Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 Katana 1100 carbs on 1100e an improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Katana 1100 carbs on 1100e an improvement?

Is this an improvement over stock? I believe they're 34mm flatslides. I'm a carb newbie, so any advice would be appreciated. I've searched the forum and the general consensus seems to be the RS36 mikuni's ($$) or 36mm GSXR carbs are the recommended setups. Couldn't find anything on whether the 34's are worth the effort. TIA..

The 1990 GSX1100SL ran exactly the same carbs as the 82/83/84 Katana 1100's did. Jetting was different as they were a Japan only model & were restricted to 100hp.

Dink

Comment

So what does that mean? Yes it's an improvement over my 1980 GS1100e carbs, or no? Here's a pic of the carbs in question (and they came from the states, so not sure about the "only in Japan" comment...?

Comment

So you mean a 1990 GSX1100F ; one of them stupid "sticker bikes", hence you mean 34mm semi-flatslide CV's. Yes they will be an improvement, throttle response mostly.
        A Katana has a GS 16v motor, anything without a GS motor is NOT a Katana. Hence my mis-understanding your original question.

Dink

Comment

Ok, thanks for the carb info. I'll be sure to tell Suzuki they only got the name right once, and have been using it incorrectly for years now....and Ford re: Mustang, and Pontiac re: GTO, etc etc etc... :-D

Comment

The real problem being "Marketing" a 1990 Katana 1100 in the US & Canada is a GSX1100f anywhere else in the world!!! In fact ALL the "new" North America sticker bikes are GSX-F's elsewhere.
            So the problem is more to do with marketing beliefs, obviously Suzuki north America thinks you are all idiots and wont buy anything you dont recognise.
            Sadly this seems to have caught on in Hamamatsu as well, as Suzuki wont produce anything most people want to buy either.

Dink

Comment

i know what you mean - my favourite rant is that the North American marketing geniuses think we all want letters and numbers on our cars - gs350, is350, x5, e350, ml350, i35, fx35, G35, M35, etc. ad nauseum.... how unique...NOT!

Comment

How about the seven years we have been begging for a "less faired" Busa.
                Or even a "naked" one, so what do we get? the Transformer styled B-King!! FFS.

Dink

Comment

To that end, lets hope they come through with the Stratosphere 6...an added bonus for you Dink, will be the (dare I say it?) Katanaesque styling\\/ ..

Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                    i know what you mean - my favourite rant is that the North American marketing geniuses think we all want letters and numbers on our cars - gs350, is350, x5, e350, ml350, i35, fx35, G35, M35, etc. ad nauseum.... how unique...NOT!

Don't get me started on that. Suzuki turned a beautifully named bike "Intruder" into the more PC "S90". Sounds like a damn Beemer brand now.

Intruder 1400 - response: ooh.....

S90 (don't give a damn about "boulevard", it's not asphalt for pete's sake) - response: huh?

Honda is still calling the Shadow a Shadow and selling thousands. The year Suzuki changed to S90 etc. I walked into a dealership and asked to see the Intruder 1400's. I promptly got a tongue-lashing that they are no longer called Intruders, and how the new classification system simplifies telling the different models apart. I looked the yuppie Docker-wearing loser right in the eye, told him "F*** you", got on my SHADOW, and left.

Comment

Working...
                    X