No announcement yet.

1982 1100E with GSXR Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually the Bandit 400 didn't come with a fuel gauge. It's not that big of a deal since you can use the trip meter as a sort of fuel gauge. I do miss the gear indicator though. The only idiot lights you have with this setup is neutral, high beam, and oil pressure and they are easy to wire up. Bandit 600 gauges up to I think '99 are pretty much identical except for the black faces vs. the white faces of the 400. It looks like Bandit 1200 gauges have an electronic speedo although I can't be sure of that.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get closeup pics of the harness below 97KB to upload. Essentially I routed the wiring harness between the frame and the gas tank, past the middle of the steering stem and over the lower triple clamp into the headlight bucket. The harness does rub against the front edge of the gas tank but only when maneuvering at parking lot speeds or pushing the bike around the garage. I put a piece of black duck tape over the spot in question to protect it. It'll wear before the harness is damaged and I'll replace the tape at that point. Not perfect but workable.

Comment

Yes, my 05 B12 had an electronic speedo. I know, because I had to replace the sending unit after the bike spit the counter-shaft sprocket retainer through the cover and the unit :-D

Thank goodness for warranty, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
        Actually the Bandit 400 didn't come with a fuel gauge. It's not that big of a deal since you can use the trip meter as a sort of fuel gauge. I do miss the gear indicator though. The only idiot lights you have with this setup is neutral, high beam, and oil pressure and they are easy to wire up. Bandit 600 gauges up to I think '99 are pretty much identical except for the black faces vs. the white faces of the 400. It looks like Bandit 1200 gauges have an electronic speedo although I can't be sure of that.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get closeup pics of the harness below 97KB to upload. Essentially I routed the wiring harness between the frame and the gas tank, past the middle of the steering stem and over the lower triple clamp into the headlight bucket. The harness does rub against the front edge of the gas tank but only when maneuvering at parking lot speeds or pushing the bike around the garage. I put a piece of black duck tape over the spot in question to protect it. It'll wear before the harness is damaged and I'll replace the tape at that point. Not perfect but workable.

RJ, thanks for the quick answer. I didn't think to look at the smaller bandits.

I was a litttle worried about the tank rubbing but I think your right that a rubber tube or duct tape over the harness should solve the problem.

Comment

RJ, what year and size Bandit did you get those gauges from??? I've got a lead on some, but didn't want to invest in them if they weren't the same ones on your bike, I just love those!!!!
          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

They are off of a 1991 Bandit 400. I think they made the bike from like '91-'94 but don't quote me on that. Those are the only ones with the white faced gauges. They were an eBay score for like $70 I think.

Comment

Another GS1100 done with tasteful mods.

Duke also modded his in a similar way.
              More suspension than motor, unlike some that heavily mod the motor
              without any suspension work, and wonder why it rides/handles like junk.

Amazing what can be done to these bikes and
              they still retain the classic lines.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I like it a lot and it inspires me to do something similar. What is the front mudguard (fender) off..?
                Cheers B

Comment

1993 GSXR 750 fender.

Comment

Oh yeah BTW on the '83 footpegs, they mount a little differently than the '82's. The '82 swingarm pivot bolt runs through the footpeg mount plates, whereas the '83 setup eliminates that part of the mount. So you'll need a shorter '83 pivot bolt (or lots of washers) to make it work.
                    I bought 83 front and rear foot pegs for my 82 also and I think the issues are more than just the swing arm pivot bolt. It didn't seem like the allen screw mounting bolt locations for the pegs matched the 82 frame either, so I gave up on it. Let me know if any one figures it out completely and has some photos. The 83 hardware is certainly more attractive.

Comment

Awesome job RJ! The V&H looks very 'period correct', but that bike would also look great with a Yosh RS3 (black oval) can or something similar .

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Well that's disappointing to hear regarding the footpegs. I bought a set of '83's for that very same purpose but haven't tried to mount them yet. As for the exhaust I would like to mount a canister style. However, more importantly, I would like to have a setup that eliminates the double decker collector which plays havoc with ground clearance once you switch to 17" rims. I did acquire a GSXR 1000 system that takes care of the ground clearance issue but would need to be modified to fit the GS head as well as allow me to retain the centerstand (I'm not asking too much am I?). Great time to learn how to weld!

Comment

Well that's disappointing to hear regarding the footpegs. I bought a set of '83's for that very same purpose but haven't tried to mount them yet. As for the exhaust I would like to mount a canister style. However, more importantly, I would like to have a setup that eliminates the double decker collector which plays havoc with ground clearance once you switch to 17" rims. I did acquire a GSXR 1000 system that takes care of the ground clearance issue but would need to be modified to fit the GS head as well as allow me to retain the centerstand (I'm not asking too much am I?). Great time to learn how to weld!
                          Is the GSXR header very new and titanium? or is it stainless. If it's titanium it needs to be welded in a bath of argon gas (enclosure). If stainless, you have a chance of welding it economically.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken it's a 2001-03 era exhaust. Judging by the weight of the thing I don't think it's titanium.

Comment

RJ-

I'm running into the same ground clearance issue with my V&H 4 into 1 exhaust system on my GS1000 when I switched over to a 2004 GSXR 1000 front end.

Here's some info, check out post #180 here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=97905&page=18

The solution is to get a 89-92 GSXR 1100 header. It has the correct exhaust port spacing, and will fit most of the dimensions of the bike like a glove. The only modification required is a bit of careful bending as the downpipes are too tall, and the exhaust flanges/collars from your old exhaust may need to be donated to the new header to make up the difference in downpipe diameter. You can then use a canister style muffler.

Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

my compliments indeed

Very nicely done! I am starting a similar project on an 85 700e (in the research stage) and would appreciate any and all tips. Also please see post in technical forum.
                                Did I mention VERY nicely done!

Comment

Working...
                                X