big bore kit for my 83gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big bore kit for my 83gs850g

I will be having to put new gaskets on my bike this winter and while Ihave it tore down I was thinking about boring the 850 out.If I do I was wanting to see what you guys think would be consider to be an appropiate route to go.The bike already has a 4 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust system and jetted carbs.Any advice would be appreciated.

I dont how far you can punch out an 850, if any.
    I just bolted a 1000G engine in my 850GLZ. I payed $150 for the engine and $40 for a set of carbs.
    The engine runs excellent.
    I have under $400 into the whole swap including a dynojet kit, spark plugs, oil and filter, gear lube (all synthetic). It took the better part of a Saturday to put the motor in and half of Sunday to dial in the tune up.
    I cant think of an easier way to increase the performance of an 850 (that much!) for even close to $400- youll pay that for some bigbore pistons if you can find some.
    The neat thing is the appearance of the 1000 engine is virtually identical to the 850 engine. Just make sure your splines are in good shape, but thats another story.
    Good Luck with your GS!!

Comment

That sounds like the best method, and if the 1000 engine isn't enough "poke" for you, (and I've got a stock 1980 GS1000G and am very impressed) you can buy a Wiseco 1100 kit, several different cam choices, Mikuni RS36mm carbs, etc etc, the world is your oyster! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

thanks

thanks 4 all the advice guys ill check out pricicing both ways and see which is the best route.

Comment

Working...
        X