Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeway RPM's

Hi all,

I just converted my GS1000E from the stock chain and sprocket size to the 530 size chain and sprockets. When I did the switch I asked the fellow at the suzuki shop to help me choose a sprocket ratio that would lower my rpm's at freeway speed, ie ~75mph. I can't remember right now what ratio I put on the bike but my rpm's at 70mph right now are around 5k. Does that sound right or should I be able to get them lower without loosing bottom end power too much? I think I could still drop a few teeth on the rear sprocket, but before I buy another one I wanted to test the knowledge here. Sorry I don't remember off-hand what my tooth ratio is, I'll check it tonight and post that as well. Thanks in advance for any insight.

that is slightly lower than stock from my experience...

and perfect revs for highway riding... I pull 5 k rpm's @ around 100kph/60mph

these lovely 1000's dont get excited until 6k rpm's

... but when they do its just awesome....:shock:

... and they will do 7-8k ALL day long....\\/

Comment

Stock gearing....i'm about 4K at 60mph/100kpm

5K is just when it starts to breathe right :-D
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
        Stock gearing....i'm about 4K at 60mph/100kpm

5K is just when it starts to breathe right :-D

and when your fingers start to go numb from the handlebar buzzzzzzzzzz

I am geared 15/40, and I cruise at about 4600 rpm's at 70 mph.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2006, 07:14 PM.

Comment

WOW---

I just had the bike out on the road this weekend and -----
          78 GS1000

4000 RPMS at 70 mph ????????????

UHHHHHHH - Anyone know where I can look or what I can do to see what gear I have in the back...

I do not have a ton of power at low end , but man she screams at the top...

THanks

Comment

My '79 1000E indicates 70 mph just a hair past 4,000 rpm's. 4,050?
            Stock gearing is 15/42. 19" front wheel, 17" rear. I believe your '80 is the same.
            I plan to go to the 530 chain later and I'm probably going to run as close to stock ratio as I can, so I'm looking at 17/48 sprockets.
            Since the 530 sprockets are smaller in diameter, I think you should run a 17 simply to keep the chain off the swingarm. Also, I think the chain makes too sharp a turn going around the smaller 530 15 sprocket. May cut into chain life, so I think a 17 prevents that too.
            As for the rear, a 530 42 sprocket looks funny. A 48 is larger and looks right. The 17/48 combo will be pretty close to the stock 15/42. What is 15/42?...a ratio of 2.8/1? So 17/48 would be almost the same. So if you wanted a little lower cruising rpm's and you want the new sprockets to be nearly as large as the stock ones were, I'd say 17/45 would help and you shouldn't lose much power at lower speeds/around town.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm seeing the same rpm's as Keith, KBG and Clam. Miy '78 1000E is still running the original sprockets, slightly less then 10K mileage. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks for all the input! My bike has been under the knife for quite a while, so this is the first time I've had her on the freeway in a long time... so I don't really remember what the engine speed was like before. My sprocket ratio is 15/40. The tach cable needs some lube, because the gauge jumps around a bit but as near as I can tell it's running 4700-4800 rpm at 70mph- which is about what road clam reported. Now that I've had a few days to commute on her I'm pretty happy with the setup; I think i'll leave well enough alone- I've got too many other ideas to spend my time and $ on as it is! Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Biker326 View Post
                  Thanks for all the input! My bike has been under the knife for quite a while, so this is the first time I've had her on the freeway in a long time... so I don't really remember what the engine speed was like before. My sprocket ratio is 15/40. The tach cable needs some lube, because the gauge jumps around a bit but as near as I can tell it's running 4700-4800 rpm at 70mph- which is about what road clam reported. Now that I've had a few days to commute on her I'm pretty happy with the setup; I think i'll leave well enough alone- I've got too many other ideas to spend my time and $ on as it is! Thanks again for all the help!
                  When I dropped my rear sprocket gearing from 42T to the 40T it made a noticable difference in lesser highway rpm's. I would say it dropped my cruise rpm's about 300 rpm's. I can't comment on other years, but as far as my '82 E model, Suzuki went with "drag race" close ratio gearing to get a lot of agressive acceleration off the showroom floor. Not well suited for extended highway cruising.

Comment

are you guys allowing for our lying lil speedo's

Ive been checking mine lately after reading all your posts... cause I seem to be cranking a whole lot higher revs on the highway...

I have always suspected the P.O. has a tighter sprocket on it - cause its like lightening off the mark - any gear actually....

but at highway speeds I am over 5k rpm @ 140 kph....#-o over 6k rpm @ 160 kph...

red line at 200 kph.....O

Comment

I'm pulling 7 grand at 75. Redline is 11,000 so I am ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X