Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Air Cleaner

Here goes:

Most construction material types are color coded by manufacturer. Is air cleaner foam the same? The UNI foam blank sheet seems to be the exact same color as this product below. Is this a coincidence?

You’re seeing this message because some of your behavior on the site looked a little odd. To continue on through the site, help us verify that you’re a real person.

I haven't tried this yet but am thinking about it. Any reason to be talked out of hot-gluing up a brand new foam filter (at a nice big discount)?

Im sure someone else has tried this before...Thanks

82 gs850 GL

I'm very interested in this as well, so if you do it you have to do a write up [-o< . I don't know if something real high density would be good (may restrict air flow) but I think you are definately on to something here. My bike doesn't have an air filter so I need to get one but would rather make one like you are thinking about doing. Good luck.

Comment

A thought:
      Make absolutely sure the foam and glue you use is IMPERVIOUS to petroleum distillates. Not just "resistant". Last thing you want is a custom air filter disintegrating and getting sucked into your motor.
      That would make me cry.

Comment

sounds like this may require a test involving a small cup of gas and a chunk of the foam first. if I am outside and am not playing with a lighter, the consequences should be less severe than particle chunks into the engine.

I may be putting too much importance in the foam color but we'll see.
        Thank you for choosing Autopia Car Care for all your auto detailing needs. Autopia Car Care is home to the best car wax, car polishes, and detailing supplies available

This foam above looks the same and seems to be made for some nastier cleaners/chemicals.

I had another qustion but will jsut start another thread. Thanks

Comment

Another idea about air filter altogether.... What if you went to wal mart with your airbox and found a filter that fit over the top of the box and then cut out a metal plate that will hold it in place (and of course cut it in a way as to make sure the airflow isn't plugged up). Are there any reasons why I wouldn't be able to do that? Don't mean to detract from your thread but our ultimate goal is cheap air filtration. Just wondering what the rest of you guys think about this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by wrsimmons21 View Post
            Another idea about air filter altogether.... What if you went to wal mart with your airbox and found a filter that fit over the top of the box and then cut out a metal plate that will hold it in place (and of course cut it in a way as to make sure the airflow isn't plugged up). Are there any reasons why I wouldn't be able to do that? Don't mean to detract from your thread but our ultimate goal is cheap air filtration. Just wondering what the rest of you guys think about this idea.

that was my plan as well

Comment

A popular mod on the Suzuki SV's is to remove the top lid on the airbox, dremel off everything but the original "ring" of plastic that screws to the bottom portion and holds the halves together, and use it to secure a sheet of Uni (or similar) filter foam over the airbox, creating one big filtered hole.

Using a K&N or similar in the top of the trimmed airbox would work, and probably work well....

Comment

I dont know much about air filtration....but these people do. They put filters on everything. Just cause a material is more dense may not mean it will filter any better than a thin pourous material.

Maybe they can shed some light on a homemade filter.

Donaldson Company, Inc.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I know there's more up front cost, but I recommend replacing the stock filter with one from K&N. It should far outlast the foam type to make it cheaper in the long run.

Comment

Well, I'm no chemist but tested out the Jo-Ann foam (originally for the seat) by soaking a chunk in a gas-oil mix for 12 hours.

I saw no signs of any type of dissolving/reaction. If the gas eats the foam at all, then it is VERY minimal and leaves no trace/residue. I figured that over a 12 hour overnight period, if the gas DID eat the foam, there wouldnt be much left at all this morning. Im not sure if this is the best way to check but all of the cut edges on the foam were still at 90 degrees.

If I missed something obvious please let me know. In a way, this is bad because the results almost appear positive. I take no responsibility for someone trying out this (could be) stupid idea, haha.

Comment

There is no way of knowing if the foam will flow the same amount of air. Then you may end up having to rejet. If it were me I would just get a stock replacement from bikebandit or local dealer. I don't know which bike you have but for a 1000 the filter is $24 I believe.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Hi there TonyDa..............................how did you make out with your home made filter project?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDa View Post
                          Well, I'm no chemist but tested out the Jo-Ann foam (originally for the seat) by soaking a chunk in a gas-oil mix for 12 hours.

I saw no signs of any type of dissolving/reaction. If the gas eats the foam at all, then it is VERY minimal and leaves no trace/residue. I figured that over a 12 hour overnight period, if the gas DID eat the foam, there wouldnt be much left at all this morning. Im not sure if this is the best way to check but all of the cut edges on the foam were still at 90 degrees.

If I missed something obvious please let me know. In a way, this is bad because the results almost appear positive. I take no responsibility for someone trying out this (could be) stupid idea, haha.
                          That foam will last a long time in a fuel/oil environment. It will degenerate with age though. You will be cleaning and re-oiling it on a regular basis, so just keep an eye on its condition. My foam is 6mm thick and is cut to the shape of the metal gauze and is secured to the outside of the screen by the frame and light fuse wire.
                          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Hello 49er - what type of foam did you end up using and where did you find you could get it?? Have you used your home made filter for long??
                            thanks

Comment

jetta90, the foam that TonyDa was testing is listed as high density foam.
                              The foam I use on my OEM airbox is a low density foam similar in appearance and colour to what is used for car washing sponges. The only visual difference is the sheet thickness. I am using this foam sheet as a replacement for the original foam. You can purchase it in various thicknesses at any rubber wholesaler over here.
                              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X