Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Mods for 1978 GS 1000

Good Day Gents,

I have recently bought a mint GS1000E with 11,000 miles and it is all stock and original. I love that engine and tranny, but the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. It sags a lot until I air up the fork to say 15lb, but then it is way too stiff - I feel every little ripple and bump. Lowering the pressure helps very little until I am back to 0 lb. I am unable so far to balance the rear settings to match the front either. I weigh 195 lb. and have set the rear preload to next to max with the damping wheel turned up to match. It rides like a bucking bronco.

I would like to leave it as stock as possible, but I am open to suggestions short of grafting on a late model fork assembly.

Thanks for any advice,

George

Hey George,

1. Welcome !
    2. Search "Progressive"
    3. If I remember right you got some nice twisties in you neck of the woods.
    4. Pictures please.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Definately get some progressive springs in the front forks. And chuck the shocks too, if they're originals. Best investment you can make, next to a good set of tires.

Use the search tool. You'll find gobs of useful info on this site.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have ordered the Progressive springs and we'll see how that goes.

Yes we do have a goodly number of great roads here, but beware of Deal's Gap- it is getting crowded and even more dangerous.

I'd send a pic, but it would be a waste of bandwidth. Dead-stock, black E model.

Cheers,

George

Comment

I agree, Progressives unless you want to spend more $$$.......
          A worthwhile upgrade and easy enough to do.

As to waste of bandwith, no.
          A stock black and whie "skunk" is one of the best looking GS'
          out there. Almost as pretty as the GS1000S, Wes Cooley model.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

IKON or Progressive shocks for the rear are the way to go, so I hear. If you've just won the lottery, take a look at Ohlins as well.

And grafting on a new front end may be the ticket you're looking for. I'm about to transplant a '04 Gixxer 1000 front end on my '80 GS1000E.

Comment

pics! pics! pics!

As you can see, some of us are adicted to skunks!

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb218 View Post
                Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have ordered the Progressive springs and we'll see how that goes.

Yes we do have a goodly number of great roads here, but beware of Deal's Gap- it is getting crowded and even more dangerous.

I'd send a pic, but it would be a waste of bandwidth. Dead-stock, black E model.

Cheers,

George
                George, I'm drooling over the pics you sent me. Your skunk is beautiful. With your permission, I'll post 'em for you. Then everyone can see what a fine machine you have.=D>

Comment

Racetech cartridge Emulators and springs for the front, and Progreesives, Ikons, or Works Performance for the rear!! Yeah BABY!!!!!
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Tom, You certainly have my permission to post the pictures. Would have myself if I knew how. I'm old and dumb.

Comment

I replaced the OEM rear shocks on my 1981 GS1000S with Konis back in 2000 when I bought it, it really didn't make a world of difference because the OEM shocks had both rebound adjustment and damping so were pretty good, but after almost 20 years with the same oil inside them, it was time for a change.

I didn't need to replace the OEM fork springs, I know that progressives are good, I've had them in other bikes, but I replaced the fork seals and oil, and my forks don't leak air, and work fine. I'm interested in these fancy "Racetech cartridge Emulators" though, anyone got them in their bike? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Did He Say Mint?

Here's a few pics of George's skunk. By the looks of her, I'd say she's a time machine! Nice find George!

Comment

WOW!!!!:shock:

Hardly a waste of bandwidth - that is the cleanest GS I've seen in a long time - absolutely beautyyyyful!!! Whatever you do to improve the suspension, make sure it still looks stock - that bike's a keeper the way it is. GSXR front ends and remote reservoir shocks and such are for bikes that aren't stock anymore and are never going to get back that way.

Noicy - me likes!\\/

Comment

WOW !!!

One of the best looking motorcycles ever built, IMHO.

What great find!

Please keep it close to stock, at least in looks.

One of the best uses of bandwith on here.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

82gs1100 Gl

Install Spacers In The Front Forks That Will Stiffen It Up Quite A Bit. I Took The Spacers Out Of Mine Because I Didnt Like The Stiffness I Mainly Commute 5-8 Miles Per Day Depends On Weather.

Comment

Working...
                              X