Fork Question - interchangable Racetech parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Question - interchangable Racetech parts

Racetech (no surprise) doesn't list any parts available for 700/750 E/ES bikes, of course due to their limited US production.

However, they list springs and emulators for the '82 1100E. Both bikes have 37mm forks, and look like the same units. Does anyone know if the springs and emulators from the 1100 would work for the 750? If not, are the 1100 legs a bolt-on replacement (including steering stops and length)?

Additionally, does anyone know the wheel width and rotor diameter for both front and rear wheels on the 1100? I'm looking at swapping wheels for a modest increase in tire width, and possibly forks if the Racetech parts aren't interchangeable.

I want to upgrade, but don't want the hassle or aesthetic impact of going with newer forks, wheels, and brakes. I want to keep the era-correct look.

Thanks,

-Q!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM. Reason: Edited for clarification

After looking closer, there are some minor changes between the units - the anti-dive unit is slightly different, and the 1100 had preload caps, but the internals are nearly identical.....

Anyone have some experience with both bikes?

Comment

Whad'ya think, guys?

I can cross-reference the springs, but at ~$180.00, not sure if I want to bite the bullet to be the guinea pig here.....

Gotta be somebody who knows? [-o<

Comment

Forget the Racetech springs and go for Progressive ones. They're around $80 and can ge gotten from several different sources. As far as the wheel width of the 1100 you're looking at 2" front, 2.5" rear (as I recall). Probably narrower than what you've got now. As far as fork length, the 1100 came with a 19" front wheel. I think your bike has a 16" and a frame that may place the steering head lower than the 1100 which may put things out of whack if you use the 1100 forks. I would recommend switching to a Katana front end (circa 1989 or so). You get a traditional looking front end with more modern internal suspension components, wheels that can handle radial tires, and better brakes. As a bonus if you want to upgrade the suspension there are many more aftermarket choices available to you than your current bike.

Comment

Checkout oldschoolGS. He has an '83 750ES with the same mod I recommended.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, RJ!

The Racetech springs are far superior to the Progressive springs, and I'm trying to do everything I can to retain the stock look, anti-dive and all.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and try the parts, eh?

I'll call Racetech and check the lenght on the springs. If I do try out the emulators, I'll let everyone know if they work.

-Q!
            Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Joe Nardy did cartridge emulators on his 1100.

The anti dive is different bewteen the 2 ? , between the 1100 and 750?
              hmmmmmm that seems odd, as both bikes have the same size fork tubes and weigh close to the same, not exact but close.

I'd shoot Joe a PM or email and ask him his thoughts, which I know are good.
              Can't find his thread on the forks.......
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The anti dive does not matter....the extra holes you have to drill in the damper rods of each fork leg serve as bypasses that deactivate the anti dive units. You can leave them in place, they just won't function. You will NOT be sorry you bought the racetech emulators and springs.

I had a machinist buddy do the drilling an deburring of the damper rods....I would reccomend you get a machinist to do the work, so they can clean up the internal threads and such after the drilling is complete...
                Last edited by Cassius086; 11-09-2006, 06:32 PM.
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Thanks!!!

I'm likely going to install block-off plates on the anti-dive units anyways, but leave them in place for aesthetics.

-Q!

Comment

I always hated the look of the anti-dive units. Installing the 600 katana front-end on mine was the best thing I've ever done to it in the 22+ years I've owned it. Radial tires ROCK.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                      Joe Nardy did cartridge emulators on his 1100.

The anti dive is different bewteen the 2 ? , between the 1100 and 750?
                      hmmmmmm that seems odd, as both bikes have the same size fork tubes and weigh close to the same, not exact but close.

I'd shoot Joe a PM or email and ask him his thoughts, which I know are good.
                      Can't find his thread on the forks.......
                      Yes, I did install the cartridge emulators on my '83. Racetech's website shows the wrong part number for the '82 GS1100. The number the site shows is FEGV-S3801. the '38' in the part number represents the diameter of the emulator. It's pretty hard to fit a 38mm disc into a 36mm O.D. tube. the correct part number is FEGV-S3301. Search for an 87-93 Kawasaki EX500. It uses a 36mm KYB fork like the GS.

