200 series tire on a 82 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200 series tire on a 82 gs1100e

I am tiring to fit a 200 series tire on my 82 gs1100e. Does any body know how to do this, and is it possible?

That's some big meat...

I'm not sure what you would have to do; however, I'm pretty sure that it would require replacement of the stock swingarm and any necessary modifications to go along with that. Do a search in the forums under different keywords and you might find others who have tried a similar feat and be able to benefit from their experience.

Comment

If you look in the "I.C.B.M Katana" thread you will discover that upto a 180 section tyre will fit the stock swingarm larger than that wii require not only a swingarm swap, you will also need offset sprockets and frame relieving to make it fit.

Dink

Comment

Take a look through this site http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/. There should be plenty of information there to get you started.

200 series is pretty wide. Anything is possible if you have the knowledge and the money. A GSXR or GSX1300 swingarm will not be that difficult to mount up to your frame. The problem you will run into is chain allignment. The chain will have to go through the frame on the left side. This can be overcome by making a tunnel through the frame with tubing. There are a couple of bikes on the previously mentioned site that have had this done.

I have a TL1000R swingarm I'd be willing to sell if you are interested.

Comment

I'm running a 190 on a 5.5 rim , I have a 7" over stock swing arm , its still is about the same as stock as far as the inside wheel clearance,
          I got a 530 chain with a small spacer on the front sprocket and the chain
          is no were near hitting the frame but thats with a 530 chain , its tight
          from rear sprocket to tire , just clears
          if you want pics of my set up email and I will send you some pics

Comment

Sounds like you're going to go through a lot of hassle for little gain. The old school chassis won't be able to use full amount of grip from a 200 series tire. Depending on the tire manufacturer you can stuff a 170-180 series into the stock swingarm with minimal modification (530 chain, grind the inside of the frame where the passenger footpegs bolt up.) Even that's more than enough for that chassis. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
            X