• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Brake lines for the GS1000

RUS-640511 ENDURA #3 TO 10MM (3/8")35DEG 4 @$8.99 $35.96

RUS-657040 18" STRAIT #3X10MM BANJO 3 @$21.99 $65.97

RUS-657080 30" #3 X10MM BANJO 1 @$23.99 1 $23.99

Total: $125.92

Here's what I ordered from Summit Racing for the Skunk. The lines come with a straight banjo crimped on one end and an AN-3 female on the other end. Install the 35 degree banjo fitting on the other end and you're done.
    A bit cheaper than the kits available out there. Plus I was able to shorten the lines going down to the front calipers by one inch (the stock ones are too long IMO). I'll post some pics after I get them installed.
    Last edited by renobruce; 09-29-2006, 01:08 PM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Originally posted by renobruce View Post

Here's what I ordered from Summit Racing for the Skunk. The lines come with a straight banjo crimped on one end and an AN-3 female on the other end. Install the 35 degree fitting on the other end and your'e done.
    A bit cheaper than the kits available out there. Plus I was able to shorten the lines going down to the front calipers by one inch (the stock ones are too long IMO). I'll post some pics after I get them installed.
    Sounds like an excellent price. I paid $179 for the custom red lines on my 1000. Made by Galfer, I got 'em through www.cyclebrakes.com. I was able to specify the lengths required, banjo to banjo. Order to delivery took 3 days! I was impressed.

Only mistake I made was measuring a 16" line from the master cylinder. Since I have a short handle bar, I'm okay. But if I ever want to put a higher bar on, I'll need to replace the line.

You got a good deal, my friend.

Comment

BTW, these are Russell competition brake lines.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

There's a shop here in Albuquerque (PECO Industries on 2nd street) that makes custom brake lines. I'm sure that they aren't the only ones in the country with the machine to make them. Just had a set made for a KZ900. Braided stainless, two lines, 38" long. 90 degree banjo on the top and a 30 degree banjo on the bottom. Took about 20 minutes to make them up while I waited. $72 total with tax.

You might check where you live and see if there aren't similar shops that make hydraulic lines and stuff.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by triffecpa View Post
          There's a shop here in Albuquerque (PECO Industries on 2nd street) that makes custom brake lines. I'm sure that they aren't the only ones in the country with the machine to make them. Just had a set made for a KZ900. Braided stainless, two lines, 38" long. 90 degree banjo on the top and a 30 degree banjo on the bottom. Took about 20 minutes to make them up while I waited. $72 total with tax.

You might check where you live and see if there aren't similar shops that make hydraulic lines and stuff.

Tracy
          That's a good deal. The same set up you have would be 85.34 + tax from Summit. I checked with a few local shops... one wanted $195.00 + tax, the other $210.00 + tax. 8O The cheapest I was quoted online was $156.00 + freight. Summit is in my back yard so I can pick them up. I like the look and quality of the Russell stuff, too.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I got a set of HEL SS lines on my 850 Major improvement in braking
            AND I got them for free No I didn't steal them, they never sent the bill..

Comment

Ditto on the hydraulic hose shop. I got braided steel lines for the brakes and oil cooler made at a local shop. They made 'em while I waited.

Comment

Here's what I ordered from Summit Racing for the Skunk. The lines come with a straight banjo crimped on one end and an AN-3 female on the other end. Install the 35 degree banjo fitting on the other end and you're done.
                Why 4 lines? Are you not eliminating the splitter? Do you have pics of the installation?

Comment

Originally posted by jkevbriggs1 View Post
                  Why 4 lines? Are you not eliminating the splitter? Do you have pics of the installation?
                  No, I'm not eliminating the splitter. I haven't picked them up yet. There was one piece that was back-ordered. I should have them by the end of the week. I'll post some pics once they are installed.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Thanks RenoBruce, I've been wanting to do this to my GS750 and did not know where to order the parts. Is there any place this can be saved so we can get back to it??

Comment

Originally posted by HammerHead View Post
                      Thanks RenoBruce, I've been wanting to do this to my GS750 and did not know where to order the parts. Is there any place this can be saved so we can get back to it??
                      Maybe just print it out and keep it with your manual. My backordered stuff is finally in... I'll get them picked up and take some pics.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Maybe just print it out and keep it with your manual. My backordered stuff is finally in... I'll get them picked up and take some pics.
                        Good idea, Thanks

Comment

The 18" lines are a bit too short. Ordering some 21" lines that should be here later this week. I'll post my results.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Well, I stayed with the 18" lines down the legs, and used the 21" line from the master cylinder to the tee. The rear line worked out great. The 18" lines down the legs are shorter than stock. I wanted to shorten them up a bit to keep them from running into the oil cooler. If you want to go with stock lengths, get 20" lines. Here's some pics:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Well, I stayed with the 18" lines down the legs, and used the 21" line from the master cylinder to the tee. The rear line worked out great. The 18" lines down the legs are shorter than stock. I wanted to shorten them up a bit to keep them from running into the oil cooler. If you want to go with stock lengths, get 20" lines. Here's some pics:

Thanks Reno, you did an esxcellent job. Appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X