No announcement yet.

GS(X)1100E turbo EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The schedule seems to slip big time. I have been a way too busy with another building project and I have done almost nothing for the bike during last month.

It's have been very frustrating to see summer passing by while the bike sits in the garage. To help this I did a "clever" move and got another bike.

Officially I bought it for my missus but fortunately I can borrow it "sometimes" Quite nice ride but I guess that GSX will feel especially fast when I get it back on the road.
    Arttu
    GS1100E EFI turbo
    Project thread

Comment

Actually I have done something with the GSX too. Not much, but here are few pictures.

Front mudguard got new paint.

I discarded plans to control the VNT vanes electronically, for a while. I mounted old pressure actuator back. It just needed new location since the turbo is changed. Hope that it won't catch the ground.

Gauge cluster layout is ready.

Wiring harness under construction...
      Arttu
      GS1100E EFI turbo
      Project thread

Comment

i thnk you need to turbo that 650 as well, that would be very intresting.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

All I gotta say about the work you have done... Wow. :shock:
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T
          http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
            i thnk you need to turbo that 650 as well, that would be very intresting.
            Yep, that would be interesting. Unfortunately it would be practically impossible to get approved around here. All the -91 and later vehicles needs extended emission check to get any major engine modification (like turbocharging) approved. This emission check costs about $2000. Older bikes like my GSX needs only a dyno print which shows that the power isn't increased more than 20%
            Arttu
            GS1100E EFI turbo
            Project thread

Comment

koso speedo

Nice bike

The koso speedo. Is it hard to wire in the bike. Does it come with everything you need to hook it to the bike. Im trying to get some info on the koso. I looking to put it on my bike that is becoming a streetfighter. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

The Koso speedo is quite simple to wire, even if you are going to connect it to bikes original wiring harness. (I'm building a new harness from a scratch.) It comes with everything you need. There is universal mounting bracket, temp sensors, speed sensor with mounting brackets, etc. Only additional thing you may need is some kind adapter for temp sensor, depending on where you are going to mount it. Koso temp sensor goes directly on the place of the original oil temp sensor on GS1100.
                Arttu
                GS1100E EFI turbo
                Project thread

Comment

How easy was it to install the EFI and get it programmed correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
                    How easy was it to install the EFI and get it programmed correctly?
                    Well, of course there was plenty of work and learning but nothing extremely difficult. In my case the hardest part was to find most suitable mechanical parts like throttle bodies, fuel pump etc. Electronics side was easy for me since I was already familiar with these things.

Tuning is a subject of it's own. The beginning can be challenging. You have freshly installed system which you hardly know and the bike barely idles. But when you get used to tuning and learn how the system operates it's pretty easy and fast. At the first time I spend few weeks tuning on the road and then one hour on dyno to finish the tune.
                    Arttu
                    GS1100E EFI turbo
                    Project thread

Comment

So it became this winters project as well... But it will be ready for next summer even if progress continues as slowly as during last few months.

Few pics about what I have done after last post.

New more compact ignition trigger setup.

Fuel lines, pump and filter mounted.
                      Arttu
                      GS1100E EFI turbo
                      Project thread

Comment

Wiring continues.

Is this scribble supposed to be a wiring diagram? How on earth you can do anything based on this kind mess?! Who moron has drawn these? Oops, now I remember, It was me...
                        Arttu
                        GS1100E EFI turbo
                        Project thread

Comment

So when are you planning on starting it up and going for a ride?? 8-)

I have to admit that your project has made me feel like I should skip buying a new bike this spring and just start modifying my '86 550.

Any ideas on how far it can be bored and stroked??

Comment

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
                            So when are you planning on starting it up and going for a ride?? 8-)
                            To start it up, that could happen quite soon. I guess that I would need only couple of good working days to get it ready for start. But it may take some time before I manage to arrange those days.

Test ride? Not before ice and snow melts which will take about five months
                            Arttu
                            GS1100E EFI turbo
                            Project thread

Comment

Finally something to update. First things first: It's alive again!

The project has been almost totally neglected last few months but during two last weeks I have managed to arrange some time for it.

At first I finished the wiring. Or actually almost finished. There's still some connections to make and plenty of work to arrange everything to better order.

Next thing was to install plenum, boost pipes and all pressure signal lines. There was also a small drawback, as usual. Because of new turbo the boost pipes are now in slightly different place and therefore the air filter doesn't fit anymore to its previous place. It seems that I can sort this out by making new mountings and fitting the filter in a bit more awkward angle.

Wires and hoses under progress.

Current status.

Arttu
                              GS1100E EFI turbo
                              Project thread

Comment

Then it was time to try starting. So I filled the tank (yes, the oil was already in the engine ) and turned power on. Result was generous fuel leak between the injectors and the fuel rail. So the fuel rail off, cleaning and lubing for injector o-rings and everything back together. After that things looked much better. Then it was time to try starting again. And it fired up almost right away! Damn it felt great after a year and half tinkering! Idle was crappy since tuning was way off after all the changes but after little tuning it settled nicely. Also the turbo responded with healthy whistle to little throttle twisting.

New brilliant instrument cluster in action.

And small video sample. (Sorry, couldn't resist temptation )
                                Arttu
                                GS1100E EFI turbo
                                Project thread

Comment

Working...
                                X