Project Beast GS1000 Your input, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Beast GS1000 Your input, please

It's about time to start on the winter project, the future Beast. I just saved a bunch of time and money acquiring these items:

I wanted some opinions on what to do about the cams, carbs, and crank. I want the bike to be street-able (not a drag bike), but beastly just the same.

Any recommendations on the cams?

I need to weld the crank. Any suggestions there? The guy I bought this stuff from said I could get the crank welded for 75 bucks?

And the carbs. I have been looking for some VM29's, but they are scarce and expensive. Should I just bite the bullet and get them? I have been told that some other carbs that would work well would be the 29 keihin CR smoothbores, and that maybe 31 keihin CR's or even 33 mikuni smoothbores would work. I have a set of stock VM26's and a set of VM28's with accelerator pump from a KZ1000.

So if this were your motor, how would you set it up? Thanks for your input.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Bruce. How many times do I have to tell you don't do it? Throw all that bike junk in the back of the pickup and drop it off at my place. Your just throwing money away. Come on pal I wouldn't steer you wrong, now would I?

Comment

You inspired me Rob! After seeing all the fun stuff you did to your bike, I want to play, too!
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I wanna help!

Uh...whats welding the crank mean?

Comment

Renobruce-

How are you gonna keep the front wheel on the ground?

There must be some GS1000 hotrod energy floating around in the universe, because I just sent an email to APE today asking how much it would cost hop up my GS1000 engine with the stuff below. (BigJay - if you're reading this, I hope you don't mind me posting APE's prices for these mods)

Like you, I want a streetable GS1000 hotrod. One of the really knowledgeable guys on oldskoolsuzuki.info says that you can expect to see between 122-128 HP on pump gas, and 135-140 HP on race gas with the engine mods below. :shock: Considering the stock GS1000 engine makes 90 HP, that's a significant increase.

My dream GS1000 engine would have all this (the engine mod prices are from APE):

*1085 cc overbore job w/ new Wiseco pistons- $xxx- you already have this.
          *oversized valves/cams installed- $250 on all stainless valves, $250 labor, cams $450
          *polished/ported cylinder head- $xxx- you already have this
          *welding the crank so it won't twist up under load - $90
          *transmission undercut to keep all that extra torque from slipping the tranny out of gear under load - $300

Other stuff:
          *stage 3 carb kit - about $100
          * Dyna S electronic ignition - about $350
          * quality 4 into 1 pipe - depends.
          * K&N pod filters

To get all that power to the ground, you'd probably want to do the radial tire conversion in the front and back of the bike (GSXR front end, 160 radial rear with new brake in the rear) because I would imagine 122-128 HP would spin up and spit out a stock 130 rear bias ply in a hurry.

You may also want to brace your frame per the info on oldskoolsuzuki as well to keep it from flexing under the additional power, especially in corners.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2006, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Bruce I know cams, how much bottom end are you willing to sacrifice for more top end? I chose a profile for my engine that adds 1.25mm more lift and only 5 degrees more duration than the stock cam(ideal street profile). You want something that gives you more top without killing the bottom. I can help!!
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
              Bruce I know cams, how much bottom end are you willing to sacrifice for more top end? I chose a profile for my engine that adds 1.25mm more lift and only 5 degrees more duration than the stock cam(ideal street profile). You want something that gives you more top without killing the bottom. I can help!!
              Dan
              That sounds like what I want. Fill me in, brother! Are these something you bought?
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Bruce I am a webcam dealer you can get it from me or go straight to web for it. Talk to debbie at web mention my name and they can get it done. the grind number is 151i. If you get it from me I might be able to squeeze a small discount in. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                  Bruce I am a webcam dealer you can get it from me or go straight to web for it. Talk to debbie at web mention my name and they can get it done. the grind number is 151i. If you get it from me I might be able to squeeze a small discount in. Dan
                  Thanks, Dan! I'll get with you when I'm ready. I've blown my wad for a little while :shock: I'm just now getting the bike stripped down. I made a deal with a shop where I just installed a media blast booth next to their powder coat bake oven. I'm getting the frame and misc. parts blasted and powder coated for $200 \\/ I'm having the parts done in either "smoked chrome" or "almost chrome" (two new powder coat colors) and then a clear powder coat on top of that! That should look good with the gloss black engine!
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

You got a great deal on that cylinder and piston kit. I was watching it closely hoping nobody would bid on it (yeah right) congrats. I'd be curious to know how many people on this list have outbid me at various times. I gues I should stop being sucha cheapskate. Have fun with your new project.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                      You got a great deal on that cylinder and piston kit. I was watching it closely hoping nobody would bid on it (yeah right) congrats. I'd be curious to know how many people on this list have outbid me at various times. I gues I should stop being sucha cheapskate. Have fun with your new project.
                      Thanks

I was actually willing to go a bit higher, but sniped it up at the last second for a good price. It should be a fun project! I will be asking for lots of help, I'm sure.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I looked at the Web Camshafts website and couldn't find that grind number. I wonder if it's a special "Skunk" only grind. Boohoohahaha. Blah blah.
                        I would lean in the direction of a street strip cam setup and not a more racey type on the street.
                        My brother in law was also looking at the parts you got and says he should have tried for them. I told him "You snooze you lose".
                        I personally don't think you'll have to do all the extra high performance mods to the bike as far as undercutting the tranny or frame mods. It sounds cool to do those things but I don't think you really need to. Your 1150 puts out some ponies and it doesn't have those mods. If the front tire wants to lift lean forward. If the rear tire starts smokin' just let me enjoy the show.:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by RobGS850L View Post
                          I personally don't think you'll have to do all the extra high performance mods to the bike as far as undercutting the tranny or frame mods. It sounds cool to do those things but I don't think you really need to. Your 1150 puts out some ponies and it doesn't have those mods.
                          Depends on how hard you intend on riding the bike. If it's a street-only bike, then bracing the frame and undercutting the tranny are probably unnecessary.

The 1085 kit with the flowed/ported head, electronic ignition, stage 3 carb kit, pods, and a 4 into 1 should make 10 to 12 HP over stock.

If the bike will see any roadracing track duty or other spirited riding, then bracing the frame and doing the tranny work might be a good idea. I've had my GS1000 slip out of gear several times between 7000-8500 RPM when accelerating hard. The RPMs then shoot to the ceiling till the rev limiter between your ears recognizes what happened and lets off the throttle. That's scary because of the damage overrevving the engine can cause. With the extra HP and torque you'll be making, you might find this to be the case for you too. The tranny undercut would prevent this. The weave from a spindly frame flexing while leaned over in a corner at high speed is downright scary. Bracing the frame would help prevent this.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2006, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I agree all the way as far as what the added mods do for keeping a good ride together. A tranny with gears that are beginning to round off it's a real good idea to undercut unless you desire to leave souvenirs on the street. I'm just being a bit conservative I guess. I've just seen alot of folks overdo it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobGS850L View Post
                              I looked at the Web Camshafts website and couldn't find that grind number. I wonder if it's a special "Skunk" only grind. Boohoohahaha. Blah blah. :shock:
                              You are right, I wanted a cam that kept the duration close to stock but had more lift. There standard offering started at 16 degrees more duration than the stock cam which was more than I wanted for my app. If you look closer you will see that grind # is offered for the ZX9 Ninja. Web is very good about satisfying individual needs and if you come up with a bad idea they will tell you. Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X