paddock stand bobbins mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paddock stand bobbins mounting?

anyone mount some paddock stand bobbins on to their gsx 1100 aluminum swing arm. If so where and how hard was it, are they sturdy? any tips?

i ask this cause i also own a new sport bike and the swing comes with a place to mount the bobbins and i don't really want to buy 2 stands right now, i have a old one the uses pads to lift the swing arm but i don't really like it cause the pads move around on the swing, at least the bobbin one holds everything in place.

-r
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

any one? anyone?
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x

Comment

what do you guys think of this idea? put the axle in a lath, drill and tap the center of the axles to except bobbins, should only need a m6 bolt so the hole shouldn't be to big. on a side note why not just drill out the entire center of the axle to lighten it for laughs, it shouldn't effect strength if i don't go more then 6mm.

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

well, the problem with drilling and tapping the axle is that you can't use the stand to remove the rear wheel.

I installed rear stand bobbins on my GS1000 race bike. They were designed for a Yamaha R6, but they are all basically the same.

I just drilled thru the swingarm ahead of the axle, where the axle adjuster plate is still located. Drilled and tapped it for a 6mm bolt and installed the bobbins.

Pics attached. They work great.

Tracy

Comment

awsome you rock, would you mind taking a couple more pics, just want to get a real good idea how you did it.

thanks,
          -ryan
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

that or just take a few pieces of ~10mm rod, drill and tap, then have it welded (tig) to the swingarm, the screw them into that. that's how all (I think) modern sportbikes come from the factory.

Comment

Working...
            X