Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what kind of forks are on this GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what kind of forks are on this GS1100E?

I saved this pic, and another one, of a GS1100E that I really liked and I'd like to find out what kind of forks the guy used. I am picking up another GS1100E that I want to modify. I am looking at going with high luster black paint with subdued metallic gray stock SUZUKI lettering on the tank and the same for the GS1100E on the sidecovers. I want to do the usual; the usual being an aftermarket exhaust, K & N Pods and some RS36 Flat Slides. However, I plan on a polished engine, forks like these, a chrome headlight bucket and aftermarket chrome instrument pod(s). Basically the bike will be black, chrome and polished metal. Throw on some aftermarket wheels and I think it will be a mean looking bike. My burgundy one will remain mostly stock with the exception of the "usual" as well and swapping the Performance Machine Chicanes to the Katana and introducing some GSXR black and polished rim tri-spokes. Are the wheels on this bike GSXR tri-spokes? Because they look like what I want.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2006, 12:25 PM.

I believe those are gsx-r wheels as well as the forks.

Comment

The front rim is definitely a 2nd generation GSXR ('89-'95). Can't really see the rear. They are 3 spoke with a sort of swept back spoke design. I have the same rims on my '82 1100E. Can't really tell what year/model fork is on there, although it does look a little short. The '95 1100 fork is the same length as the '82-'82 GS unit although you'll still lose some ground clearance by going to 17" wheels.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies thus far. It has definitely helped with what to look for and what not to look at. RJ, what mods did you have to do to make the GSXR wheels work? I think that the black spoke and polished rim design will really compliment the GS1100E I have and the one I'm getting; both are burgundy in color. What color is yours RJ? Do you have any pics with the GSXR wheels on it that you could send me? Also were the forks pretty much bolt-up or were there any necessary mods to be made? ~Gene
        Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM.

Comment

The front end is basically a bolt up deal. I used a '95 1100 front end and bolted up the GS handlebars on top. I used Bandit 400 gauges so that the speedo would read correctly for the 17" wheel. The rear wheel works with the GS spacers and sprocket carrier, 530 chain, GSXR caliper hanger, front sprocket shimmed away from the engine. The strut rod needs to be moved to the underside of the swingarm for the GSXR caliper to work. The GS caliper/rotor setup won't fit the GSXR wheel. I don't have pictures yet as I'm in the process of getting the rims painted (silver to match the engine).

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
            The front rim is definitely a 2nd generation GSXR ('89-'95). Can't really see the rear.
            Agree. Looks like they cobbled the front fender on, but other than that it looks like my 94 GSXRW front end.

Comment

Geez that's a nice looking bike, but I guess the owner doesn't like to ride around corners? You could take the stands off that bike and just use the alternator and ignition covers to prop it up! Must be that the builder wanted that "Drag Bike" look, I guess? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                I guess the owner doesn't like to ride around corners? Cheers, Terry.
                Terry, who does?

Comment

Well I do mate! Plus I'm 6'4", so my knees would be dragging on the road if I was on that bike, ha ha! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                    Well I do mate! Plus I'm 6'4", so my knees would be dragging on the road if I was on that bike, ha ha! Cheers, Terry.
                    I bet that would be fun to see...

Comment

forks

I just finished mounting the same setup on A 82 1100E I am using 93 gixxer forks and going the route Katman did with his Katana build.I am using honda 954 triples these will go right in the E frame and the drop down triple will give another inch or so of ground clearance.the only thing you have to mod is the steering stops so you do not mash the tank.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                        The front end is basically a bolt up deal. I used a '95 1100 front end and bolted up the GS handlebars on top. I used Bandit 400 gauges so that the speedo would read correctly for the 17" wheel. The rear wheel works with the GS spacers and sprocket carrier, 530 chain, GSXR caliper hanger, front sprocket shimmed away from the engine. The strut rod needs to be moved to the underside of the swingarm for the GSXR caliper to work. The GS caliper/rotor setup won't fit the GSXR wheel. I don't have pictures yet as I'm in the process of getting the rims painted (silver to match the engine).
                        Rj, why did you use 400 gauges? the stock gs speedo will work just fine since you have to use the gixxer speedo drive. You would only run into a speedo error if you used the gs drive which you can't
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Well I wasn't sure if the GS speedo would work with the gixxer speedo drive and I couldn't find a good way to mount the old gauge pod to find out. I came a cross the Bandit gauges on eBay for cheap and I knew the speedo was meant to work with a 17" front wheel. I was able to mount the new gauges because the mount bracket slipped under the top triple clamp cleanly and placed the gauges in a perfect position to read them. They really look good. You do lose the oil temp and fuel gauges, but much cleaner than the GS monstrosity and really cool white faced gauges (gotta remember that redline is NOT 12,000rpm!). If I could upload some pics I would but I can't shrink the images down small enough for the website.

Comment

Working...
                          X