SS Brake lines for the GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home built brake lines.

Have any of you ever contemplated getting metric fittings and bulk braided hose? On a few of the off-road rigs and exotic cars I service, some length and fitting combinations are not available. The process to construct your own braided lines is not diffiult as long as a suitable cutting tool is available (pnuematic abrasive cutoff wheels work dandily). Given all bits and measurements, the process is less than 10 minutes per line.

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Jim View Post
      Have any of you ever contemplated getting metric fittings and bulk braided hose? On a few of the off-road rigs and exotic cars I service, some length and fitting combinations are not available. The process to construct your own braided lines is not diffiult as long as a suitable cutting tool is available (pnuematic abrasive cutoff wheels work dandily). Given all bits and measurements, the process is less than 10 minutes per line.
      Yes, that is my goal. I haven't really found a supplier yet that supplies in bulk but must also admit that I haven't looked that hard either. We do have an artical that defines the required steps necessary to make this change. If you know of a supplier that will work with us individually, please supply that information.
      Appreciate

Comment

Brake lines, continued.

I source from a local supply house (local to Owings Mills, MD), but anywhere that carries Aeroquip should be of use as long as you can specify fitting and internal hose dimensions.

Comment

Summit Racing sells bulk. So do a few of the motocycle parts houses. But don't you need a special tool to crimp the fittings on?
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            Summit Racing sells bulk. So do a few of the motocycle parts houses. But don't you need a special tool to crimp the fittings on?
            Reno,
            In one of the articals on the forum, the hoses are cut and fittings are tightened with a nut that spreads the hose tight against the fitting. Is this not the prefered way?? The last thing we want is to have the brakes fail due to a fitting issue. I tried to find that artical but could not locate.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerHead View Post
              Reno,
              In one of the articals on the forum, the hoses are cut and fittings are tightened with a nut that spreads the hose tight against the fitting. Is this not the prefered way?? The last thing we want is to have the brakes fail due to a fitting issue. I tried to find that artical but could not locate.
              I must have missed that thread. I remember awhile back looking for lines online, and there was one place that would sell you a machine so that you could become a local distributor. I think the machine was about 3 grand if I remember right.
              Last edited by renobruce; 11-14-2006, 03:53 AM.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

McMaster-Carr sells SS lines in bulk. In various sizes, too. Metric fittings are also available. If you don't know about them, they are an industrial supplier and not specifically a bike supplier. Their inventory is huge. www.mcmastercarr.com

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  I must have missed that thread. I remember ahwile back looking for lines online, and there was one place that would sell you a machine so that you could become a local distributor. I think the machine was about 3 grand if I remember right.
                  I'll try again to find that how to article.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerHead View Post
                    Thanks Reno, you did an esxcellent job. Appreciate the info.
                    DITTO

on my todo list when money and time permit...8-[

Comment

I went to a hydraulics shop a while ago asking about these banjo bolts that have a screw on flare nut. He said yes they work, but he wouldn't necessarily recommend them for break lines, the crimped on ones are much more secure and reliable. He is about a block or two from the local race track and apparently does a lot of SS lines for local racers, so I trust his advice.

Comment

I remember seeing a comprehensive article on making homemade Braided SS/Teflon Brake Lines. Cannot find it with the search feature Can someone kindly point me to it?

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
                          I remember seeing a comprehensive article on making homemade Braided SS/Teflon Brake Lines. Cannot find it with the search feature Can someone kindly point me to it?
                          I had a URL to it but it has been remove for some reason. If you find it, please let me know as well.

Comment

OK! ......I just found it at last. Thanks anyway!

Comment

Good article, but he says he's in $175.00 just for the front brake lines? :shock:
                              I'm in far less than that, and you can buy complete kits for the front and back for about the same price.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X