No announcement yet.

Fork Question - interchangable Racetech parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Ed - sent you a PM about that wheel but haven't heard back. You online today?

Comment

Been out of town working, I sent PM and will post a photo in the classified section.

BTW, been on the West Coast, Long Beach, specifically. Some of the best weather in the country lately.

Thanks, Ed.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2006, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I will be out of town for a few days so if I do not get back to anyone immediately don't fret. Thanks, Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS View Post
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=101417

I will be out of town for a few days so if I do not get back to anyone immediately don't fret. Thanks, Ed.

Dibs! I replied to your classified ad.

Thanks,

-Q!

Comment

racetech vs progressive

The last bike I put progressive springs in, they were no improvement over stock. I gave them away and went with race-tech..
            Although I retained the "stock look" I think I would have been better off just replacing the front end. It was pretty expensive by the time I did all of the mods.

Unless you mod the fork lowers, as suggested by race-tech, and the professional racers I talked to about it, you probably won't be as happy as with a new front end. I have used progressive springs on every bike I've had, since 1980. Last time I went with the race-tech springs, did the fork mods, used 10weight race oil, removed the air valves and went with preload spacers suggested by race-tech, after I gave them the bikes weight and my weight.
            I also used the race-tech cartridge emulators. It improved the cornering enough to allow me to drag the pegs on my old 1985 zl900. Without being able to use radial tires, due to the old stock front end, it wasn't as good as I hoped. Before that, it was scary in the corners!
            Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2006, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, GSG.

I put Progressive springs in my VFR, but did it so soon after I bought it that I didn't have a frame of reference for the difference.

I've heard from many sources I trust that single rate springs are far better (Racetech's) than progresive rate springs for sport riding.

This old GS has been great in the hills with the stock units. The old shock is getting worse, causing me to grind belly fairing and header under hard cornering, and the front end can get harsh over ripples or consecutive bumps cornering at high-speed as well. Typical damping-rod fork complaints, it seems.

There's a performance suspension shop in town that does outstanding work. Through various friends, I can get really good rates - so I'm going to have them drill out the rod and set the forks up for me. I'll probably just go with the springs first, as I need a shock, too - and am on a budget like everyone else. Once it's all back together, I'll get the emulators and have the forks finished ast time and money permits...

I'll let you guys know what I find - I've got a lot of miles on this old girl, plus a bike with substantially newer technology to compare it against.

Thanks again for all the tips - and have a happy Thanksgiving!

-Q!

Comment

Working...
              X