What have you found necessary/effective?

Then again I might just have an exciting flexi flyer Rat Bike per excellance…

Cheers, Graeme.

I remember seeing it on oldskoolsuzuki. I'm sure if you search their site you will find it.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

got any more pics of the 1100? that thing is bada$$ lookin

check out http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/patrick/h...tiff/index.htm
      Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X