Lighter Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter Frame

Has any built a new better braced frame with lighter materials based off the old one?

Getting my winter project lined up.

Adam

I've been wondering the same thing. A GS1000/1100/1150 with a stiffer aluminum frame and late model suspension/radial tires to match all that power would be incredible.

Comment

Does anyone have the frame dimensions loaded in solidworks or another program? Or just a good clean drawing of one?

Adam

Comment

Comment

I just found a pic of a frame braced that I like.

[IMG]http--www.prutser.info-images-fase2-framepijl.jpg[/IMG]

Adam

Comment

sorry here it is

Comment

Are you having any problems with weave/wobble when leaned over at speed? I wonder if bracing the frame would have much of a positive effect on frame flex.

Comment

From what I have read it would definitly give an increase in performance but you would be better off asking Katman. I think that he did some bracing on his bike. Oh yeah, I do have some head shake when I am going fast and I just have the feeling that the bike could be so much more stable.

Adam

Comment

After no luck in finding a copy of the gs1100 frame modeled in solidworks my perfectionist side is forcing me to just go ahead and create a model myself. And if all goes as planned I will be able to test the stress and loads on the frame. Then I will be able to test the best positioning and sizes of the braces to best distribute the load from the steering head to the swingarm. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Adam

Comment

So far I have to say that solidworks is the greatest program ever!!!

I have only gotten a small part done but the information feedback is extrodinary. It calculates the total weight of the frame based upon the density of the type of metal used. Tests for weaknesses in the over design of the frame and gives you the center of mass. I am sure thats only a fraction of its capabilities.

I think that this program is a massive time saver for any one performing mods on their frame. I will keep working on the chassis model and I will share it with anyone who wants it. (also how to easily get solidworks free).

Adam

Comment

For those of you looking to squeeze every bit of performance of your ride this program also has drafting analysis. Great aid in getting the proper downforce from you custom suspension.

Adam

Comment

That program sounds amazing! How do you get it? I'd like to learn how to brace the GS1000E frame in the best way possible!

Comment

Go to Oldskoolsuzuki.info, click on the link for GSX/EFE Katana, then under 'Articles' there is one titled "Making your GSX frame stiffer."

Lots of pictures and a few diagrams.

Comment

I checked that out but I want to take it a couple steps further and do some stress testing and load tests on different braces before I start anywork on modifying the frame.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                            X