1982 1100E with GSXR Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 1100E with GSXR Mods

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my bike now that it's pretty much finished. This is what I think Suzuki ought to build. Kind of what the Kawasaki ZRX was supposed to be just better looking. They would sell a ton of them. Let me know what you guys think.

Front view. Sorry I can only upload one pic at a time.

Comment

Here's a view of the Bandit gauges. Not a great pic of the faces due to the flash but just to illustrate how much cleaner these clocks look compared to the original monstrosity. Easier to mount on this upper tree as well.

Comment

Looking Great RJ!!

Comment

Very nice!! How do you like the handling with the Gixxer mods?

Comment

Looks super clean, that's pretty close to what I want. Very Cool :-D

Comment

Awesome! I'll tell you, the only thing about that bike that makes it look dated is the tail section. Maybe some custom fiberglass work? If you did that, your bike will look like it is a 2007 retro release.

I'd also suggest a Sargent seat cover. The Griptex pattern of that cover looks like something on the new sportbikes. That alone made my bike look 10 years younger.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

RJ, you have done a brilliant job ;-) its hard to see where the old bike ends and the modifications begin. Its so good it could have rolled out of the Suzuki factory. The best bit for me is the fact that it still looks like the original model (but improved) and if I were you I would not change a thing.

Mark...

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. The bike would not have been possible without a lot of research on this website. I've always loved the looks of the '82-83 1100E and its drivetrain but hated the suspension. If you look at Katman's threads you will see where I got most of my info from (mucho thanks Rob). 80GS1000, I LOVE the improvement in handling. All of that bobbing and weaving I was encountering even after replacing springs and thicker weight fork oil I had assumed was the product of a spindly late '70's early '80's frame. Not so. The Gixxer front end (which I had rebuilt before installing) is awsome even when combined with so-so Progressive rear shocks. Totally transformed the bike. Great brakes, nicely controlled suspension, wow. Jethro, I would agree with you on the seat but since the one I've got is original with NO rips and very comfy I'm keeping it for the duration. The tail section is part of that vintage look so I'm not going to mess with it. Pan, yes that is what I was after. No stripped down streetfighter stuff, just a somewhat modern interpretation of what I always thought was a great looking bike. I took the bike out for the first time after the rebuild just the other day. LOTS of looks from the cookie cutter plastic bike guys. Our GSes are terrific bikes with tons of potential. I've really been inspired by our members which kept me soldiering on when things got tough. I am by no means an expert on motorcycles, so if I can do these type of mods anyone here can. GSes for ever!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                    Here's a view of the Bandit gauges. Not a great pic of the faces due to the flash but just to illustrate how much cleaner these clocks look compared to the original monstrosity. Easier to mount on this upper tree as well.
                    RJ,

bike looks killer dude, I love the gauge pack. much nicer than the stocker. great job.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

PM'ed To RJ, just adding here for someone else to find in the future.

RJ,

I really appreciated all the hard work you have put into your bike and what you have achieved as a result. Simply put you went right down the list of what I want to do with mine. I just never thought of the Bandit gauges. About all I'd do if I were you is mount Progressive 412s on the rear to balance out the chrome on the bike.

I have an '82 as well, in burgundy, and I have been progressing toward what you have achieved. I installed a Corbin Gunfighter seat, RS36 Flat Slides with K & N Pods and a Vance & Hines 4 into 1. I'm also switching out the footpegs to the '83 style and the rear foot peg mounts to the '83 style as well. The bike has Performance Machine Chicane custom wheels with a 3.5 inch wide 18 in front and 4.5 inch wide 17 in the rear.

I installed short stalk (stock '82 to '83 Katana 1000) turn signals all around and an '83 140 mph speedo. I picked up some like new Progressive 412s for $125.00 on Ebay about a week ago. I haven't mounted them yet though. I want the bike to remain as true to its origins as possible while complementing it with the advantages of more modern handling, suspension and braking.

My questions for you are what year and type GSXR front end did you use? What mods were necessary with it? Did the top triple clamp have bar mounts or did you have to have them made? Also what year and size wheels did you use? I was looking at a similar set on Ebay that had been polished to the point of looking like chrome. They were nice, $500.00 nice in fact. I have to wait on those. Did you retain the stock swingarm?

I can't tell from the picture whether you slung the tension bar running to the brakes underneath or how you worked that out. Did the top triple clamp ignition just match the mount to the Bandit gauges that cleanly? Is the tach on the Bandit gauges cable driven or electronic? If it's electronic how did you work that out? I really appreciate your answers and help so that I can build my dream bike in a similar fashion. I love this bike. ~Gene

Comment

Nice job RJ!
                        You have a fine looking ride...

Comment

Gene, the front end that I used is a '95 1100 unit.According to Katman it's the longest of the gixxer USD front ends. In fact it's the same length as the GS forks. You still lose some ground clearance by switching to a 17" wheel. No mods necessary. Even the steering stops line up. If you go with a 750 front end you may have to re-weld the stops. As far as the handlebar goes I utilized the 2 upper handlebar clamps from the GS, bought a second pair of the same clamps so that I have 4 peices altogether. Drill 4 holes into the upper triple clamp, flip 2 of the handlebar clamps upside down, place the handlebar onto the clamps, place the remaining 2 clamps on top of the handlebar, run 4 long bolts through the 4 clamp holes, and you have the bar mounted. The wheels I used are standard 2nd generation GSXR (750 or 1100) units, the rear being 5.5" wide. I'm running a 180 tire in the back and it all fits into the stock swingarm utilizing the GS hub with a 530 sprocket and GS spacers. The rear caliper torque arm was moved underneath to run a Hayabusa caliper with RF900 rotor. These parts are interchangeable with GSXR stuff. The Bandit gauges fit the upper triple clamp really nicely around the ignition switch using the front handlebar mount bolts to grab the gauge mount bracket from underneath. The tach is electronic; one lead wire off of one of the coils and a 12V power source is all it takes to make it work. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Oh yeah BTW on the '83 footpegs, they mount a little differently than the '82's. The '82 swingarm pivot bolt runs through the footpeg mount plates, whereas the '83 setup eliminates that part of the mount. So you'll need a shorter '83 pivot bolt (or lots of washers) to make it work.

Comment

Very nice RJ!!! Guess the street price for Bandit Guages just went up on EBAY.

Have to admit I just checked there and noticed that the Bandit's gauges usually have a fuel meter on a smaller pod in the middle. From a looks stand point I can see why you didn't include it, although the fuel meters sure are nice from a functional stand point, and something I'd miss from the old set up.
                              Are you using any of the other idiot lights in the cluster or just the speedo and tach?

I'm setting my 82 ez up with 96 gsxr1100 forks. Can you (please) show a picture of your wiring loom coming out from under the tank, thru the triple tree and into the head light bucket.

I'm finding that if I try to route the loom thru the appropriate hole in the down tube reinforcement the lower triple pinches it at full left stop.

If I come thru the down tube reinforcement hole and go under the lower triiple it will work, but looks bad. It seems like the best solution is to come out from under tank on the outside of left down tube and go above the lower triple if you can follow all of that? I'm wondering if you've found a better solution?

Keep up the great work.

Comment

Working...
                              X