ZRX shocks on the GS550e w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZRX shocks on the GS550e w/pics

Well guys after much work, i got them to fit and mounted properly. I saw another thread about them, so i figured i would post my story.

I got them off the zrxoa website for $100 shipped from overseas. i was almost tempted to turn around and resell them.

They are about 2.5" longer and have totally changed how the bike handles... I need to work on my front end some, but the rear end feels great and is much smoother. I had a high speed wobble at 9.5k rpms when shifting that has been eliminated...

Overall i think it was worth it and has really changed how the bike handles and looks. CLICK TO ENLARGE

BEFORE

AFTER

1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

"Another thread" Come on man, give credit where credit is due. :-) I did it first ;-)
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
      Well guys after much work, i got them to fit and mounted properly. I saw another thread about them, so i figured i would post my story.

I got them off the zrxoa website for $100 shipped from overseas. i was almost tempted to turn around and resell them.

They are about 2.5" longer and have totally changed how the bike handles... I need to work on my front end some, but the rear end feels great and is much smoother. I had a high speed wobble at 9.5k rpms when shifting that has been eliminated...

Overall i think it was worth it and has really changed how the bike handles and looks. CLICK TO ENLARGE

BEFORE

AFTER

The problem is with longer shocks, you have decreased your front end "rake" (making the angle steeper). This is BAD for increasing front end "headshake". Some type of steering stabilizer will really be the only cure.

Comment

500 miles of midwest gs riding says otherwise ;-) The 19" front wheel is sure to be to blame for some of the stability.

My bike has those shocks, and the forks 3/8" up into the tripples. It feels a little like my 16" front wheeled 83 gs550.

The geometry on these bikes are really conservative. I should measure what my front end geometry is now. I need to dig up a plumb bob and a few good straight edges.

When I first got my bike it had a 130/90 tire on the back. When I swapped to the proper profile tire in back the bike went from light and flickable to pretty tame. I pushed the forks as deep into the tripples as I could, yet I couldn't get back the sweet handling the 130 tire gave me. I have it back now. And I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
          I had a high speed wobble at 9.5k rpms when shifting that has been eliminated...
          Ok, the shocks are cool and all, but lest talk about your shifting at 9500 spins... my 83 1100E redlines at 9500, is that the 550's redline too? What year is it?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
            Ok, the shocks are cool and all, but lest talk about your shifting at 9500 spins... my 83 1100E redlines at 9500, is that the 550's redline too? What year is it?
            1980... I granny ride my bike, but those high rpms shifts occur at the track.. I had begun to notice a rather large speed wobble in the rear end. I'm sure it was from worn out rear shocks/bushings.

And at this time I'd like to give all credit for this mod to nerobro... He's been a big help with my gs550.
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

peak horsepower for the 550 is supposed to be 9000rpm. redline is at 9500. The 650 top end has peak horsepower at 10, the redline at 10.5. :-)

Comment

Working...
              X