Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What performance mods for '82 GS450L? (power, handling, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What performance mods for '82 GS450L? (power, handling, etc)

Inspired by this thread:

I am trying to explore my options on my current bike. I would like to see what is available in terms of performance mods to improve the ride of the bike, be it power, handling, braking, etc.

The only discrepency is I can't tell if my bike is an 81 or 82 GS450L, I'm not sure if there's any physical differences. Gotta check on that.

I've read all about brake/fork swaps, using GSXR shocks, etc....and want to know what is available for my model.

Thanks in advance! :-D

Hrm, didn't the L model have a 16" rear wheel and the 'chopper' styling?

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, and if you really like the bike ignore me, but this isn't the best choice for a starting point. I would say it's a nearly impossible starting point, actually.

A) It's a parallel twin, right? You're giving up big power to the inline four guys immediately.

B) This was never seen as a performance model, as such, there's nothing in the way of aftermarket support.

C) The geometry, seating position, everything really; on those L models seemed purposefully designed to defeat attempts at performance handling.

If you want a bike to improve, buy an inline-four, non 'L' model. The GS450L is a great commuter bike.

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm not sure. I'm not familiar w/ the older GS bikes, and am at work and can't run out to the garage to check on it.

Trust me, though: I'm not out to build a bike that'll run 'busas. I just want to know what's out there, what's fairly cheap and easy, and how well it works. I am extremely mechanically inclined, so if I can bolt on a cheap end/suspension from another bike and it makes a world of difference in the bike's handling, I'm game as long as it doesn't require welding (I can weld, I just don't want to cut up this bike ) I may take it for a spirited drive through the hills to enjoy the bike and enjoy its limits, but will not expect it to handle like a modern crotch rocket. I would rather learn the ropes of a smaller vehicle and then move on to bigger and better things, than to start on a behemoth and not be able to harness it to its potential. \\/

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
      Hrm, didn't the L model have a 16" rear wheel and the 'chopper' styling?

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, and if you really like the bike ignore me, but this isn't the best choice for a starting point. I would say it's a nearly impossible starting point, actually.

A) It's a parallel twin, right? You're giving up big power to the inline four guys immediately.

B) This was never seen as a performance model, as such, there's nothing in the way of aftermarket support.

C) The geometry, seating position, everything really; on those L models seemed purposefully designed to defeat attempts at performance handling.

If you want a bike to improve, buy an inline-four, non 'L' model. The GS450L is a great commuter bike.

Comment

I would just enjoy the 450 for a while. Do a nice job getting it running. Not worry about performance. Save up some money for the next bike while waiting for the right bike/deal to come along.

Comment

i agree with Dimitri. i got my '81 450L 3 months ago, my first bike as a new rider, and i was convinced for about a month that it was the end-all and be-all of 2-wheeled excitement. it is inevitable that you, like me, will eventually tire of it.

really, unless you have a pristine model that you intend to keep for a while, it is more cost-efficient (and really just a better idea) to get a slightly more flexible bike. more cylinders are a better way to gain power and drivability than anything else, and a lot cheaper. the GS450 is just not going to reward your money and labor in the same way a different, probably larger, bike will.

if you love the small GSs, then I'd say a newer 550 or the like is going to be a better starting point. but really, i think as you grow as a rider, you'll probably want something larger. that's just the reality of it. i got the same speech from an older rider right after i got my 450, and his prediction has come true.

Comment

My suggestions:

-Dump the fork oil and replace with 15W - will firm up the damping. While you have the springs out cut off a couple inches of coils and make new spacers out of PVC - this will stiffen the front end and reduce front end dive under braking.

- Try to find some better rear shocks. I don't know of any particular make/model to recommend but I know the stockers don't have much if any damping.

- Transsion to performance tires if you don't already have some. BT45 Bridgestones are a popular upgrade.

Good luck and enjoy your 450!
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by akier View Post
              i agree with Dimitri. i got my '81 450L 3 months ago, my first bike as a new rider, and i was convinced for about a month that it was the end-all and be-all of 2-wheeled excitement. it is inevitable that you, like me, will eventually tire of it.
              I bought my 450L in '85 and I'm still riding it now. I've never got tired of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Red View Post
                I bought my 450L in '85 and I'm still riding it now. I've never got tired of it.

:-D

I'm very happy with this bike, and keep in mind exactly what it is.

Just to update the thread, I have added 15W fork oil and am in the process of cutting and spacing the front fork springs. The oil helped a lot, and I'm looking forward to the modified springs. I got into a very hairy situation the other day by coming around a blind curve and having to transition to the other direction....loading and unloading the front end at the mouth of the curve made for a nightmare of a situation! So taming the front end was a priority of mine.

The front tire was upgraded and fairly new when I bought it, next purchase is a new rear tire to replace the old brittle piece of rubber. I've also made some other fairly major changes to the bike, which I will outline in a future thread.

Comment

I got a handling improvement cheap by replacing the rear shocks with air shocks from a 1982 Yam XJ650. They have 4 position damping adjustment and air preload. They work great on my ' 80 GS450S. $70 for Progressive brand fork springs is not too much to spend either. Cutting your stock springs and adding spacers will stiffen them up but reduce overall travel, which is not much to begin with at approx. 4-5 in. You may have issues with bottoming...

I would leave the motor alone. You might get a few (as in 2 or 3) extra ponies by messing with increasing the breathing (aftermarket air filter, exhaust and rejetting) but I doubt if it's worth the effort and expense, and the risk of reducing the reliablility. I would just be happy with the 40hp available from the stock motor. I talked to a guy at Bert's who used to race the GS450 and he said he never ran it BELOW 9k rpm. So if you get it to rev out to 8k and still have pull there you'll be getting close to 35-37 of the bhp available. That's been enough for me. Approx. 40bhp for a 400lb. bike is still a better power-to-weight ratio than most cars.

Comment

I've had an 80 450L for about a year now. At first I thought it was the best. After a while though you really want something with more power. It was very tempting to not break it down and redo the whole bike. I just had to keep convincing myself that within another year and with more experience I'll want a bigger motor. I plan on finding that bigger motor and building it up while I drive the 450. The only thing I've done to the 450 was a new dunlop rear tire, clubman bars, new guages and cut the turn signals down so they are flush with the body. 60 mpg is great for commuting but I've learned a heavier more meaty bike is what I'll really want to spend my money and time on. To me the 450 is a great communter/cruiser that you can make look cool. It also gives you a really great taste of the GS and biking altogether. Hopefully Soon I'll post a pic.

Comment

I agree with those who say don't put a whole lot of money into it. When I started looking for my first street bike I wanted a GS450L as I had rode one as a kid and thought it was a great bike. I bought an '83 GS550L instead, it has a 4 cylinder and works pretty well. No regrets at all. Comfortable, gets about 45 MPG, cheap to insure and nobody wants to steal it!
                      If you really like your 450L and want to keep it, here is what I would spend my money on: 1) Electrex stator and Regulator. 2)Dyna Ignition Coils and Wires. 3)Clean all wiring connectors, soldering as many connections as possible. There is a reason that so many of the L models were sold, they're affordable, comfortable and reliable. Enjoy it the way it is!
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X