Project Beast GS1000 Your input, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
    Bruce, did you get a small port (78-79) head or a big port (newer w/cv carb) head ??.... Have you measured the diameter of the valves??....Have you checked to see what slides are in the 29's???....The smoothbore carbs came with different parts in them (slides, air jets and maybe needle jets) depending on whether they were for a Kaw or Suzuki, at least the 33's did.......BadBillyB
    The head is from a '78. With the porting, the intake side is about .75mm larger than stock. The valves are 38mm intake and 32mm exhaust. The slides are 1.5, the needle is 50L3, 120 mains, and the pilot looks like 52 or 25? Hard to tell, they need cleaning. The slides are in excellent condition... no wear marks. I didn't get the air screws out yet.

I didn't know the 29's came with or without pilot adjustment screws. The little hole is there where the pointed tip usually seats, but they are plugged, and I don't see where there were threads in the hole.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I saw these on ebay. Dibs if they are any good. Does anyone know what these might be? Would they be a good choice?

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        I saw these on ebay. Dibs if they are any good. Does anyone know what these might be? Would they be a good choice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3169117&rd=1,1
        What They might be ????? who knows not enough info to tell. Too risky unless you get them cheap. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
          What They might be ?????
          I didn't know if those numbers he gave meant anything to you cam gurus.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

What They might be ????? who knows not enough info to tell. Too risky unless you get them cheap. Dan
            they are mega-cycle cams. Lift: 380. duration @ .040": 261 deg. Lobe centers: 107.5/108.5. Intake/exhaust open/close: 23/58 59/22.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3169117&rd=1,1
              Maybe the guy doesn't know the grind number is on the very end of the cam. Those may be numbers off the casting....Seems he does not know what he has. E-mail him and ask him to read the numbers/letters off the very end.....If you dont get these, I would recommend the Web-Cam's .....I like to run a little more lift on the intake cam with less lift on the exhaust. My "beast" motor had Andrews Products 4S intake with thew 3S exhaust....Heres a link http://www.andrews-products.com/PDF_files/Suzuki-2V.pdf
              For the set-up you have, I would recommend the Web-Cam .395" intake with the .365" exhaust .....Fresh valve springs will be all you need.....BadBillyB

Comment

they are mega-cycle cams. Lift: 380. duration @ .040": 261 deg. Lobe centers: 107.5/108.5. Intake/exhaust open/close: 23/58 59/22.
                Judging by those numbers that is a fare amount of cam, you will lose some low end over the stock cam. The web 151i has .368 lift, 261@ .020 and 235@ .050. I don't have the .040 #'s but it would be about 240. The stock cam is 230@ .050 Dan

Comment

Judging by those numbers that is a fare amount of cam, you will lose some low end over the stock cam. The web 151i has .368 lift, 261@ .020 and 235@ .050. I don't have the .040 #'s but it would be about 240. The stock cam is 230@ .050 Dan
                  Thanks for your reply, Dan. I'm all for saving some money, but I think I'll hold out and get your cams. I want it right.... reliable and streetable, but able to take advantage of the porting, overbore, and carbs.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Ape sells a clutch hub kit with heavy duty backing plate, heavy duty springs, and heavy duty rivets for 129.00. But they only show listings for the GS1100 and 1150. Does anyone know if there is a kit made for the GS1000? I wanted to beef up the clutch while I'm at it.

The crank is out for welding now. I'm just about ready to put this thing back together!
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Have you considered PMing Big Jay and asking, he is the Boss of APE so he should know.

Dink

Comment

Ape sells a clutch hub kit with heavy duty backing plate, heavy duty springs, and heavy duty rivets for 129.00. But they only show listings for the GS1100 and 1150. Does anyone know if there is a kit made for the GS1000? I wanted to beef up the clutch while I'm at it.

The crank is out for welding now. I'm just about ready to put this thing back together!
                        I just called APE and posed the question. Ask for Pat at APE. He'll hook you up on the clutch hub kit for the GS1000. They also offer the clutch hub assembly and clutch basket for the GS1000 as a special order for the same price as listed on their website for the 1100/1150.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2007, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I just got word from the guy welding my crank that it is twisted! :shock: About 15 degrees, he says. Damn! Good thing I have a complete spare 1000 engine. I was hoping I could keep it complete, but, oh well. Time to bust open another engine.

I had him look at the head that I bought to make sure all the work was done correctly. He said the porting job is excellent. And he said the valve job is real nice.... a 3 angle grind, new springs (stock ones) and new seals. I am going to have him check the bore work, too. I'd rather pay him a few bucks to check everything out than have to tear my engine apart down the road.... I only want to do this once!!

This guy doing this work is a real trip. Steve (fatkid89704) turned me on to him. He lives about a mile away from me. He's an old ex drag/road racer/engine builder. He's been in a few bike accidents, and he's all busted up. I think he has arthritis in every joint in his body. But boy, he sure knows his old school bikes. He still builds Kawasakis mostly. You should see this custom bike he is building... It's amazing! He has built the frame, exhaust, and controls from scratch. His aluminum fabricating and welding is unbelievable! He is applying for patents for some of his custom mods. I'll shoot some pics of some of his stuff. I think I trust this guy.

He said he would also slot and degree my cams and help set up the engine once it's back together for $175.00. the crank welding he is doing for $25.00. He checked the head and will check the overbore job for free. Pretty good, eh?
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                              I just called APE and posed the question. Ask for Pat at APE. He'll hook you up on the clutch hub kit for the GS1000. They also offer the clutch hub assembly and clutch basket for the GS1000 as a special order for the same price as listed on their website for the 1100/1150.
                              Ask them if this clutch basket will accept the same number of stock plates and will it fit without any other mods. Does it accept 1000 2V plates or does it use 11004V plates, they are different....BadBillyB

Comment

hey bruce did you get that motor back together yet?man you sure are slow.if you need any help getting that other motor apart just let me know and ill come up and help for a while.talk to you later.by the way it is supposed to 60 up here on monday.wanna do a lap around the lake?talk to you later.
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X