The cartridge emulators work well with the Progressive springs I have but Race Tech says they work much better with their straight rate springs. I disabled my anti-dive years ago. There is much less dive with the cartridge emulators and the compliance is better than stock too. Here's a link to an article by Paul Thede, the inventor of the cartridge emulators, explaining the difference between damper rod and cartridge forks:

Let me know if I can be of further assistance,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

This was not a bad front end setup 20 years ago on my '83 GS750ED:
                        -Telefix brace
                        -Russell lines
                        -Lockhart preload adjusters
                        -15wt oil
                        -Anti-dive blocked off
                        -Daytona clip-ons
                        -ME33 comp K front tire

Much better modern setup (short of using GSXR) and still somewhat period
                        1993 Katana 750 front end:
                        -41mm tubes with Race Tech springs
                        -17x3.0 front with a 110/70 Pilot Power radial
                        -floating discs with dual piston calipers and Nissin master cylinder
                        -Goodrich lines and HH pads
                        -LSL riser clip-ons (not pictured)
                        -Aftermarket fork brace

The limitations of the original 16in front wheel would IMHO negate any investment into the stock components. Radials are the way to go, this requires losing the 16in front.

Good Luck, Ed.
                        1983 GS750ED
                        2005 GSF1200SZ
                        1992 Duc 900SS

Comment

Thanks, Ed.

I appreciate the info, and dig what you've done to your 750.

I've got other bikes, so am not trying to make the 750 a performance machine - just trying to get th best out of what I've got.

I've got Telefix 4-way clipons, a Daytona fork brace, LP preload adjusters, and am running 15 wt. oil. I'm planning to upgrade the springs, but have heard nothing but good things about the .9 or 1.0 single-rate springs from Racetech, not to mention their emulators (especially in comparison with the Progressive springs, which I do run in my VFR). I'd like to keep the bike looking as close to stock as possible.

I don't mind the limited tire selection - If I need a knee-scraping experience, I can jump on the VFR.

I've got a spare motor I might do a mild bit of tweaking on, but am not trying to build the motor to where it overpowers the chassis, suspension, or brakes. I'm going to have a set of stainless lines made, and am searching for better brake pads, but that's about it. If I can find an 1100 or 1150 rear wheel for a 140 or 150 rear tire, I might go that route, but have no plans to swap the swingarm, forks, or put more modern wheels and brakes on it - I like her the way she looks now, and she does a helluva job doing what she was built for.

I'm still looking for a rear shock, but just may bite the bullet and actually get that Ohlins or a Fournales unit - or see if Lindeman can rebuild the stocker.

Again, thanks all for the input - especially about the Racetech part numbers. With that info, it seems like they'll actually work. I'll try to get ahold of Racetech tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Cheers,

-Q!

(Ed - is that a Tiller in the background? Can't say that I've ver seen a blue one.)

Comment

Very good point and great eye, background bike is a 2001 TL1000S. Fun bike, except for the few times it tried to kill me. Had it two years but its now gone and replaced with this:

I have the full Race Tech setup -springs and gold valves- up front in the Bandit, very happy with the results.

I do have a 3.5 inch GS1150 rear complete with rotor and cush drive that needs a new home. I was planning to ebay it soon. If you are interested I will post a coulpe of photos.

Sad to say, I have lost all interest in the '83 750, it sits half finished and I am uncertain if I will continue with it or just part it out. I already have a built, large bore inline 4 in the '05 bandit and I have fell in love with my 900SS. I would love to have another Ducati, specifically the '07 Sport Classic 1000, but something has got to give.

If you are interested in any 750 parts let me know. I aslo have a brand new set of RS34's that I planned to mount, they are still unopened in the box.

Good luck, Ed.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2006, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Nice Bandit, Ed!

You have PM....

Comment

Working...
                              X