Getting more from a 79 850G (Shaftie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting more from a 79 850G (Shaftie)

I have been reading up on these great forums but haven't seen much on the performance side for us shafties. I live in the Rockies of SW Colorado and the bike really loses power going up the mountains. My girlfriend likes to ride along and the power really suffers with two people. What all can I do and what should I look out for while introducing more power to the old bike? Thanks for any help.

Push that thingy by your left foot down one click. If that doesn't improve power, try twisting the grippy thing on the end of the right handlebar.

Comment

Hum, I would expect a GS850 to have plenty of power, regardless of mountains and passengers and whatnot.

First, verify that the machine is running properly - that it has good compression, the carbs are carbing, spark plugs sparking, etc.

There certainly are things you can do for more power, but if you just want it to handle normal riding, the stock bike should be more than adequate (says the rider of a GT550 with no problems with mountains or passengers \\/ ).

Comment

1000 engines fit nicely in an 850 frame! That cured my underpowered troubles for a couple months anyway. My 850 was not really underpowered that bad, but it didnt run like my new (to me) 1000 engine does.

Comment

My '85 Shadow VT700C shaftie never gave me a problem in the hill country (big hills, we don't really have mountains here in Texas, just hills and a lot of dust...) and from what I understand inline 4's have considerably more power that a v-twin of the same size. I would definitely check to make sure the bike is running right. From what I've gathered here (and I've already filled one notebook with notes and tips) these bikes can "seem" like they're running great, when in reality they're not in top shape and a lot more can be achieved with proper tuning, jetting, etc. A compression check and spark plug reading can probably tell you a lot.

All that being said, I agree with the downshifting post, especially when riding 2-up.

Comment

IIRC, the later CV carb models have less trouble with higher elevations. Anyone know if this is true?

I've been to Mount Mitchell (6,684 feet) a couple of times on my '83 GS850, and never noticed any lack of performance at higher elevations. Of course, you might be dealing with much higher elevations than that.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah most of the time it doesn't seem to die out until about 9,000 feat or so. I have changed plugs and did notice the old ones seemed to be a little black indicating running rich. I have noticed that the intake boots are worn and hard could that be affecting it that much? I guess this winter I'll just have to get it to nice original running condition and check it out from there. The previous owner did mention something about this being a problem with CV carbs.

Comment

Years ago I had a CB750K up around 8-10k ft Tioga Pass. Was lucky to keep it going 25mph If it is always going to be at higher alt ? bump the compression up. Remove the head & have a .025 cut done. degree the cams, check valve to piston clearance-should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BSinCO13 View Post
                  Yeah most of the time it doesn't seem to die out until about 9,000 feat or so. I have changed plugs and did notice the old ones seemed to be a little black indicating running rich. I have noticed that the intake boots are worn and hard could that be affecting it that much? I guess this winter I'll just have to get it to nice original running condition and check it out from there. The previous owner did mention something about this being a problem with CV carbs.
                  Your 1979 GS850 has slide carbs. CV carbs were found on the 1980 and later models.

But again, I'm not entirely sure that the CVs actually do handle high elevations any better. Just a theory. Someone who doesn't live in Indiana will have to step in with an actual informed opinion...
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Someone who doesn't live in Indiana will have to step in with an actual informed opinion...
                    Yes, riding the roads near Franklin and the "Pinnacle of Indiana" have caused many riders to rejet, change plugs to a higher heat range and, of course, breathe supplemental oxygen. Brutal weather conditions are to be expected.

Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2006, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                      Yes, riding the roads near Franklin and the "Pinnacle of Indiana" have caused many riders to rejet, change plugs to a higher heat range and, of course, breathe supplemental oxygen. Brutal weather conditions are to be expected.

http://www.waynet.org/waynet/spotlig...-highpoint.htm
                      HA!........................

Comment

Working...
                      X