No announcement yet.

Project Beast GS1000 Your input, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Bruce so figure what, 15 possibly 20 gauges to make enough profit to pay off the carbs? Maybe more? Glad I ain't your old lady. Actually I'm glad I ain't you. LOL Actually Bill Parcells may hire your wife after he sees how far over the Sierra's she kicks you. :shock: Well we all have those "secret" stashes hidden here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by RobGS850L View Post
      Ok Bruce so figure what, 15 possibly 20 gauges to make enough profit to pay off the carbs? Maybe more? Glad I ain't your old lady. Actually I'm glad I ain't you. LOL Actually Bill Parcells may hire your wife after he sees how far over the Sierra's she kicks you. :shock: Well we all have those "secret" stashes hidden here and there.
      My secret stash account is dwindling fast! Only a few hundred left in it, and that has to go to the powdercoater! I had better quit buying and start building this thing so it's ready for the second annual Western States gig!

I probably should budget a round trip plane ticket for Keith to come up and help me tune those new carbs! I think I'll need a wheelie bar, too!
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

bump bump bumpity bump.just wanting to hear how the project is going.cant wait to see this thing at the second annual western states gettogether in july.hey bruce i get out your way once in a while if you need any help just give me a call.would love to help if i can.

Comment

Originally posted by fatkid89704 View Post
          bump bump bumpity bump.just wanting to hear how the project is going.cant wait to see this thing at the second annual western states gettogether in july.hey bruce i get out your way once in a while if you need any help just give me a call.would love to help if i can.
          As you know, I have two engines to get out of frames. I'll be calling you!
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Just a little input that may help:

My 7/11 makes 110 rear wheel hp with the following mods:

*Wiseco 1085
            *Mildly gas flowed, large port head
            *Mikuni RS36 flatslides
            *K&N filters
            *Kent stage 1 cams
            *Eagle 4-1 pipe
            *Welded crank (a must)
            *Dyna S ignition and coils
            *Oil cooler with thermostat

*Stock clutch
            *Stock valves
            *Stock gearbox

The good news is that it pulls well everywhere, no flat spots, then takes off at 5000 and above and pulls hard way past the redline.
            The bike was roadtested by Classic Mechanics magazine. The journalist gave it a very good writeup.
            The clutch is ok as long as you don't abuse it. Never had any gearbox issues.
            My (unbraced) frame is a 750 frame which is less strong than the 1000 frame, yet I don't have any handling issues. The cahnge to radial tyres and bigger diameter forks helped hugely.
            The gsxr brakes are essential!
            Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by brit7.11 View Post
              Just a little input that may help:

My 7/11 makes 110 rear wheel hp with the following mods:

*Wiseco 1085
              *Mildly gas flowed, large port head
              *Mikuni RS36 flatslides
              *K&N filters
              *Kent stage 1 cams
              *Eagle 4-1 pipe
              *Welded crank (a must)
              *Dyna S ignition and coils
              *Oil cooler with thermostat

*Stock clutch
              *Stock valves
              *Stock gearbox

The good news is that it pulls well everywhere, no flat spots, then takes off at 5000 and above and pulls hard way past the redline.
              Good to hear. My mods will be very similar:
              1085 kit
              Ported intake and exhaust
              VM29 smoothbores
              K&N's
              Aftermarket cams (haven't decided which ones yet)
              Jardine pipe
              Welded crank
              Dyna ignition and coils
              Oil cooler
              Welded clutch basket

I haven't decided if I will do any mods on the suspension, except for the obvious.

Very nice bike you have there!
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I just got the bored cylinders and head yesterday. Everything looks great! Brand new pistons The exhaust and intake ports are silky smooth. And nice fresh valves installed. The valves look like they are stainless, but I can't tell for sure. The guy I bought this stuff from also threw in a bunch of other gaskets... base, head, clutch, pan, ignition, etc. I got a great deal!
                I must say I am equally impressed regarding the cylinders and head I just took off the stock engine. There is not ONE mark on the cylinder walls... not one! They look brand new. And the cams have no wear marks on them. Is this the norm for an engine with supposedly 38K on it? I can't believe the condition of the parts.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Some more questions. Some say the VM29's are best suited for a stock engine. With the mods I will have, will the 29's be OK, or should I go with some 33's? I could always put the VM29's I bought on the Skunk.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    Some more questions. Some say the VM29's are best suited for a stock engine. With the mods I will have, will the 29's be OK, or should I go with some 33's? I could always put the VM29's I bought on the Skunk.
                    I would stick with the 29's. How big are the head ports where the boots bolt on. On my 79 GS1000 head they are 28mm and I went with some kawi pumper 28mm carbs. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                      I would stick with the 29's. How big are the head ports where the boots bolt on. On my 79 GS1000 head they are 28mm and I went with some kawi pumper 28mm carbs. Dan
                      The 29's will swap right over to the stock boots. So it's an easy swap. I think the 33's need to be adapted.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

The 29's will swap right over to the stock boots. So it's an easy swap. I think the 33's need to be adapted.
                        The reason I ask about the port size is to take advantage of the flow capabilty of a set of 33's you need a fare amount of cam and ports will need to be in the 33mm range. Low end will take a hit. Dan

Comment

I received the VM29's today. They look to be in great shape! But I thought VM29's had the pilot adjustment screws in them. These look to be plugged. Is that right?
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I received the VM29's today. They look to be in great shape! But I thought VM29's had the pilot adjustment screws in them. These look to be plugged. Is that right?
                            look inside the throat if there is only one progression port then they are like the kz1000 carbs. Not the end of the world but I like the two screw setup the best for a street engine (more flexibility).

Comment

Bruce, did you get a small port (78-79) head or a big port (newer w/cv carb) head ??.... Have you measured the diameter of the valves??....Have you checked to see what slides are in the 29's???....The smoothbore carbs came with different parts in them (slides, air jets and maybe needle jets) depending on whether they were for a Kaw or Suzuki, at least the 33's did.......BadBillyB

Comment

As to which cams to run in your motor.... .400" lift is the maximum you can run safely without going to the "shim under" buckets. You would also have to buy new valve retainers to go with these.....I would recommend looking for something in the .370" to .390" range as this will retain reliability and work nicely with the 29's......Web-Cam, Andrews Products, and Cam-Motion all make cams for these motors. I am partial to the Webs but I have run all 3 brands in my motors over the years...I built the original "beast" over 20 years ago and it was what catapulted me into organized drag racing......BadBillyB

Comment

Working...
                                X