Fitting Larger forks to older GS1000/1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting Larger forks to older GS1000/1100

I also posted this in the "Technical" section. Has anyone installed large diameter (40mm plus) conventional forks (not "upside down" style) on a '78-'83 GS1000/1100E? What bike did they come from? How did they work?

Hi, I have use 41mm forks from a Suzuki gsx600f with uprated springs. If you get the yokes (triple clamps) from the same bike it will fit right in using the same bearings but you will have to remove the lock stop from the frame.

Cheers,
    Mark...

Comment

Thanks, Mark

That is very interesting. Were the gsx600 forks the same length as the old GS1000 forks? How does the bike handle?

Jerry

Comment

41mm front end off an 88 1100 katana. The clip-ons are vortex. They worked great. Was a 30 min swap...

Comment

I have forks from GSX600f too. I fitted in 750f aftermarket springs and the result was pretty good. I think that I should play a bit with oil thickness. Now I have to use maximum damping setting and I think that some extra damping would be good. The forks are about one inch shorter than original ones and 17" wheel drops another inch, not too bad.
          Arttu
          GS1100E EFI turbo
          Project thread

Comment

Originally posted by Kaptain Ketchup View Post
            [41mm front end off an 88 1100 katana. The clip-ons are vortex. They worked great. Was a 30 min swap...
            Mark;

sounds like 30 minutes well spent - looks like it too!

Is that the whole front end, i.e. calipers, wheels etc or just the forks? I'm guessing it was a straight swap it it only took you 1/2 an hour...

Comment

Headlight and controls are stock. Triples, tubes, calipers, wheel, axle, etc. were a direct swap. Just made a spacer to get rid of the speedo drive and 30 min later... done.

Thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Working...
              X